Forum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I just checked, those files are rwxr-xr-x, and server starts fine without any modification of the permissions. Maybe you extracted as a different user or have a weird umask set. Archive looks fine in any case.
    I really do not know what happend this time. Never had any problems before. I think i'll redownload the files and check what happens then. For me even the root user had no rights and i did everything as i did before. We'll see

thanks so far
    Phil

Iam not sure if that belongs to some of you, but in the past i have some peoples in the public ts support channel which have a problems to start there ts3 on linux servers.

Solution: Please dont extract the files from the tar.gz package and upload them through ftp to the server. Windows and linux are working a litle bit different with these files.

Download the packed file directly from to server and extract it there.

Quote Originally Posted by ScP View Post
    Update of Linux/x86: The x86 linux server was requiring a unnecessary high version of glibc, this problem was fixed and the installer was replaced by an updated version.
    Hi, I have tried to upgrade the server from beta21 to beta22 on Linux x86 but it will not start. It gives the error
    /lib/i686/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3.4' not found (required by ./ts3server_linux_x86)
    All previous beta versions have worked fine - so have the C library version system requirements changed in this beta?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 42diesel View Post
    All previous beta versions have worked fine - so have the C library version system requirements changed in this beta?
    Hey,

yes I found annother (small) requirement and removed it, a new version that fixes (only) this problem is available here:

http://ftp.4players.de/pub/hosted/ts...odo-so/server/

please tell us if it works for you.
    You think my answer is stupid ? Read This:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

In a world without fences and walls - who needs windows and gates ?

Thanks Peter! That works perfectly.

Hey,

yes I found annother (small) requirement and removed it, a new version that fixes (only) this problem is available here:

http://ftp.4players.de/pub/hosted/ts...odo-so/server/

please tell us if it works for you.
    Almost there for me. I just get the dreaded epoll error:
    Code:
    $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. ./ts3server_linux_x86                                                      
    TeamSpeak Server 3.0.0-beta23 [Build: 10896M]
    (c)TeamSpeak Systems GmbH

Logging started
    2010-05-12 23:58:16.961770|INFO    |ServerLibPriv |   | Server Version: 3.0.0-beta23 [Build: 10896M], Linux
    2010-05-12 23:58:16.964579|INFO    |DatabaseQuery |   | dbPlugin name:    SQLite3 plugin, (c)TeamSpeak Systems GmbH
    2010-05-12 23:58:16.965541|INFO    |DatabaseQuery |   | dbPlugin version: 3.6.21
    2010-05-12 23:58:16.967603|INFO    |DatabaseQuery |   | checking database integrity (may take a while)
    2010-05-12 23:58:17.027102|INFO    |SQL           |   | pruning old database log entries where timestamp is older than 90 days
    ./ts3server_linux_x86: relocation error: ./ts3server_linux_x86: symbol epoll_create, version GLIBC_2.3.2 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
    Could you please compile it without epoll support in glibc? It would be very much appreciated for those of us who really can't upgrade their glibc (or distro) without breaking too many things to count.

Thank you.

hello
    i want to know about the "Group Auto Update", i made a new group and used
    "Value 3: The group will be handled like 'Server Normal". so how this will work?
    i mean when server restart it will grant all the privileges i need, or what?

thx

the auto update is so that if in the future new permissions are included they will be assigned values commensurate to the type of group it is. Everything is based off of the default server groups. On my server only the SA group gets this function. The SA can decide if and when any other group will get a new permission.

Exclamation

Can a dev please comment on this post ?

The devs really need to not use functions like epoll_create for the linux builds. They are not portable enough for an applications like ts3server that's distributed only in binary form (no sources) and expected to have a wide target audience. There really are more systems with poor or no epoll support built into the kernels (especially many vendor-build kernels) so by using these epoll functions many linux (and apparently FreeBSD) users are being totally needlessly excluded.

Thank you.

like already said, close to final we will do a freebsd server build. this wont include epoll.

