Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[Suggestion] Bring back Logins

Hey,

I am wanting TS3 to bring back the login functionality. My reason being is that what happens if someone who uses the same computer has an SA on the TS server. Someone then logs on TS and they now have SA and does serious damage to the server. Can you please bring back user login authentication (along with tokens). I also need it because i want only the logged on user to be able to join certain channels.

Your 1st problem can be solved by using different accounts on the PC. Different accounts won't have access to the SA identities.

your 2nd problem can be solved with permissions. Just add join power to the specified channels. Add the 'logged' users into the normal group and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss Of Games View Post
    My reason being is that what happens if someone who uses the same computer has an SA on the TS server.
    This case we handled with the so called "master password" system. Go into options and then "Security"..if you set a master password all sensitive data in your entire config file (identities passwords etc.) will be encrypted using this password, and you will need to enter the master password when starting teamspeak to decrypt this data...
    This way, as long as you close your teamspeak client when leaving the pc to the other person you can be sure nobody will login "as you".

PS: In TS2 the login information username+pw was stored in the bookmarks or quick connect dialog, so even in in TS2 with the login system you would have to be extra careful to erase that every time you log out of TS2 to make sure nobody logs in with your account.

Another way of doing it is ...

do everything in serverquery DDDD

*runs and laughs while being VERY serious*

Well. How do i restrict channels that are my actual members and the guests cannot join these channels?

join_power and needed_join_power

Also consider "b_channel_join_permanent", "b_channel_join_semi_permanent" and "b_channel_join_temporary".

And what poison wanted to say is, that you should set "i_channel_needed_join_power" on channels and "i_channel_join_power" on groups (either server or channel).

yeah that's what I meant... Was doing 10 other things and didn't finish my thought.

@Niranda

Keep a copy of your identity in your e-mail so you can access it from anywhere. I don't think I'd want to login to TS using an admin identity in an internet cafe though....

Devs have said they will not go back to a username/password style system. If you absolutely need your admin identity while on the road then you'll need to either carry it on a portable storage device or store it in your webmail for easy access. I am sure you can come up w/ other options as well.

The whole ID thing is going to fail.
    Sure, I didn't tested everything in Database, f.e. filling login passwords, but following things are more than annoying:

Due to we have more SA's, and also Users which are stating like "I've formated my Computer" this are my issues:

- multiple accounts with different ID's and same Username
    - annoying users with "I need SA"
    - dead Accounts

Way I'm doing it is to hack their new ID's manually in database.
    Also - since I'm able to generate a new ID, the concept of Spam protection is gone...

Users may have their ID's - but they need only their passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Niranda View Post
    But i don't see the uses.
    Store my IDs on extern devices is like storing my Login + PW on extern devices.
    And i dont store my Login + PW on extern devices... also... in my mind it's0 less safety as login + pw
    login + pw is only safe, if you use a very good password.

On the other side, if you really loose your identity, where is the problem?
    An admin should know that he must save the own identity or how he get back admin rights with telnet server query login.

Just an idea:
    For a user you could provide him an identity lost function on the homepage:
    Login to the homepage of the server (maybe clan or community page),
    click a button like "lost identity",
    you get a list of guests on the server,
    choose yourself from the list,
    the homepage sends you a private message on TS3 with some character/number combination which must be entered on the homepage,
    now the homepage identify you and for security reasons it checks if you are an server admin (only continue if not a server admin),
    the homepage change the old identity back to a guest (removes all server groups),
    put the new identity to the member group.

This is one way which is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Juzaa View Post
    The whole ID thing is going to fail.
    Sure, I didn't tested everything in Database, f.e. filling login passwords, but following things are more than annoying:

Due to we have more SA's, and also Users which are stating like "I've formated my Computer" this are my issues:

- multiple accounts with different ID's and same Username
    - annoying users with "I need SA"
    - dead Accounts

Way I'm doing it is to hack their new ID's manually in database.
    Also - since I'm able to generate a new ID, the concept of Spam protection is gone...

Users may have their ID's - but they need only their passes.
    You should know who has SA on your server. Also you can recognize them by voice or something, so to know who really needs what privilege.
    You can do what Stefan wrote too, let those who should have SA and "lost" it, login to your page and verify, than they get a token or promotion when online.

@Stefan1200: Not only username/pass should be strong, but also the encryption algorithm. The best password isnt safe if its stored plain-text or in Cesars Chiffre i. e.

export your identity and email it yourself.

Couple things I say about the identity: export it and store it.

I store mine at an online storage site that is easy to get to without having to install any software where I'm downloading it to. If I were to put it on a ext storage device I would use some encryption software on it or at least in a passworded zip/rar file.

The new system is much better than the old one in almost every way, once you learn it enough to not lose your identity.

Thread Information