Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Hybrid View

Question More questions on inheritance

I've read around and see that, as many people have touched on, subchannels do not inherit permissions from their parent channels. Apparently that is on the todo list.

My primary question is, are custom server groups supposed to inherit permissions from the Guest server group? At present it seems they do not, and it also seems that even unset permissions in additional server groups override guest group permissions. Is this correct?

So I'm guessing if I want to create a custom admin group, I will have to clone the guest group and then edit accordingly. I don't know if this is on the todo list or not, but what are the future plans for group permissions inheritance and override functionality?

The way I see it, since EVERYBODY is in the guest group, and you apparently cannot remove them from the guest group, then I would think the only logical option would be to have additional groups first inherit permissions from the guest group, and then override them ONLY if said additional group has an overlapping permission set, and NOT override the guest group if it remains unset. Does that sound right?

Also, I haven't tested it yet, but what happens if you have a user in two custom server groups, and then set different values for overlapping permissions? How does TS3 know which value supersedes the other?

Thanks in advance for any input.

P.S. Also are there plans for implementing the following? If not I suggest:
    A) permission group cloning
    B) permission group nesting (child/parent inheritance relationships)
    C) more detailed permission descriptions
    D) display/filtering of what type of entity each permission actually applies to (e.g. I don't see why a client would need the "needed channel join power" permission, because a client can't join a client)

Edit: I see that I misunderstood the guest group. I just saw the message in the permission dialog that says "Clients which are not in any other group are automatically inside [the Guest] group." So yeah, I guess that means that you have to clone the settings from the Guest group in any custom group you make. Although actually that gives me an idea. Perhaps I can make an exact clone of the Guest group, call it "Non-guests", and add everyone I mean to make an admin to that group AND the admin group, and then not have to clone the rest of the permissions in the actual admin group.

Update: That seemed to work, making a non-guest group clone that already contains all the base permissions cloned from the guest group. So now when I make new admin groups, all I have to worry about is setting the necessary power permissions, and I just add a client to both the non-guests group, and the appropriate admin group.
    Last edited by Roachy; June 29th, 2010 at 06:26 AM.

The GUEST group is a temporary group. If a client is added to a permanent group they no longer belong to the GUEST group. When you create a new group you get a pop-up window that asks for name and type of group. No matter how you create a new group you will need to adjust the permissions to your liking.

As for your other questions:

1)Copying permission groups is on the TO-DO list.
    2)Not sure what exactly you are saying here
    3)The Devs have said that when TS3 has it's final release there will be updated documentation. It's in BETA right now...
    4)join_power applies to clients. If you set a needed_join_power on a channel and then set a join_power on a client that is equal or higher that client can now join that channel.

As for your EDIT, just go into the GUEST group and set the permission b_group_is_permanent. A client will not be removed from this group even if you add them to a new group. You will have to manually remove them.

Aha, I see. So I didn't have to make that non-guest group after all. Thanks for the infos.

Edit: Hmm, I'm not sure your permanent trick worked. I set the guest group to be permanent, and it turned blue in the permissions dialog, but when I added a client to a custom server group, it still removed him from the guest group, along with all his guest group permissions.

You will only be in the guest server group when you are in no other groups, so yes you need at least one group with some "default" permission settings that you give users that aren't guests anymore. The Normal group in the default permission setup should fit this use case quite well.

I see. Well I've already got my non-guest group set up so I'll use that. I don't really need all the frills that TS3 provides (complaints, temporary channels, etc) So the bare-bones default guest privs are fine for all my users, with the small addition of kick/ban/move for admins.

P.S. what I meant by "B) permission group nesting (child/parent inheritance relationships)", is basically they way usergroups work in Active Directory, where groups can be members of other groups, and child groups inherit permissions from their parents. I'm guessing this is pretty far off the todo radar. Oh well.

It is unnecessary: Your effective right is (if not set up otherwise) always the highest value from all your groups. So if you want to have an admin and a "subgroup" more powerful admin, you can put the more powerful admin simply in both groups. it shouldn't be too much work.

Thread Information