Forum

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

[RELEASE] Dice rolling plugin

My friends and I like using VOIP applications for our weekly traditional RPG games, as it makes gameplay so much faster than when playing in IRC. To help facilitate our games (and perhaps yours) I've made a small plugin to roll dice.

Many, many thanks to forum member kasp3r for helping me with an inane Microsoft VC++ issue.

Attachment 3328

:: INSTALLATION ::
    Download the correct plugin for either 32bit or 64bit.
    Place the DLL into your Teamspeak's plugin folder.
    Enable the plugin in Teamspeak by going to Settings -> Plugins and checking the Dice Roller checkbox.

:: USAGE ::
    Once the plugin is loaded, simply type a typical 'dice command' enclosed by parentheses. For example, (3d6).

You may also use modifiers to act as bonuses or penalties, like this (1d20-2).

Anybody may use the above commands, not just the person that installed the plugin! For this reason, it is usually a good idea to only have one person at a time in your group with this plugin, and unless all dice rolling will be public, it should be the GM.

:: FEATURES ::
    • Private channel for rolls the GM doesn't want the players to see.
    • Dice rolls can be made in channels or private messages, so the GM and a player may roll dice in private.
    • Only one user (preferably the GM) need load the plugin.
    • Highlighting of natural 1's and natural perfects to help comparing failures and successes for those games that use that system.
    • Uses Mersenne-Twister random algorithm to help make it as random as possible.

:: KNOWN PROBLEMS ::
    Private dice rolling window doesn't appear if you enable the plugin while already connected to a server. Either enable the plugin before connecting, or disconnect and reconnect after enabling the plugin.

:: PLANNED IMPROVEMENTS ::
    A configuration window for ... configurations.
    A popup window with buttons representing dice commands for quick access to often used rolls.
    I'm not entirely happy with how the results look. As I get feedback from the community and my game buddies, I'll hopefully find something better.

:: CHANGE LOG ::
    Updated for API 8.

Updated to version 7 of the API. (What happened to 6?)

Updated to version 5 of API.

Noticed the plugin didn't handle multiple commands on the same line well. Updated to fix this, and now you can add mulitple commands on one line. No spaces are currently allowed in between command parentheses.

Recompiled with DEBUG compiler flags since Teamspeak seems to prefer it that way.

:: DOWNLOADS ::
    Head to our project's download page to get the goods: http://code.google.com/p/ts3dice/downloads/list

As always, please let me know if you like it / hate it / have ideas to improve it. Thanks.
    Last edited by TheCraiggers; September 11th, 2010 at 07:22 PM.

I think the 64bit version of this plugin is buged everytime someone on my server dos the dice command (2d20) my TS3 client crashes. It also crashed the client when have i type the dice command 5 seperate times

Strange, the 64bit version is the one I use, but then again I never roll two d20s at the samee time so maybe there is something specific with that command. I will take a look at that when I get home from work and let you know. Worst case, I might need you to do some debugging for me.

I assume othere dice commands work fine?

Hell, I'm just glad somebody besides me found this at least semi-useful.
    Last edited by TheCraiggers; May 11th, 2010 at 11:29 PM.

OK, this is pretty odd. The reason I never saw this issue is because I'm always using a Debug compile of the plugin... what I uploaded is the Release compile. I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes, but for some reason compiling it in release mode makes it unstable. I'll look into this, but since I can't get any debug info it makes it kinda hard.

In the meantime, I'll just upload the Debug versions for everyone. It doesn't hurt to run it in debug (in theory its a tad slower, but not we'll never notice it on today's computers) and you won't even notice unless you turn the console on.

I've updated the first post with the new plugin downloads. Please download / install and let me know the outcome. It's what I use, so it should be fine. Thanks again for letting me know... given the circumstances, I would have never known of this problem.

cool thanks for replying back, yeah me and my gaming buddies use your plugin every Tuesday and wednesday for a star wars RP. We're a Dying breed TheCraiggers and your plugin is very useful for PnP gaming on teamspeak 3

Exclamation

Ok, first I love this plugin, it's very useful for me and the guys I play with, however it seems very unstable. I'm using the 32-bit version on windows 7 home x86, and it seems rolling multiple numbers of larger dice cause it to crash almost every time, 2d10, 4d6, 3d12, and so forth cause the client to crash almost every time. It seems to be ok so long as each die is rolled individually but when you type it in to roll them all at once it crashes more often than not. If you could figure out what the problem is that'd be wonderful, and we'd all be very grateful.

I have seen the plug-in in action very nice! Unfortunately for me on Win7 64 w/ TS364 for some reason the plug-in just doesn't load for me at all. I have checked and checked over and over to make sure I have the 64bit version of the plug-in but no "dice" (forgive the pun) any suggestions?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Fist View Post
    Ok, it seems rolling multiple numbers of larger dice cause it to crash almost every time, 2d10, 4d6, 3d12, and so forth cause the client to crash almost every time.
    You got it right there Razor fist Rolling multiple big dice crashes both 64 and 32 bit clients. Oh and The Craiggers Even though you made this on your spare time I look forward to a updated Version of a very useful plugin for us RPers.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Fist View Post
    Ok, first I love this plugin, it's very useful for me and the guys I play with, however it seems very unstable. I'm using the 32-bit version on windows 7 home x86, and it seems rolling multiple numbers of larger dice cause it to crash almost every time, 2d10, 4d6, 3d12, and so forth cause the client to crash almost every time. It seems to be ok so long as each die is rolled individually but when you type it in to roll them all at once it crashes more often than not. If you could figure out what the problem is that'd be wonderful, and we'd all be very grateful.
    Sure, I'd love to help, but I'll need some more info first.

Actually, first off, did you download the new version I posted a week or two ago? I'm guessing you read through the thread already and saw the problems I had, but it's just that it sounds like the same problem Ozzkuss had and I *thought* I fixed that issue. EDIT: Just in case, download the new 1.0.2 version above and make sure it says version 1.0.2 in the plugin selector properties inside TS3.

If so, can you start TS3 with the -console switch and tell me what you see in the output before it crashes? I don't know if you need help with this step, but right click the icon and change the Target string to look something like this-

"C:\Program Files\TeamSpeak 3 Client\ts3client_win64.exe" -console
    Last edited by TheCraiggers; May 18th, 2010 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizmarke View Post
    I have seen the plug-in in action very nice! Unfortunately for me on Win7 64 w/ TS364 for some reason the plug-in just doesn't load for me at all. I have checked and checked over and over to make sure I have the 64bit version of the plug-in but no "dice" (forgive the pun) any suggestions?
    Do you at least see the plugin listed in the plugin list of TS3? If so, do you see the various information come up on the plugin when you click on it like Author, Version, Description, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzkuss View Post
    You got it right there Razor fist Rolling multiple big dice crashes both 64 and 32 bit clients. Oh and The Craiggers Even though you made this on your spare time I look forward to a updated Version of a very useful plugin for us RPers.
    After reading this, I'm wondering if you're still having problems. I was thinking we had you working again with the last upload, but if not please let me know!

OK, fourth post in a row in my own thread. This makes me look like a tool, but whatever.

Posted a new version, updated the OP. It's technically a bug fix, but it wasn't a crashing-bug, so I don't think it will help you two that are experiencing problems.

However, I never updated the version number on the last release, and this one is sporting a shiny new 1.0.2 version number. Update your plugins anyway, if only to ensure you're running the DEBUG version.

Recompiled with DEBUG compiler flags since Teamspeak seems to prefer it that way.
    Could you give me some details about the problems with a release build? The plugins bundled with the TeamSpeak 3 Client installer are all built with release flags as well.

Apart from that, quote unique idea with this plugin. When designing the plugin system I had a lot of possibilities in mind, but certainly not this.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    Could you give me some details about the problems with a release build? The plugins bundled with the TeamSpeak 3 Client installer are all built with release flags as well.
    Well, the problem is that the plugin will semi-regularly crash TS3. Usually it seems to happen not on the first dice roll, but will happen eventually. Especially on the bigger die rolls. Sounds like a memory issue somewhere, but why only in Debug? The major problem for me is that without Debug flags, I don't get any console output to help me debug the problem.

However, I'm not sure it would matter- since it works fine with Debug using the exact same code, it reeks of a compiler issue somewhere. (I'm using Microsoft Visual C++ express 2008, by the way.) Sadly, I'm not good enough to be able to decipher the dumps that TS3 generates, or maybe it's an issue with incorrect software to look at it decently. I would like to eventually get to that level though.

If you're willing to help, I'd love to figure this problem out. If only for personal curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    Apart from that, quote unique idea with this plugin. When designing the plugin system I had a lot of possibilities in mind, but certainly not this.
    I will take that as a compliment of the highest order. ;-) In any case, thanks for the interest in my little plugin.

Ok, back to give you as much information as I have

First, I tried turning on the console thing but that didn't give me any information, seems the system crashes before the console logs the reason why.

Second, I downloaded the version 1.0 two days before I made my first post in this topic, I just today downloaded the newest version but the new version does not show up on my list of available plugins for some reason. I moved the old one to a different location and replaced it with the new file but it vanished from my plugin list.

Third, I don't know how you are testing the plugin, but I only have unstability when other people are connected, when I'm testing it on my own with no one else connected to the server it runs just fine, but as soon as someone else logs in the problems start.

Thread Information