Forum

Crash Course in the Permission System?

Hi,
    I'm looking for some help with permissions, a crash course in the Permission System would be wonderful along with some questions.
    Questions:
    1. What is Value?
    2. What is Skip?
    3. What is Negate?
    4. What is Grant?

Thanks.

Answers

1) Value is either an integer or a checkbox. i.e. you have a talk power of 75 where 75 can be any integer you'd like

2) Skip
    Since Server Groups are the first Tier of permission layers, it is possible that they will be overwritten by a higher tier permission.
    Since it is sometimes desirable to prevent Channel Groups (Tier 4) to overwrite permissions that you received through your Server Group
    there is the "Skip" flag. If a permission in either Server Group (Tier 1) or Client Specific Permissions (Tier 2) has the skip flag set,
    this permission will not be altered by any overlapping permission in the Channel Groups (Tier 4) layer.

Example: As the admin of your server you do not want the channel group to be able to restrict your permissions. By adding the skip flag to
    all of the permissions in the server admin group you make sure that no matter how these permissions are configured by any channel groups

3) Negate
    Sometimes you might want to create a Server Group that negatively affects the users that are put into it. For example a "Sticky"
    group that disallows switching of channels or a "Silent" group that removes the privileges to talk from the clients that receive
    it. To allow this the negate flag can be added to permissions in a server group. If you are member of a group that has a permission
    flagged with the negate flag, you will not receive the highest value of this permission, but rather the lowest that is flagged with
    negate.

Example:
    You created a Server Group called "Sticky". It contains only one permission: i_channel_join_power set to "-1", and a negate flag
    is applied to this permission. Now if I grant sticky group to any client they will not be able to switch channels anymore. This also
    works if the user I put into "Sticky" group has a positive i_channel_join_power set, since the negate flag will make sure the Tier 1
    result will be the lowest negated i_channel_join_power permission, so -1 or less than that. The reason why it is not possible to
    switch channels anymore is that normally a channel has no i_channel_needed_join_power set, and if a permission is not set it is
    assumed to be zero. Since -1 is smaller than zero, the user won't be able to join.
    4) Grant - If enabled allows a user to grant up to the integer in the grant column. i.e. You are an admin and have a grant power of 75 for talk power. You can grant others a talk power up to 75.

(Skip and Negate info pulled directly from the permissions document that comes with the server)

Thread Information