Forum

Howto install TeamSpeak 3 server on Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid)

Found this guide on the net for making teamspeak start from boot whit ubuntu source link here

First you need to create a user under which the TeamSpeak server should run by executing following command:

Code:
    adduser --disabled-login teamspeak
    Now we need to get the software

Code:
    wget http://ftp.4players.de/pub/hosted/ts3/releases/beta-23/teamspeak3-server_linux-amd64-3.0.0-beta23.tar.gz
    or for x86
    Code:
    wget http://ftp.4players.de/pub/hosted/ts3/releases/beta-23/teamspeak3-server_linux-x86-3.0.0-beta23.tar.gz
    We move it to a nice place with

Code:
    mv teamspeak3-server_linux-amd64 /opt/ts3
    or for x86
    Code:
    mv teamspeak3-server_linux-x86 /opt/ts3
    and give it to the user teamspeak

Code:
    chown -R teamspeak /opt/ts3
    If you take a look into the /opt/ts3 directory you’ll see that there is a already a start/stop script (ts3server_startscript.sh), we will utilize it. Create a init.d file with pasting the content after executing cat > /etc/init.d/teamspeak :

Code:
     cat > /etc/init.d/teamspeak 

#! /bin/sh
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides:          teamspeak
    # Required-Start:    networking
    # Required-Stop:
    # Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
    # Default-Stop:      S 0 1 6
    # Short-Description: TeamSpeak Server Daemon
    # Description:       Starts/Stops/Restarts the TeamSpeak Server Daemon
    ### END INIT INFO

set -e

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
    DESC="TeamSpeak Server"
    NAME=teamspeak
    USER=teamspeak
    DIR=/opt/ts3
    DAEMON=$DIR/ts3server_startscript.sh
    #PIDFILE=/var/run/$NAME.pid
    SCRIPTNAME=/etc/init.d/$NAME

# Gracefully exit if the package has been removed.
    test -x $DAEMON || exit 0

cd $DIR
    sudo -u teamspeak ./ts3server_startscript.sh $1
    Now press ENTER and CTRL-D and you’ve inserted the content into the file. Set the permission correctly with

Code:
    chmod 755 /etc/init.d/teamspeak
    and now you can try it out by calling

Code:
    /etc/init.d/teamspeak start
    Take note of the login and token as you will need them later. You can also look for them in the log files in /opt/ts3/logs/. The last thing you need to do now is to make sure the init script is executed at boot time by using following command:

Code:
    update-rc.d teamspeak defaults
    At last if you’ve a firewall running on your system you need to make sure that you open all your ports. To find out which ports are used by teamspeak use following command:

Code:
    # netstat -lnp | grep ts3
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:10011           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      30232/ts3server_lin
    tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:30033           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      30232/ts3server_lin
    udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:9987            0.0.0.0:*                           30232/ts3server_lin
    I hope this howto helped someone and write a comment if you found an error or a better way to do something. Now you just need to point your TeamSpeak client to the server and go to the menu entry “permissions | use token” and copy and past the token from above into the edit box. (only insert the chars behind “token=”)

Hi,

I followed your direction, but the script will not kick off at boot. I am able to start it manually - /etc/init.d/teamspeak

I took off the -u at the last line because it would give me an error:
    Code:
    sudo: no passwd entry for ./ts3server_minimal_runscript.sh!
    chkconfig --list
    Code:
    teamspeak       0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:on
    Running Centos 5.4 x32, any suggestion is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdajai View Post
    Hi,
    I took off the -u at the last line because it would give me an error:
    Code:
    sudo: no passwd entry for ./ts3server_minimal_runscript.sh!
    You need the "-u" flag to define the user sudo will run the script as. That error is indicating that it's trying to run as user "./ts3server_minimal_runscript.sh".

Did you properly create the "teamspeak" user with the "adduser" line? It may be "useradd", I don't know CentOS. You just need to make sure you create a user that isn't allowed to log in interactively.

Hi,

thanks for your post.

I was wondering if anyone has already done an upstart script for TS3, since Lucid is so thoroughly based on it? (I cant seem to get mine to work properly)

Yes I got it to work.. I think

[email protected]:~# /etc/init.d/ts3srv start
    Starting the TeamSpeak 3 server
    TeamSpeak 3 server started, for details please view the log file
    [email protected]:~# update-rc.d ts3srv defaults
    update-rc.d: warning: ts3srv stop runlevel arguments (0 1 6) do not match LSB Default-Stop values (S 0 1 6)
    Adding system startup for /etc/init.d/ts3srv ...
    /etc/rc0.d/K20ts3srv -> ../init.d/ts3srv
    /etc/rc1.d/K20ts3srv -> ../init.d/ts3srv
    /etc/rc6.d/K20ts3srv -> ../init.d/ts3srv
    /etc/rc2.d/S20ts3srv -> ../init.d/ts3srv
    /etc/rc3.d/S20ts3srv -> ../init.d/ts3srv
    /etc/rc4.d/S20ts3srv -> ../init.d/ts3srv
    /etc/rc5.d/S20ts3srv -> ../init.d/ts3srv
    Question. Where is the log file kept for this?