Also please note that epoll is available since kernel 2.5.44 and glibc 2.3.2. Glibc 2.3.2 we
    require anyhow (for some pthread calls that we can't easily remove), so epoll is not adding
    ANY additional glibc requirement, the only thing is adds to the requirement list is to use a 2.6.x
    kernel...a kernel which has been available for 7+ years. Epoll functionality is an important
    performance component and disabling it is not an option for us. The BSD issue will be fixed
    by a dedicated build, for those linux users still on 2.4.x kernel (< 0.01%) it's tough luck, you don't
    meet our minimal system requirements.

Also please note that epoll is available since kernel 2.5.44 and glibc 2.3.2. Glibc 2.3.2 we
    require anyhow (for some pthread calls that we can't easily remove), so epoll is not adding
    ANY additional glibc requirement, the only thing is adds to the requirement list is to use a 2.6.x
    kernel...a kernel which has been available for 7+ years. Epoll functionality is an important
    performance component and disabling it is not an option for us. The BSD issue will be fixed
    by a dedicated build, for those linux users still on 2.4.x kernel (< 0.01%) it's tough luck, you don't
    meet our minimal system requirements.
    Thank you very much for commenting on this Peter. However, I feel I need to point out a few things here.

1) Not all glibc-2.3.2 builds (mainly a problem with some prebuilt packages that also came with some distros) out there have proper epoll support (epoll_create and such aren't implimented.) The only way around that is building a new glibc from source (same version tends to be easiest, but it's stil la real PITA if you've ever tried to compile 2.3.2 from source - 2.3.4 compiles much easier in my experience but 2.3.2 was a bit of a mess, although still doable.)

2) I do a lot of contract work and so I'm always working with different boxes all the time, and so, I can tell you that your "statistic" of kernel 2.4 being in the "< 0.01%" range couldn't be furthur from the truth. From just the systems I've had to work with in 2009 to today, I'd say more thna half were running a 2.4 kernel, usually because of something propietary (and source-less) that doesn't function under 2.6 properly.

3 and lastly) It's a shame you want to use such needlessly high systems requirements. Also, I've never EVER i nthe last 10 years seen a worth while performance increase from using epoll over the more standard poll functions, so this insistance on sticking with epoll will not really be benefiting anyone to real degree.

Again, thank you very much for commenting, it's nice to finally hear from the dev's point of view. And thank you for mentioning there will be a version without the epoll reliance.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxexpertxXx View Post
    whens da next server update? Its ben several years now! still dont see that the anti flood is 100% working properly! hehe still waiting for that to be fixed!
    Several years ? must be mistaken... some weeks/month, but years ? ^^

As stated be the team, a new update should come out quite soon

Quote Originally Posted by blzsr View Post
    3 and lastly) It's a shame you want to use such needlessly high systems requirements. Also, I've never EVER i nthe last 10 years seen a worth while performance increase from using epoll over the more standard poll functions, so this insistance on sticking with epoll will not really be benefiting anyone to real degree.
    Hey,

there obviously are VERY few people with no 2.6 kernel out there, since you are the first linux user mentioning epoll being a problem for you. Sure we have had complains from BSD folks who have trouble running the epoll code in their linux emulation toolis, but no linux users before you.

Also this is interesting stuff with regards to performance:
    http://lse.sourceforge.net/epoll/index.html

Hey,

there obviously are VERY few people with no 2.6 kernel out there, since you are the first linux user mentioning epoll being a problem for you. Sure we have had complains from BSD folks who have trouble running the epoll code in their linux emulation toolis, but no linux users before you.

Also this is interesting stuff with regards to performance:
    http://lse.sourceforge.net/epoll/index.html
    Actually I'm hardly the first to mention "epoll issues", in fact I encountered several threads on the matter previously when searching. And it wasn't just from BSD users.

Also what you seem to be failing to realize is a lot of people are still on TS2 (some people don't like using beta software), and when TS3 is fully released you can be sure there will be far more people taking issue.

That said it's a good idea to upgrade things, but you cannot just assume everyone has this as an option. As for my self, I am hoping to get this box on a recent 2.6 kernel sometime soon but being a live system that wont be easy, especially since anything else that's ever been thrown at it has run flawlessly, TS3 being the only thing pushing these special requirements.

Why is it so many other binary-only-distributed software can function without special requirements like these? Ventrilo server being one, Steam game servers being another, both of which are quite modern as well. Think about that for a second.

Thread Information