Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

How to manage 5 guilds and channel join permissions?

This is our current situation:

We have 5 guild.
    Each guild has a dedicated channel for them.
    In addition we have one common channel.

Each guild member should be able to join the the guild specific channel.
    Each guild member should be able to join the common channel.
    Each guild member should _not_ be able to join a guild channel he is not a member of.

We would like to be able to use server groups in order to easily assign clients to a server group and the groups grant the client the permissions to join the specific channels.

So far we have not been able to figure out how to achieve that.

Any suggestions are gratefully appreciated.

At the moment this is only possible with Channel Groups in a laborius way.

For the guild-channels you have to give each member access to this specific channel with a channelgroup.
    Give a needed join power of 50 to the guild-channel. To grant access add the user to this channel group in this specific channel. You have to do this with each member and if someone leaves the guild you have to remove each user again from the channel-group in this channel.

My guild uses Active Directory to manage rights, I'm still puzzled about how I'm gonna combine TS3 with AD

Some users have suggested an authentication plug-in system, don't know if it is something the TS3 Dev team is looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by 166_MMX View Post
    This is our current situation:

We have 5 guild.
    Each guild has a dedicated channel for them.
    In addition we have one common channel.

Each guild member should be able to join the the guild specific channel.
    Each guild member should be able to join the common channel.
    Each guild member should _not_ be able to join a guild channel he is not a member of.

We would like to be able to use server groups in order to easily assign clients to a server group and the groups grant the client the permissions to join the specific channels.

So far we have not been able to figure out how to achieve that.

Any suggestions are gratefully appreciated.

This is very easily to be achieved.

first, channel group setup

- guests = join power of 0
    - guild members = join power of 10 (or whatever)

and since the root of the guild channel should be the "public" channel, just have a guild member enter the public channel, and have the channel admin (assuming probably the guild leader) give the "guild member" channel permission to the user.

Now, working on the other sub channels, make sure that the sub channel's needed join power is greater than 0, but less or equals to 10 (or whatver you set on the guild member status)

you got your steup

You can do it like willy_sunny wrote, but this can be a lot of work.

If you have 5 guilds with 20 members you have to assign 100 members the channel group. If members leave and join each guild you have to revoke and grant the channelgroup in the right channels.

It would be much easier if you could allow one or more servergroups to join a channel.

If you add a new channel only for one guild you have to redo the above for all members of the guild.

@166_MMX

I think the easiest thing would be to password each "restricted" channel for the guilds. Let the guilds be in charge of their passwords and call it a day. As Server Admin you should have the permission b_channel_join_ignore_password so it won't matter what password the guild uses. Then you can use the server groups to place the individual in a guild.

Server Group examples
    Server Admin
    Guild 1
    Guild 2

You can use passwords, but you don't who has the password and you can't make some one forget the password.

If you don't want that someone elsa than guildmates can join the channel you have to change the password each time someone leaves this guild. And also if someone unauthorized gets the password you have to change it and give it to everyone authorized.

You don't have control over who has the password.

@Gantor

Yeah that is a downfall and I don't know the exact setup. IF the guild leaders are going to manage the channels for their guild this is a good idea but if it will be left to Server Admin then it may not be so easy.

He could use the password and then give client specific privileges to the guild admins that would allow them to kick/ban players. Obviously these have to be lower than the SA stuff or the guild admin could boot the SA.

@166_MMX

Explain the setup a bit. Are the guild leaders friends or trusted people? Will they be entrusted to manage their respective channels?

Have you thought about using tokens to add (or rather "let join") people to the channel groups? Then you don't have to manually add them all, but just create a bunch of tokens, put them in a list and give it to the guild leader (or whoever manages the guildmember), and he can give it out to the guildmembers anytime - and they can join the group via tokens by themselves.

You have to create the groups of course, and you have to remove the users manually...but at least you dont have to add them all one by one...

The downside however is that you can only be in one channel group, so if one of the users is member in two of those guilds...its basically screwed :P

If you cant use channel groups you have to use channel specific permissions I guess, which means someone will have to manually set it for every single client.

Maybe it's also possible to use the backward approach: not to give them rights, but remove rights for certain channels via the b_client_is_priority_speaker feature...if you create the guild channels and one channel group for all of them. Basically the channel and client specific set permissions work only within a certain scope of channels...e.g. if you have the priority speaker for one guild channel you have all the rights you need there, but even though you are in a "common" permission group that would give you rights in different channels those are blocked by the priority speaker. That way you can (with a bit of work) prepare for the possibility of someone that should have permission to join 2 out of the 5 channels (which wouldn't be possible if you need a certain channel group for each channel).

And if everything fails...just set up a few virtual TS3 servers

Thanks for all your responses so far

You gave me quite some new insights about the permissions system.

Background info
    The server is administrated by me and another server admin. We didn't delegate any administration work to the guild leaders so far. Also this might not be in the interest of the council.
    So I am searching for a easy to implement and forget solution.

Current implementation
    Right now we have a setup where we have to grant the join power to each channel client relation. And its not working out so well.

Passwords
    As Gantor already mentioned, passwords are weak.
    In my point of view using a password based setup is going to fail at some point.
    That rules out passwords.

Virtual Servers
    Using several virtual servers is not piratical administration wise as you multiply the effort with every instance you create.

Server Groups
    As far as I do understand server groups grand permissions server wide. So granting join power server wide is not working for me as guild members of one guild are not supposed to join a guild channel of another guild.
    That rules out server groups.

Channel Groups
    Also as far as I understand the channel groups are meant for channel administration. So if I would like to lock down Channels and use a channel group to grant access to the channel, I would have to add the channel join power flag to all other channel groups except of the Guest group too. So that a client is not losing his join power when he gets assigned the Voice, Operator or Admin group.
    So far I don't see any issue with that.

But how would I add a channel group to a client if the client is not in the channel or maybe even not on the server.
    I have not found any GUI for doing that without actually having the client being in the channel.
    I don't want to use the tokens as this would involve the client to take action. Also the client could pass the token (this is not so important for my setup, but maybe for yours). Also using tokens would give you the possibility to add the channels groups to the clients, in an pending state, but not remove them via a GUI.
    Right now I see my self faced using the ServerQuery in order to add the channel groups to the clients.

The setup with the public channels and a private sub-channel will create quite some unnecessary overhead.
    Our current setup includes a lot of public channels and a handful private channels. The private channels are rarely used.

Conclusion
    Right now it looks like we will go for the channel group approach as it seams to be a clean implementation with the least amount of administration time involved. The setup effort will be a bit higher but it might be lower in long term.

Please let me know if you find any errors in my assumptions or if you would suggest a different solution.

There is one way a little diff than the rest in this post (don't have to use the talk power in example) http://forum.teamspeak.com/showpost....4&postcount=17, it is an example and it does take the admins to do it but the person does not have to be there but must have been on the server at one time or the other so that they are in the data base. You may be able to mix this with the other ideas.

Hope this helps

Itīs awesome to set it for each Client. Why isnīt there any other solutions for that.

Thread Information