Hey, thanks for the step-by-step!

I followed most of it, except for a critical spot here:

Code:
    If you take a look into the /opt/ts3 directory you’ll see that there is a already a start/stop script (ts3server_startscript.sh), we will utilize it. Create a init.d file with pasting the content after executing cat > /etc/init.d/teamspeak :
    Could someone please break that down to short-words-for-the-moron speak for me? I'm not exactly sure what I need to do here, or how.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks mate, very helpful

I am still having precisely zero luck with this. Can anyone help?

For one, I'm still not getting this part:
    Code:
    I found the original site this came from in hopes of clearing it up, but it really seems like the original poster might have been using horrible grammar or something. Best I could guess was that they actually meant, "Create an init.d file by pasting the the following content into it then execute cat > /etc/...

But that didn't work/do anything.

Also, I don't understand why the instructions keep calling /etc/init.d, when we haven't put anything there. Near as I can tell, everything is in /opt/.

Furthermore, what's the deal with the Teamspeak user? Why is that created and given all of the permissions? It's not like I had to create another user when I ran this on windows, so is there some reason Ubuntu needs it? Am I supposed to be logged in as Teamspeak rather than my normal login? If so, why? Why can't I just use my normal one?

So, as you can see, I have some rather big issues with this, and any help would be appreciated. I've been trying to get this to work, off-and-on since October now. I've been looking all over the place, and can't seem to find any instructions that are much different than these ones, and it is getting very frustrating. Setup on Windows took me 10 minutes, including port forwarding and testing, but my Linux box is the one I really want to run the server from.

Thanks in advance.

you don't need to follow all those steps just to get your server running
    all you need to do is

get the last version of ts_server using wget

than you need to decompress the file, "which is missing on this page"
    Code:
    tar -zxvf teamspeak3-server_linux-x86-3.0.0-betaXX.tar.gz
    where XX will be the number of the version you have downloaded

after this point all you need to do is

Code:
    cd teamspeak3-server_linux-x86
    ./ts3server_startscript.sh start
    and your server will be running.

for security reasons you can create a new user and set it for no login access, so you can make sure no one will touch your files, and than create the startup script

in my case im running the server for about a year now w/o using any scripts and its ok.

Start at Boot don't work

hello,
    I got this Error, if I add Teamspeak-Script with update-rc.d teamspeak defaults

Code:
    2011-01-23 13:31:50.764544|INFO    |ServerLibPriv |   | Server Version: 3.0.0-beta30 [Build: 12998], Linux
    2011-01-23 13:31:50.998884|INFO    |DatabaseQuery |   | dbPlugin name:    MySQL plugin, (c)TeamSpeak Systems GmbH
    2011-01-23 13:31:50.998960|INFO    |DatabaseQuery |   | dbPlugin version: 1
    2011-01-23 13:31:51.033256|ERROR   |DatabaseQuery |   | mysql_real_connect() failed with error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
    If i use '/etc/init.d/teamspeak start' it works.

I think that TS3 is starting befor mysqld is starting, but why and how I can fix it??

edit: I have to change the start script S20teamspeak to S21teamspeak, because the mysql is starting with S20mysql too.
    Last edited by wh.for; January 23rd, 2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: solved

yea so i havent gotten it to work im soo confused haha i was using putty to do it and i got up to testing to start the server and it froze so i re did it and it did nuthing and well i tryed the update and the update gave me an error... so not sure what happend but i checked the files and the server admin username and password were created but it didnt tell me the server started when i tryed it again and it didnt tell me if it stopped i check the processes and didnt see anything any help?

Code:
    [email protected]:~# update-rc.d teamspeak default
    update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/teamspeak missing LSB information
    update-rc.d: see <http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts>
    usage: update-rc.d [-n] [-f] <basename> remove
           update-rc.d [-n] <basename> defaults [NN | SS KK]
           update-rc.d [-n] <basename> start|stop NN runlvl [runlvl] [...] .
           update-rc.d [-n] <basename> disable|enable [S|2|3|4|5]
                    -n: not really
                    -f: force
    i also wasnt sure how to config the firewall lol i dont even remember if i have 1 im just running a simple copy of ubuntu server

Thread Information