Forum

Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] Tab Friendly Hotkeys

Summary:
    Problem - You can not have hotkeys that act only in the current tab (server).
    Solution - Have a check box option when binding a hotkey that will limit the function only to the current active "tab" (server).

The issue:
    As far as I can tell... the current hotkey implementation is extremely powerful except for a small head-ache when working in multiple servers. The problem I will describe will likely only be relevant to a tiny portion of advanced users like myself who need to accomplish complex TeamSpeak solutions.

I use tabs to simulate Ventrilo's "Phantoms" feature by connecting to the same server in a new tab and moving that user "instance" into the channel I need to hear. I personally think that this is vastly more powerful than Vent's phantoms and has amazing functional potential. But there is a problem with this. Hotkeys. Let me describe the scenario. You are in-game (read: you cannot afford to access the Teamspeak window and must perform actions through hotkeys), and you need to hear what is happening in the adjacent channels (squad channels) and speak to those channels.

You have a whisper key to all the squad channels you need to shout orders to, but you can't hear them unless they set-up a whisper key as well (let's just take it for granted that it is unreasonable, for some reason or another, to have the other players set-up their own whiper configurations either because of changing players, or ad-hoc participants, etc.).

So, you have a key bound to open a copy of the server in a new tab (a phantom). Here's where the difficulty begins. You'd like to switch to that sever tab (via a next server hotkey) and then move that instance into the proper channel (via a switch channels hotkey) that you need to listen into and communicate with. You have a key bound to join that specific channel, except that when you hit the switch channel hotkey, BOTH of your server instances switch, instead of just the one in the active "tab" (server).

I'm not saying that this is counter intuitive, because it only seems counter intuitive in this specific situation. Obviously you want global hotkeys, because having hotkeys that only work in the current tab would force the need to launch multiple instances of the Teamspeak application for when connected to multiple virtual servers.

The real way to do this would be to create another hotkey profile you say? Well... without exiting the game... how would you switch to the new hotkey profile? You could set up a hotkey to switch hotkey profiles... except that then BOTH server instances (tabs) will switch hotkey profiles. And even if you could do this, then you'd quickly run out of keys to bind since I use many key-bindings, and would need new keys to bind for each profile (I use 4 instances for 4 squads, and have 16 keys bound [the whole numpad], for muting, changing capture profiles, whispering, switching channels, admin functions, etc.).

I could get into the reasons why I do this, but suffice it to say that I DO need to do this as I have a complex squad based system of communication with my team of players; this ability can have many other advantages in practical applications of Teamspeak besides just gaming communication. Please don't offend me by replying "you should simplify your system", or "jeeze that's lunacy"... There should not be such a complex hotkey system or permissions system unless this new TS3 is focused on power and potential. I'm just trying to actualize the potential of this amazing program. And with the addition of this suggested functionality, I see a huge increase in possibilities. Besides, the point of conversation is not on my specific scenario (I only provided it to illustrate the issue), but rather to discuss whether or not having hotkeys that will only affect the current tab (server) will be beneficial. IMO it will vastly improve working with server tabs. It may even be worth-while to make the default restrictive, and allow for hotkeys that affect all tabs... either would be a viable solution in my eyes.

The solution:
    Implement functionality that will allow you to chose whether a hotkey will be confined to the current tab, or will affect all open servers with the same hotkey profile. I think that the easiest way to do this might be to add a check box to the "add hotkey" dialog box, somethign along the lines of: "Confine to current server" or "Active tab/server only"; or make that the default, and instead have the check box enable "Do not confine to active tab" or "Affect all tabs (with same profile)". I'm pretty sure this functionality can be implemented and I bet it wouldn't be to difficult seeing as when you hit the disable speaker button in the TS3 window, it effects only the current tab/server and not all of them (like the hotkey does). This would allow someone to switch between tabs and manipulate each one with hotkeys individually, without affecting the other tabs.
    Last edited by ZenPhire; April 8th, 2010 at 06:41 PM.

Hi

I've found myself in a similar situation, but it was with toggle statuses. Even though i don't find this as a big deal, it surely is a must have feature, cause it would provide a huge flexibility, and of course, it would be more user friendly.

Regards

New England USA / Marnbach, Weilheim i.OB, Germany
    I was going to take a video of what I experienced that relates to this.

