Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Solved [Suggestion] Hotkey - Switch to channel in channel family

On our TS-server we have a lot of channel families with the same subchannel structure like this:

Mission 1
    --AWACS
    --Briefing/Debriefing Room
    --Flight 1
    --Flight 2
    --Flight 3
    --Flight 4
    --Flight 5
    --Flight 6
    --Flight 7
    --Flight 8
    --Flight 9
    Mission 2
    --AWACS
    --Flight 1
    --Flight 2
    --Flight 3
    --Flight 4
    --Flight 5
    --Flight 6
    ...and so on

In TS2 it was possible to have a hotkey e.g. to switch to the channel "Flight 5" of your current parent channel. This one hotkey worked not only in "Mission 1" but also in "Mission 2", "Mission 3" and so on.

In TS3 the "switch to channel" command remembers the whole channel path. This is often very useful but sometimes (as you may guess) not.
    It would be very cool and handy for us if you could implement such a kind of relative hotkey:
    "Switch to channel in channel family" or perhaps
    "Switch to channel in current parent channel".

What are the opinions of other communities and the TS-devs?

Wow, that's a hell of a channel family! I think this would be useful for those that do have setups similar to your setup where they have 2+ parent channels w/ the same sub-channels.

Yeah right, we have 6 parent channels with at least some flight channels in it for simulations like Falcon 4.0, IL-2 and Black Shark.

Great idea Dragonfly! I'd love to see it happen.

I wonder what the reason was/is for choosing absolute paths instead of relative ones. In TS2 functionality was often relative. So way change to absolute?

I can echo the need for something like that aswell. Here's our use case - on our Teamspeak 2 server we have channel setup like this:
    Code:
    BLUFOR
      Channel 0
      Channel 1
      Channel 2
      Channel 9

REDFOR
      Channel 0
      Channel 1
      Channel 2
      Channel 9
    We use hotkeys to switch to either of the two parent channels ("BLUFOR" and "REDFOR") and then use hotkeys to switch to the sub channels in either channel family. The same hotkey combo is used to switch to, say, channel 2 when you're in the BLUFOR family and when you want to go to "Channel 2" in the REDFOR channel.

I need it too!

Quote Originally Posted by Leech View Post
    I wonder what the reason was/is for choosing absolute paths instead of relative ones. In TS2 functionality was often relative. So way change to absolute?
    I don't know, perhaps because of the new channel tree structure which supports (theoretically) an infinite number of levels in depth.

iīd really like to appreciate dragonflyīs suggestion.
    there are many virtual fighter squadrons all over the world who spend a lot of their time in online gaming.
    the squadrons communication is mainly based on ts(2) servers.
    and all those squadrons are dependant on this little command dragonfly described.
    i canīt imagine an easier solution than it is implemented in ts2, but I donīt have any technical idea to create software like ts
    so i hope that you, ts devs, may implement this useful feature to the new ts 3 as it is implemented in ts 2.

greetings from germany, gustav.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonFly View Post
    On our TS-server we have a lot of channel families with the same subchannel structure like this:

Mission 1
    --AWACS
    --Flight 1
    --Flight 2
    --Flight 3
    --Flight 4
    --Flight 5
    --Flight 6
    --Flight 7
    --Flight 8
    --Flight 9
    Mission 2
    --AWACS
    --Flight 1
    --Flight 2
    --Flight 3
    --Flight 4
    --Flight 5
    --Flight 6
    ...and so on

In TS2 it was possible to have a hotkey e.g. to switch to the channel "Flight 5" of your current parent channel. This one hotkey worked not only in "Mission 1" but also in "Mission 2", "Mission 3" and so on.

In TS3 the "switch to channel" command remembers the whole channel path. This is often very useful but sometimes (as you may guess) not.
    It would be very cool and handy for us if you could implement such a kind of relative hotkey:
    "Switch to channel in channel family" or perhaps
    "Switch to channel in current parent channel".

What are the opinions of other communities and the TS-devs?

I agree. This is a must have for all Online Suqadrons!!!

Please add this feature!

Cheers

Dont bump!!!!

What do the devs think of a hotkey function like "switch to channel in channel family" or "switch to channel in current parent channel" ?

It would be very sad if such a feature would be lost from TS2 to TS3.
    Last edited by dante696; July 6th, 2010 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonFly View Post
    Bump:

What do the devs think of a hotkey function like "switch to channel in channel family" or "switch to channel in current parent channel" ?

It would be very sad if such a feature would be lost from TS2 to TS3.
    This was implemented already in TS3 alpha Switch to > Next / Previous Channel. Switch to channel familey did not exist in TS2.

Thanks for your statement and sorry for the bump.

I know the function "Switch to > Next / Previous Channel". But it is very inconvenient if you are in a game and have to switch e.g. from the "Briefing Room" to "Flight 7" by pressing the hotkey seven times.

And as I said, in TS2 it was possible to have one hotkey (e.g. to switch to "Flight 7") which worked in several parent channels because TS2 didn't remember the whole channel path.
    In TS3 it is perhaps a bit different because there are not only parent channels and level one subchannels but more subchannel levels in depth possible. Therefore I suggested a function like "switch to channel in current parent channel" or "switch to channel in channel family" as it would match the TS2 behaviour the best to my knowledge.

The difference in channels from TS2 to TS3 is, that one channel can exist somewhere else with the same name in it.

Code:
    Test2
    |-Test1
    |   |-Test2
    |      |-Test1
    |   |-Test1
    |-Test2
        |-Test1
           |-Test1
    I dislike this feature request and don't think it is needed to add such thing.
    Channel Family also means, that a channel with exact the same name can exist in the same family tree.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Ok, your example is logical and showed that the function "switch to channel in channel family" is a bad idea and cannot be implemented.

But a function "switch to channel in current (sub)channel level" should be possible, because all channels of the same level must have different names.

Btw.: I know about a dozen of online flight squadrons/communities who have a channel structure like the examples from Killswitch and me. They all used the hotkeys in TS2 the way I described. I think they will be very happy if they find a similar solution in TS3.

Thread Information