Forum

Running a TS3 server behind a router cascade

I have a pair of WRT54G Linksys routers that's I've hooked up together to run a pair of server machines by wire in a separate room on their own router. I've got a number of server applications running (and working fine) on those machines, but TS3 is giving me issues.

Specifically, only some people can connect, others get "Failed to connect to server" messages on every attempt. IP and ports are good, because I'm running other server apps on both machines and both are working fine besides my TS3 issues.

One machine is running XP and the other is running Vista-32bit. Like I said, only about half of the people who usually get on my server can connect, the others can't.

Hopefully someone else out there runs their TS3 server behind a pair of routers and can help out!

If some can connect then I doubt it's your routers... Are the 100% positive they are using the correct IP/Port?

Quote Originally Posted by PhalkonZ View Post
    I have a pair of WRT54G Linksys routers that's I've hooked up together to run a pair of server machines by wire in a separate room on their own router. I've got a number of server applications running (and working fine) on those machines, but TS3 is giving me issues.
    Fix your network. I'm highly doubt you want these in "cascade".

How are the routers setup? LAN to LAN or LAN to WAN?

The routers are setup LAN to LAN so that the main router does all the IP assignment and DHCP is disabled on the "slave" router. I've attempted to set them up LAN to WAN, but I do not think my routers work well with that setup, but it's entirely possible that I did the LAN to WAN wrong. I'm actually posting this on one of the machines behind the "slave" router, and all of my other traffic works fine through both routers. My only issue is with teamspeak3 and only certain people being able to connect. To test it, I reconnected the machine that runs the server directly to the main router and it works fine and everyone can connect. As soon as I try connecting it through the "slave" router, however, only about half can connect. Of course, I can't go to everyone's house and check their ip/port info, but since they can connect when I take the "slave" router out, I'd say the info on their clients is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by ANR Daemon View Post
    Fix your network. I'm highly doubt you want these in "cascade".
    Btw, thanks for the "help". 'Cascade' is the word used on the Linksys website. Are you suggesting that the company that designed and produced the router does not follow proper nomenclature for internet devices?

To everyone that's taken a look and actually tried to help with my issue: I do appreciate your time, even if you don't post.
    Last edited by PhalkonZ; July 4th, 2010 at 04:30 AM.

Is there any reason why the server computer cannot be plugged into router #1? All you're doing is using router #2 as a switch/wireless access point.

Quote Originally Posted by PhalkonZ View Post
    Btw, thanks for the "help". 'Cascade' is the word used on the Linksys website. Are you suggesting that the company that designed and produced the router does not follow proper nomenclature for internet devices?

To everyone that's taken a look and actually tried to help with my issue: I do appreciate your time, even if you don't post.
    It is common when company in marketing purposes tossing the meaning of the words.
    Cascade is when your routers connected LAN->WAN
    In your case, you're just using second router as hub/switch, it does not do anything special on the networking environment.

Thread Information