Forum

Angry TS3 Server on Windows 7 - Issues w/ external conn.

I upgraded my PC that i use as a server from Windows XP 32-bit to Windows 7 32-bit to take advantage of the MCE and Homegroup on my network. My server hosts all of my media files and downloaded backups (2TB HDD). BUT ever since i upgraded it to Windows 7, i cannot get external connections on the server. I ran a backup server copied to my Desktop running windows 7 64-bit for the duration of the upgrade on the server, and users were able to connect fine after opening the port in my router. However, when i put the TS3 back on the server with the newly installed windows 7, i can only connect via local IP (192.168.x.x), and not via external connection (98.215.x.x) like i used to be able to on my desktop and the older windows xp server.

Here are my settings for the server, and the various things i've tried:
    Router: DMZ enabled to IP x.x.x.148 (server w/ windows 7 w/ TS3)
    Server IP manually configured to x.x.x.148 and DNS manually configured (checked settings: internet access enabled)
    Windows firewall ts3server_win32 exception: UDP/TCP all ports outbound allowed - inbound all ports allowed on both Home/Private/Public networks

LAN Connection: cat6 1.0gbps wired connection

i have tried turning the firewall off completely, removing it from protecting the LAN connection, and adding other exceptions to inbound/outbound connections with TS3. I have tried adding DMZ to MAC address rather than IP address with no luck. i've tried editing the .ini settings to bind the server to the external IP, the internal IP, and the gateway IP, with no luck in anything.

The ironic part is that GameTracker.com banners show the server is online, and TSViewer.com shows the channel list and online players (only me unfortunately lol) but yet nobody can connect from external.

I run a 24/7 server and i have alot of activity on it so i have been messing with it constantly trying new things with no luck whatsoever. If anyone here has any idea whatsoever on what i may be doing wrong, please help me because i am absolutely STUMPED! even if you can point me in the right direction, i will try anything (except going back to windows XP).

Thank you in advance!

If TSViewer and GameTracker see your server then it seems to be a problem w/ the voice port since those two use a different port query your server.

I realize this but DMZ on the router is enabled for the server's IP address within the local network, therefore all ports are open. It's weird and i can't get it working right

Which router do you own?

I have the Linksys Gigabit Wireless N Router (Model: WRT320N) and i was using this router on the same server using DMZ while it was running Windows XP and it worked just fine with no problems, but ever since i upgraded it to Windows 7 it started having problems connecting with external IP, so it's not the router, because i even performed several router resets.

I recently reset my cable modem, and my IP address changed, and after that it seemed to connect fine via External IP, but i am still checking it to be sure this isnt a temporary thing. I will reboot the machine a couple times and see if it still works, since it sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. I am almost convinced that windows 7 doesn't like TS3 servers lol. Either that or my IP just needed changed (ISP didnt like it).

Good to hear you got it to work for you. I run my locally hosted test server under Win7 x86 and haven't had any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilzEye View Post
    I recently reset my cable modem, and my IP address changed, and after that it seemed to connect fine via External IP, but i am still checking it to be sure this isnt a temporary thing. I will reboot the machine a couple times and see if it still works, since it sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. I am almost convinced that windows 7 doesn't like TS3 servers lol. Either that or my IP just needed changed (ISP didnt like it).
    windows vista/7 really put alot of check and balances into network security then made them as hard as possible to reach. that's why my server is still XP. you might try disabling windows firewall and using a 3rd party firewall that you can manage more easily

I found that I had to enable both the application and the port in the firewall. Also check your Antivirus/FW.

Thread Information