Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

[SUGGESTION] 1 week notice if an update is not backward compatible

To the Devs,
    Great job with a great product. My suggestion to you would be to give us (the community) a little more warning that an update is no backward compatible. I know (and read it) that you did warn us yesterday but many people are either blind or failed to read that warning. Maybe give 1 weeks notice about this if any future releases will not be backward compatible. This would (hopefully) help you prevent a lot of the questions people have been asking today.

Thanks again for a great product!

at first we wanted to do it with no notice (immediate upgrade). This was thrown overboard and I am sure the 1 day notice was a better choice . Let's hope we don't have any more protocol changes in the future so this won't happen anymore.

ROFL, no notice?! That would have been interesting. 1 day worked for me since I 1) read the forums A LOT and 2) read the big black warning you had posted.

Thanks again for all the hard work!

I agree with you poisonpanik. One week was the minimum!
    I am a ATHP Reseller.
    I wish to be notified by mail (To pay it is). I'm sorry but I do not watch the forum all day! And a community forum is not a way to prevent a big update. Not very professional!
    Thus, we can update in a disaster. Calming all our customers. A beautiful Wednesday!

@Ethaniel

A suggestion for you, subscribe to the forum ANNOUNCEMENTS and you'll get e-mails when this are updated or added. I doubt it would have made a difference in this instance but maybe in the future you'll get an e-mail and see the news quicker and have more time to react to it

Quote Originally Posted by Ethaniel View Post
    I agree with you poisonpanik. One week was the minimum!
    I am a ATHP Reseller.
    I wish to be notified by mail (To pay it is). I'm sorry but I do not watch the forum all day! And a community forum is not a way to prevent a big update. Not very professional!
    Thus, we can update in a disaster. Calming all our customers. A beautiful Wednesday!
    you got informed by mail.

one of our clanmembers auto-updated his ts3 today... and could not connect to our server anymore which was not updated yet...

so maybe this message should also popup in ts3 when the "update available" message appears...

When I tried to update my server yesterday, because ppl told be they're unable to connect with the new client, I found that the download servers were totally overloaded.

All I got was a HTTP 503.

after some time I was fed up and ended up writing this one:
    Code:
    ls -al asdasdasd # produce any error to set $?
    while [ $? != 0 ]; wget http://ftp.4players.de/pub/hosted/ts3/releases/beta-23/teamspeak3-server_win32-3.0.0-beta23.zip; done
    and it took nearly half an hour until the server managed to get me that file.

sorry, but even for free software such a dramatic change, that required server and client to be updated with only 1 day prior notice is in the best case bad planned, in the worst case just stupid.

You should at least have the server display a message a week before you push the client update, and allow the client to update itself automatically when it hits a server that already got the update.
    Also the client has to deplay the incompatibility warning, not just the website.

The better solution would be of course to have the client and server compatble at any time. If there is a change in the protocol, the old protocol should still be supported (with warnings) for a month or so. That way nobody would get into any trouble, and you could roll out the update without totally killing the download servers.

also it would be nice to know how much downloads there were yesterday evening, just to see if it is somehow possible to create a mirror or something.

strange yesterday morning at 9:30am, i've downloaded the server files perfectly, 7MB/s, done in 2 seconds.

Though yeah maybe it would be advised to also have the server files mirrored, instead of only the client files. Would result in at least one mirror staying available

Quote Originally Posted by R. Ludwig View Post
    you got informed by mail.
    yup, though didn't expect to see the release with 12 hours after the email

Anyway updates went fine, got your mail, and the announcements update mail only bad thing about it that I had to update TS3 on my day off, so I had to set an alarm, to be out of bed in time :P

Thread Information