Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    December 2009
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    6

    Post TS3 Review from a MMoRPG View.

    Wow, I have waited so long for TS3 to come out and hoped it would be everything TS2 and Ventrilo were and more. However I am MAJORLY disappointed in the features of TS3 vs. other chat programs. I am a big MMoRPG fan and for the longest time Ventrilo has been the voice chat of choice due to its features. One big feature for MMoRPG’s is the ability to hide channels from guest users. This is needed because some of your PVP games such as Darkfall Online, people will try to log onto a Ventrilo to see how many people are coming to attack you. Not being able to hide channels hinders the use of TS3 in games such as this. Also, another big FLAW in TS3 is the fact that ANYONE can impersonate anyone else, NO saved usernames at all. I know TS3 security is done per IP or Computer; however when you have NO SECRUITY per passwords, per user then every tom dick and harry that has multiple computers and multiple proxy servers can keep coming into your TS3 server to see who is logged in ECT. I can hear it now, well put a server password then they can’t log in. Well a server passworded server has a HUGE and I am talking black hole in outer space HUGE flaw. In the case of MMoRPG’s one person can join your clan, write down the password and then pass that password around to his entire friend list that is your enemies. Then they are all free to log in at will and have fun talking, and seeing who is logged in. Then you say oh just change the password, well that is not very practical when you have to give the password out to let’s say a 100 people. Over 80% would not get the password, and well in Darkfall you don’t have time to be screwing around with giving people a password when you’re getting your butt attacked.

    I had really hoped that TS3 would blow the pants off of the other voice communication programs on the market, but it didn’t just fall short it fell off into a deep unused hole in space.
    To make TS3 viable for the MMoRPG market it will have to have Per User Passwords, and the ability to totally HIDE channels below a dedicated Guest channel.
    Other than those 2 BIG flaws TS3 I believe can be a great Voice communications program and has great potential. But until they fix these issues, Ventrilo will still be the voice chat of choice for hundreds of thousands of users.

    Please don’t think of this post as a RANT, please think of this post as a MMoRPG Players review for the vitality of TS3 vs. other chat programs on the market.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Location
    New England USA / Marnbach, Weilheim i.OB, Germany
    Posts
    425
    I don't see this as a rant, but I do see it coming from someone who hasn't done much research and has failed to ask the right questions.

    On my server, I have channels password protected, but on top of that, using channel permissions set the needed join power to 25 so in case the password got out to a guest, he'd click the channel, type in the password, but fail on needed join power. My members are in a specific group with 25 join power and this is only editable for the server admin.

    On top of this, I have a special channel for myself with needed subscribe power. That is, no one with a subscribe power lower than XXX can subscribe to the channel and be able to see who is in designated channel.

    If you do some research and ask the right questions, you will see that TS3 more than satisfies your needs and does it with style. I'm already blown away and TS3 is still in beta...what will they add next? Make a suggestion if it hasn't been suggested already!

    If you need help with any of this, be sure to ask! There are many good people here that are prepared to help you out! In fact, feel free to private message me and we'll get in contact, I'd love to help you out!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    February 2006
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    4,143
    @BreeOge
    It is true what -{HGH}-GEN.Skylab, you have not done any research or most of the "complaints" you have would not be listed above. If you can't find the answer ASK A QUESTION. We've got an awesome community here and many times you'll get an answer w/ in 24 hours or less.

    Also, remember TS3 is still in BETA. The devs DO listen to the community and are actively engaged with us to fix problems as well as add/adjust features of this program.


    http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=faq
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...t=hide+channel
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showpost....3&postcount=11
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...ghlight=unique
    Last edited by poisonpanik; April 14th, 2010 at 07:18 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    December 2009
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    6
    I understand you guys THINK that is what I am looking for, and that I have not done any searching. I in fact HAVE done searching on the forums and those were not the answers I was looking for. Searching the forums is the first thing I always do when checking for solutions to a problem.

    I see that you can hide the people in the channel other than what they are in, this is one I did miss in my search, however I found many more just complaining and the Devs saying they will never put it in. Sorry didn't see it or had the time to search through 100's of messages with 99% all saying in the end Devs won’t do it.

    As for the names, Name reservation is not an acceptable solution unless it will have a password along with it. Then it would be acceptable and not so much be a reservation as much as a login.

    Right now if you are NOT online anyone else can login with your name and act as if they are you. Yes true they will not have your permissions, but just the fact of saying “I reloaded my computer” Would fool more than you think.

    I appreciate the feedback from everyone, and Poisonpanik did show me one I had missed in my searches, thank you. I also understand it’s still in beta, that’s partially why I posted this now and not after, so maybe the devs would look at it from a hard core MMoRPG player prospective. BTW World of WarCraft is not Hard core so don’t say it applies.

    I really appreciate the replies everyone has posted so far; I defiantly read them for anything I may have missed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    February 2006
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    4,143
    As for the names, Name reservation is not an acceptable solution unless it will have a password along with it. Then it would be acceptable and not so much be a reservation as much as a login.
    Do you really understand how TS3 works?? Your ID is tied to a unique ID (essentially a strong password) so I do not understand why you would call this unacceptable. The Devs have already said they will not go back to a username/password function for accessing a server.

