Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Invalid characters in client nickname?

Hello,

is it possible to define characters which cannot used in client nicknames?

In TeamSpeak 2 I could add this in server.ini but in TeamSpeak 3 I didn't found any possibility.

Yes,

just use the ban system, you can use flexible regular expressions, but if you only want to prohibit certain characters something like
    name=.*((a)|(b)|(c)|(d)).*
    will disallow all names including any character a-d. And yes I know there are many more ways to write this, but this once also works for none ascii characters so I like it best.

Hello Peter,

thank you for your answer.

I know the ban list and I know the features of regular expressions and I can use it.

First problem is that ban lists are server specific. I have to add the characters in all virtual servers.

Second thing is server admins have the permission to ignore bans. Reason for this is, that the nicknames of server admins can't use from other users because this names are on the ban list.

Is it possible to add the possiblity to forbid some characters?

I have a solution ...

So you just use the specific client rights to make yourself and any other people you want immune to bans and then take the ignore-ban away from the server admin group. It does not matter if you have the charters correct ? But if you want the group as a whole not to and specific people to be able to the only solution would be to use the specific client permission system.

Hope this was answering the right question...
    Outsider

Hello Outsider,

thank you for your answer.

Problem is that nobody should have this characters.

Reason for this is, the log file could be manipulated with inverted comma (') in name. I have described this in another thread: http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthread.php?t=52921

The server admins and I know this and not uses this character so it would be possible to forbid this character in ban list. Howerver in my opinion this is no good solution for the problem.

Kick users with bad names

How can I setup a system to kick users with names that are not allowed, with a kick message of "change your name and try again". I know there are bots that do this, but I can't use a bot at the moment.

to actually kick/ban users you would need some sort of bot. You could just ban the names/characters all together...

http://forum.teamspeak.com/showpost....23&postcount=2

Thread Information