Forum

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    You should read up on RegExp if you are unfamiliar with them prior to using them. You can easily create havoc with RegExp Bans.

Thanks for your help mate.

I'm away at present, so cannot check, but reading the tips and guides, im unable to find anything about banning nicknames which include brackets. For example.

I want to stop people from joining our server with a tag and name as follows. ( the below is how it is shown in ts3 as their name, this isnt the code expresssion).

[TEAM] Dave

So if I wanted to stop anyone from joining with "[TEAM] in their nickname.. how would this work?

I would want to allow people though with a tag for example of :

[MEAT] Steve

See what I mean?

I dont expect you to help, im just saying what im looking for.

As I mentioned above you should read up on Regular Expressions, this combined with a little thinking would answer your Question.

Anyways: ^\[[Tt7][eE3€][a4A][mM]\].*
    however depending on your needs it might be easier to just disallow Tags in the name altogether and use ServerGroups to create the Tags.

If you read my last sentence, i did say that I was looking. . . .

Anyway, I'll crack on. I cannot test it, but I can now see the logic behind it.

Does seem a bit fiddly though.

Increasingly so the more complex your needs get
    Regular Expressions are not the easiest thing.

Maybe, maybe not. I mean, you dont have to go to this sort of length to stop usernames on a forum or better still a word sensor filter, they are much easier. ( But I guess there must be a reason it has to be this way ).

I've done one server, but now need to do it all again for a second virtual server. I'm now having to look to see if there is an export/import ban list method.

Happy days.

Floyd.

----merged----

Thanks for steering us in the right direction though. Cheers.

How to ban the use of a name

First of all do I use ServerQuery to ban certain names? I have no idea how. I searched the forums but it wasn't very helpful because I never found out where to use these "commands" I saw. I assumed ServerQuery but it gives me errors when I try.

I want to ban the use of the name "Travis" in my server since it's my name. Can the admin bypass the name ban?

I hope someone can help me, thanks in advance.

I wonder,
    1. Why such tool as ban list is case-sensitive, in first place.
    2. Why don't you use caseless (?i) RE?

As was mentioned on the first page, since the ability to restrict names to a unique ID is on the todo list, I would love to actually see the developers get todoing this. I have experienced this issue on my server where people try to impersonate someone who has admin power's name and try to get admin. I may not fall for it but not everyone else is so thorough. Yes I can add a name to the ban list but then I have to go handing out ban immunity to everyone who I don't want someone using their name. Then you run into the issue where people who have protected names can fake anyone's name since they are immune to banning. I really wish this would get implemented. It would so simply the whole process and prevent identity crises.

In short, it would make server's safer because someone cannot hop in using a known name. Phishing is not only done via email... Nor social engineering. I have had a couple of very convincing ones who did their homework.

You can add people you are interested in to the contact list.
    Which is more powerful, and have more applications, than ban list.
    Then any impersonator would be a white crow. Literally.

Can i "block" names from use?

Hi guys,

i was just wondering if there is a possibility on a TS3 server to lock certain names. Like names from admins/similar names?

Would love to know that since we have a 400+ ppl TS during primetime and we just had a case of someone trying to use one of the admins name to get rights.
    Last edited by dante696; May 2nd, 2014 at 10:10 PM. Reason: merged

You can't solve social issues with technical means.
    In general, any your attempt to enforce social rules with artificial restrictions will only create more social issues, while not solving anything at all.
    If you have server administrators that stupid to fall into scam and blackmail, make your position on this topic very clear. If people still fail to realize, that they are idiots, review your roster and kick those who can't be trusted.

Now, while we are on the same page, yes, you can blacklist certain nicknames using server tools.
    Last edited by ANR Daemon; May 3rd, 2014 at 02:03 AM.

well i dont think that any of our guys is stupid enough to give rights to someone that does not deserve them

but it just happened that we had a try from someone doing it and i was like "wait wasnt there a way to just prevent this from even happening".

"- sign"

Hi there, Is there a way to prevent users from using this sign " - " on their name?

like this one http://prntscr.com/4ptlgd
    Last edited by dante696; September 24th, 2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: merged

Thread Information