    If you are truly worried about someone impersonating someone else on TS3 then don't go and give them SA or any other powerful server group until you have verified who they are...


    I understand you guys THINK that is what I am looking for, and that I have not done any searching. I in fact HAVE done searching on the forums and those were not the answers I was looking for. Searching the forums is the first thing I always do when checking for solutions to a problem.
    So you've searched for answers but yet you ask no questions when you do not find the answer you are looking for What exactly are you looking for?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    November 2009
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    379
    they will be adding Name reservations based of the Unique ID also, this is on their todo list.

    I agree with the other 2 people in this thread.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    December 2009
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    6
    Name Reserved with the ID would be acceptable, and you are correct that would be a strong form of auth. Downside is if someone decided to log in at someone elses house, they would not be able to do so.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    November 2009
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by BreeOge View Post
    Name Reserved with the ID would be acceptable, and you are correct that would be a strong form of auth. Downside is if someone decided to log in at someone elses house, they would not be able to do so.
    true, which is why you can export your identities to an ini. file, if i was playing a LAN at someone elses house i could just bring a memory stick with me, or i could email it to myself aswell meaning anywhere i go, just login to my email and grab it from there.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    February 2006
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    4,143
    export your identities to an ini. file
    This is something I am constantly telling people to do here in the forums. Backup that identity because if you ever uninstall TS or get a virus and have to reformat you lose the identity in TS, unless of course you have it backed up. This is even more important for those that have admin status on the server.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    October 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,522

    Exclamation some corrections

    Hello BreeOge.

    I've just read your posting and I think you need to fiddle with TeamSpeak 3 some more before you can judge our work.



    Quote Originally Posted by BreeOge View Post
    One big feature for MMoRPG’s is the ability to hide channels from guest users. This is needed because some of your PVP games such as Darkfall Online, people will try to log onto a Ventrilo to see how many people are coming to attack you. Not being able to hide channels hinders the use of TS3 in games such as this.
    This is possible using the permission system. Simply add a value for the i_needed_channel_subscribe_power of the channel you want to "hide" and none of your guests will be able to see who's in that channel.

    Quote Originally Posted by BreeOge View Post
    Also, another big FLAW in TS3 is the fact that ANYONE can impersonate anyone else, NO saved usernames at all. I know TS3 security is done per IP or Computer; however when you have NO SECRUITY per passwords, per user then every tom dick and harry that has multiple computers and multiple proxy servers can keep coming into your TS3 server to see who is logged in ECT.
    You did not understand our authentication system at all. Instead of using a combination of username and password, the TeamSpeak 3 Client creates unique identities which are stored and tracked by every TeamSpeak 3 Server you're connecting to. This identities can be exported and imported so you can easily transfer your settings to another computer. You're even able to copy your TeamSpeak 3 Client application including all configuration files on any USB stick and use it as a mobile version of TS3.

    Of course you can change your nickname to impersonate someone else, but you can **NOT** fake his identity. In addition, you can use the contacts feature of the TeamSpeak 3 Client to manage a list of your buddies. Please keep in mind that it's your job to protect your data, not ours. We can only provide you with the tools you need.

    If one of them re-installed his/her computer and you're unable to recognize them by voice, use tokens and send them to the client via email or instant messenger so you can be sure the permissions will be granted to the right person. It's all just a matter of how you use the TeamSpeak 3 feature set.

    Quote Originally Posted by BreeOge View Post
    I can hear it now, well put a server password then they can’t log in. Well a server passworded server has a HUGE and I am talking black hole in outer space HUGE flaw. In the case of MMoRPG’s one person can join your clan, write down the password and then pass that password around to his entire friend list that is your enemies. Then they are all free to log in at will and have fun talking, and seeing who is logged in. Then you say oh just change the password, well that is not very practical when you have to give the password out to let’s say a 100 people. Over 80% would not get the password, and well in Darkfall you don’t have time to be screwing around with giving people a password when you’re getting your butt attacked.
    You're wrong again. Just set a password on your server and use the permission system to allow your clan/guild members to ignore the password on connect. The permission you need is called b_virtualserver_join_ignore_password.

    Please check this tutorial to learn how to use the permission system:

    http://www.youtube.com/teamspeak#p/u/1/Z6QhwNVMIww

    Regards
    Sven
    Last edited by ScP; April 17th, 2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: typo alert :P

  11. #11
    Join Date
    December 2009
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    313
    Wow, ScP is sure angry o_O

    Everybody run! XD

    But yeah, BeeOrge, TS3 is really a great tool. You just need to take your time and play with its features, and I'm sure you'll love it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    October 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,522
    Quote Originally Posted by willy_sunny View Post
    Wow, ScP is sure angry o_O
    I'm not angry at all... just wanted to clarify some things here.

    And now run for your life!!!


  13. #13
    Join Date
    February 2006
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    4,143
    LOL, I just now noticed that ScP has the title "Teamspeak General Servant".

  14. #14
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Location
    Secret Base in Arctic Region
    Posts
    1,671
    Just like dante, who calls himself
    Occupation
    Slave of TS3 Dev's

  15. #15
    Join Date
    November 2009
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    379
    this thread is officially full of win.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. View user's IP next to name
    By chris30o0 in forum Client Plugins / Lua Scripts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 13th, 2014, 12:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •