Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Can't connect to my own server!

Pardon me in advance for beating a dead horse, but I've been up for many, many hours; read a crap load of messages that say alot but ultimately say nothing; and have pretty much given up on the chance to use Teamspeak 3.

I have watched the videos, read the advice, and followed all the steps as layed out. Here is my pertinate information, let me know what I'm out as I'm punchy and exhausted.

Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3
    Intel (R) Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
    2.39 GHz, 2.00 GB of Ram

Linksys router - WRT54GR
    Internet connection type - Automatic Configuration - DHCP

I follow the installlation video exactly several times and still got these errors
    Trying to connect to server on localhost:9987
    Failed to connect to server

I also tried using 127.0.0.1 for the address instead of local host. I have also checked the Windows/system32/drivers/etc file for the host list it was present with the required information.

I have port forward everythiing in my router as well.
    port range 9987 -9987 UDP
    30033 -30033 TCP
    10011 -10011 TCP

Windows firewall's are deactivated, but I added Teamspeak as an exception too.

My ISP is Comcast and I use their Nortan Antivirus Suite with a Arris cable modem. I also use Comcast voice for my phone serviece.

During my attemps to make the server work, I also completely deleted and redownload both the client and server programs; both which were 32 bit windows versions beta 20 and 22 respectively.

I have no problem connecting the Teamspeak public server. And only once was I able to create a server, but I turned it off and tried to reload it and went back to the same failure message as above.

I've also tried changing the router to a static IP address with DMZ.

I really hope someone can help me sort this out. I have enjoyed Teamspeak ever since version 2. Tell me how to correct this please.

Question, is your server running on the same computer your client is on? If so have you tried using your LAN IP since you say localhost and 127.0.0.1 don't work. Also, check your server log to verify you have the correct port.

Yes the client software and server software are both on the same desktop computer. I executed the client software and it created its' own directory in the Program files. I then extracted the server software zip file onto the desktop as if was shown in the official video tutorial from Teamspeak. I started the server program getting the the username, password, and token key information and saved as text file with notepad. I have since then retried the various combinations to access the address for connection.

<15:13:15> Trying to resolve hostname localhost
    <15:13:15> Trying to connect to server on localhost:9987
    <15:13:21> Failed to connect to server
    <15:13:55> Trying to connect to server on 127.0.0.1:9987
    <15:14:00> Failed to connect to server
    <15:15:07> Trying to connect to server on 192.168.1.100:9987
    <15:15:12> Failed to connect to server

I am assumming that 192.168.1.100 is the correct LAN IP address that you asked about; I checked using IPCONFIG /ALL and the interal router information. As for checking the server log, I'm not sure how to do that; please advise on how to do that please.

server logs are stored in the LOGS folder in your server directory. The first 20 lines or so will have all the important info.

I PM'd you my TS info. come join me and we'll try to sort this out

Ok folks with the amazing help provided by Poisonpanik, my Teamspeak 3 server issue have been solved!

As I've seen with scouring the forums and net for a solution, many of you have had the same problem as I was having. You've downloaded the software, you've read and or watch the installation videos a million times, and probably load, deleted and reloaded the programs a million more.

Port Forewarding..??!?! HA...you say; been there done that. You've checked so many times your router wants to know if you're its' proctologist. And still with everyting you try you still get:

Trying to resolve hostname localhost
    Trying to connect to server on localhost:9987
    Trying to connect to server on 127.0.0.1:9987
    Trying to connect to server on 192.168.1.100:9987

Well guess what, you've probably done everything correctly and are half way to Teamspeak 3 happiness and don't even know it!

When you first execute the Teamspeak server software you get the screen with your admin name, password and token key information. You save that data to your notepad as it tells you it is only printed out once. Make sure that your router is set up for the port forewarding:

port range 9987 -9987 UDP
    30033 -30033 TCP }
    10011 -10011 TCP } These are used for data transfers primarily

After you have ran and saved the ts3server_win32 (or 64) program, you need to either keep it open or you can close it and start it up again. This is the program that acts as your server! Everytime you want to start your server you have to run the ts3server_win32 (or 64) program and keep it open! Then you can active your Teamspeak client program and put in your localhost/ 127.0.0.1/192.168.x.x or whatever your IP adress my be for your computer.

When Poisonpanik showed me that I was like WOW..all those hours of sweat, tears and headache for some little BS thing like that!

Well I hope this solves the problems anyone else who has been having a hard time getting their Teamspeak 3 server up and running. I know it did for me; just stay with it the program is well worth the time and effort. It'll make you say Ventrilo what???

Good luck w/ the permissions!

Actually I started playing with them the other day with the file transfer settings. It's very detailed in what you can allow people to do and not do. Question though, is there a file size limit that exists or could you upload and down load the Library of Congress if you wanted?

If it's set to -1 you could upload/download the library of congress 10x's over....

Followed what you posted, and I still have the same errors. After ports were checked, the server left up and running, and firewalls down. I'm at a loss

Set in your router this ports:

9987 UDP
    30033 TCP
    10011 TCP

I already did all that, as the guy stated above. Went through everything.

PM me your server IP/port/password and I'll see if I can't connect to it.

Make sure that the router pointing to your LanIP, not localhost (127.0.0.1)
    Check the server log if an error has occurred
    The log is in the server directory, in the logs folder

I'm not sure on how to PM the server credentials, my experience with server hosting begins here, I've used the client a while now but now that I've moved outside my college I wish to start hosting my own. Here is a picture of the ports as well as the logs, I see warnings, but do not know the meaning behind them.

http://s492.photobucket.com/albums/r...rent=TSaid.jpg
    Last edited by FlyingSheep; August 25th, 2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to show the link XD

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingSheep View Post
    I'm not sure on how to PM the server credentials, my experience with server hosting begins here, I've used the client a while now but now that I've moved outside my college I wish to start hosting my own. Here is a picture of the ports as well as the logs, I see warnings, but do not know the meaning behind them.

PM = Private Message
    click on the poisonpanik name, and ...

Thread Information