I was connected to two servers and had my sound muted on ONE of the servers (server 1). I then selected the other server (server 2) and was playing a game and talking. I have my num-pad '2' bound as my hotkey to mute my sound. I wanted to mute the people talking in server 2 so I pressed my num-pad 2 and default TTS said sound resumed. It activated sound in server 1 and disabled it in server 2 which was my desire, but default TTS said that my mic was activated (which it was in server 1). I was confused to pressed my num-pad 2 again. Default TTS said sound disabled which it did in server 1 but enabled it in server 2. I was trying to take a video to describe what was going on but failed in doing so. I couldn't get camstudio to record default TTS...

If this doesn't make sense say so and I'll try to clarify, it gets pretty confusing and I may have messed up the description a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by -{HGH}-GEN.Skylab View Post
    I was going to take a video of what I experienced that relates to this.

I was connected to two servers and had my sound muted on ONE of the servers (server 1). I then selected the other server (server 2) and was playing a game and talking. I have my num-pad '2' bound as my hotkey to mute my sound. I wanted to mute the people talking in server 2 so I pressed my num-pad 2 and default TTS said sound resumed. It activated sound in server 1 and disabled it in server 2 which was my desire, but default TTS said that my mic was activated (which it was in server 1). I was confused to pressed my num-pad 2 again. Default TTS said sound disabled which it did in server 1 but enabled it in server 2. I was trying to take a video to describe what was going on but failed in doing so. I couldn't get camstudio to record default TTS...

If this doesn't make sense say so and I'll try to clarify, it gets pretty confusing and I may have messed up the description a bit...
    I do something similar to this in order to get a semblance of multi tab and hotkey functionality. Except you can't do anything like this for channel-switching-hotkeys (or switching hotkey profiles). =P... And if you are in more than 2 servers, it gets ridiculous trying to manage it all.

I certainly think that this added functionality would make using multiple tabs workable. Otherwise, there's virtually no difference to running multiple TS3 client instances. (besides the auto disable mic for non-active tabs of course... but wouldn't it make more sense to just have the hotkeys only affect the current tab?)

I think the devs should get rid of the mute all other tabs, and just have hotkeys only active for the current tab. I think it's a little backwards and reversed having the hotkeys cross-tab (global), and the buttons tab-specific (local instanced). I think it should be the other way around. Because you really need the hotkeys when juggling multiple tabs.

I use the tabs functionality to achieve the "phantom" functionality found in Ventrilo (you can create a "phantom" [like a copy of yourself] in another channel) so that I can hear what is going on in other channels as well as your own. Achieving this functionality via TS3's tab system (creating multiple instances of myself on the same server via tabs), promises amazing functionality as I can also speak to each channel.

This could be very useful when dealing when administrating multiple focus groups or think-tanks and moving between each one while still monitoring the discussion of the others. Or tracking multiple rooms for signs of conflict, moving throughout multiple virtual conferences with ease and not missing any channel-text-chat. There are endless applications for moderators and those who are prone to multi-tasking. And many solutions for gaming, in providing squad-based, hierarchic, or other complex communications structures to streamline and organize communications for larger gaming sessions.

I personally can't wait for this functionality as it will allow me to do so much more with TS3 in moderating and providing solutions for team training and ad-hoc focus group discussions.

PLEASE make this a feature! Or at least make it so that hotkeys only affect the current server tab! (except for maybe ONE multi-tab hotkey for muting all sound ) I think that would be an elegant and simple solution.

Thank you!

Do the developers comment in these suggestion threads when they are considering implementing them?

Does anyone know if this functionality could be accomplished via a plug-in or add-on? Are there hooks for the hotkey functionality?

Thank you =)

Perhaps you can help me understand something becasue i'm a bit confused. Do your 'phantoms' have any reason to be able to do anything besides say mute their speakers? Do they really need a hotkey profile? You can do everything to the 'base' user or did i miss something somewhere?

Yes, because without the separation, those other instances are useless unless all you need to do is place them in one spot and then never touch them. And even that's a chore with how it currently is, because you must create each instance, then manually assign each phantom a blank hotkey profile, and then you can't do anything with them but listen. The added functionality would allow you do move them around and have infinitely more functionality without having to leave whatever other application/game. =)

Thread Information