Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

[Suggestion] 1 token, multiple server groups

Problem: I would like to be able to assign multiple (varied) server groups for somebody connecting for the first time. Currently, I send them an email or give them a popup with the ts3server link with a token. I would like for it to be a simple 1 click process from the website point of view.
    To be able to do this, you need at least 1 token to get them online or by email, but then you have to also give them tokens for the other server groups you would like to assign them. For various reason I don't want others to manage tokens, I am trying to automate linking a website account with the TS account. Users simply don't understand having to copy/paste multiple tokens after clicking on the first link, to get into the access groups they need. Providing multiple links doesn't work well, because the ts client always wants to open a new tab, and while it grants the server group per that token, the user has to close teamspeak, and log back in with the 1st bookmark in order to see the update. Too complicated.

Solution: Simply allow multiple database entries for the token table, using different token_id1, but the same token_key. I've tested doing that, and the server simply uses the 1st token match it finds, and then deletes all of them.
    It would be nice to have it consider the token_id1 for each unique token it finds and assign the connecting user/token to each server group.

For those that do not have access to their database tables, you could put something in the token manager to allow for multiple groups for each token created.
    Last edited by SShaadd; June 17th, 2010 at 05:52 PM.

Any possibilities on implementing this?

Being able to setup a single registration link for a website user to be in multiple TS3 server groups seems like it could be done by having the server look for additional entries in the token table to assign multiple groups with the same token id, or allow tokenid1 to accept multiple server group ids. The current solution of having multiple links/tokens handed out to join the various groups still seems like it would be confusing to the website user. Any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by SShaadd; May 2nd, 2010 at 12:54 AM.

Any possibility of implementation or consideration?

Quote Originally Posted by florian_fr40 View Post
    The best solution for your actualy, is to create a new group with the permissions that you want.

This way you will have to create only one Privilege Key
    This is what I said. I have multiple groups created with different permissions.
    Some groups are created just for icon inclusion. Some groups have permissions exclusive to that group. They go to the website to 'renew' or get their initial permissions.
    I see what you are saying about creating a single group for every possible combination of the various group permissions, but it would be a lot of groups created, with having to differing icon for each.
    For example: I have
    Officer (with it's own icon)
    TeamA (with it's own icon)
    TeamB ect.
    TS server admin (with it's own icon)
    And I would really like to implement an icon for each rank as others have suggested. You can see the complexity of trying to think of trying to combine every possible combination of groups into one for a single token. It would be far easier just to assign a single token and have multiple groups attached to it in the database. That way, when the member renews/gets their initial token, they only have to deal with one token.
    I'm sure this might be complex to implement on the client interface, but like I said before, it would be really easy to do from the database or serverquery point of view. Those website admins that need this functionality would be quite happy with just the server option. I can generate a custom token by inserting it into the token table multiple times, all with the same token id, but different groups. All that would be required on the server end is iterate thru each group with the same token id and assign permissions, deleting them one at a time as it goes, instead of finding the 1st one, and deleting the rest.

I agree, it would be nice to assign people to multiple groups from the start. For me I have a script generating tokens, as of right now I have to generate the token, then have them send their uid to the server so that it can add them to the groups they have access to. Would be nice to skip a step.

Why don't you simply ask them for their DB uid ? enter it while adding in groups.
    Or when they are online clicking on them and check check-boxes?

I know it's not a solution you wanted, just to make sure pointing out other possibilities.
    You might as well, do an sql query script that will add them to the groups again only thing you need it their DB uid.

As I see it, if you have to send them privilege key or they send you their DB uid its still only one way single message to get it done. The way to deliver msg and security concerns related to such delivery will in case of compromised msg have same result. Doesn't matter what option you use.

Solved [Suggestion] Multiple groups per token (instant user setup in a can)

This thread was merged and rejected

There is a servergroup dialogue where you can assign multiple servergroups to someone via ticking all that are required. Can you implement this feature into token generation so we can set up a token that gives someone all the groups they need? So that:

A code such as UPd9hlzNqkB0i7LUtJU1Fn9+F25l+FEgZ64gaT3c

May give someone the following ServerGroups:

Clan Member
    Forum Moderator
    Squad Leader

etc. It would save a lot of time instead of generating multiple codes and keeping track of everything. That way we can have a token labled as "Wesley" which gives the person everything they need in one fell swoop.
    Last edited by dante696; February 13th, 2013 at 09:23 AM.

If you generate multiple tokens on a regular basis for several (up to maybe hundrets of users) you definitely can use a simple script to generate and email tokens to the users.
    Also an additional table in the sql database structure would be neccessary.

I think your type of use is too specific to implement it.

Should be no different than assigning multiple server groups to one identity, assigning multiple server groups to one token. It would simplify the set up process and the requirements upon the user.

Such feature won't be added.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Any particular reason or feedback?

One token per group this is our meaning behind a privilege key. A normal use of our permisison system does use one group only.
    clans or guild do use more then one group, to add icons, but thats much to customized.

Or "we don't wan't to implement that" :-/
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

I see, oh well.

Thread Information