Forum

[Suggustion] ServerQuery Restriction

Currently the host I'm using is restricting server query since it's instance wide access (one user can access another instance).
    Would it be possible to restrict server query to one instance?

I'll try to make a diagram explaining what I'm trying to say.

- SERVER -
    - Instance 1
    - Instance 2
    - Instance 3
    - Instance 4

Instance 1 can NOT access 2,3, or 4 unless allowed (by permission?)

If that's not possible, could someone point me in the direction of a good host with server query?

I've also tried searching for a similar suggestion, but couldn't find any.

Quote Originally Posted by florian_fr40 View Post
    Hello

You have the "query_ip_whitelist" and query_ip_blacklist" for that.
    You can also the permission of "Guest server group".
    That's not what he was asking, and as to the original poster, here's a solution for you:

Set up serverquery permission as a servergroup, and limit the guest's permission on serverquery, then since the user have to register their group with serverquery, that'd limit on the permission that perticular person can have.

(I'll draw a diagram when I'm home to better illustrate this)

FAQ:
    Instance = A single Process of ts3server executeable which can host a theoretically unlimited number of Virtual Servers. (But as with TS2 there might be a recommendation as to how many Servers an Instance should host at most)
    Virtual Server = A Single Teamspeak Server within an Instance. The number of these is only limited by your license (ie. how many Servers your license allows for)

I doubt it has much to do with that you can control other virtual Servers in an instance since that is only true for the serveradmin User which is in the Admin Server Query Group. (Which of course noone sane would give out to anyone - certainly no hoster).

Since you can create your own ServerQuery Login (Using TS3 CLient -> Tools -> ServerQuery Login) which only has the same permissions as you do on only that single TeamSpeak Server only there should be no problem allowing it. If Guest Server Query has restrictive Permissions set (like just i_group_needed_modify_power = 100, i_client_needed_modify_power = 100, i_group_auto_update_type = 0 and b_serverquery_login (you could even add b_serverinstance_version_view and b_serverinstance_help_view) nobody can do anything with any server unless they login in which case they would only have permissions on their own server...

In case that option is disabled for you, you should contact your ServerAdmin to grant yourself the b_client_create_modify_serverquery_login and b_serverquery_login Permissions. In case you are a ServerAdmin on your Server and still can't use the mentioned Menuitem you should contact your Hoster and kindly ask to grant the ServerAdmins the above mentioned Permissions. The first one allows (or disallows) the creation of your own QueryLogin and the second Permission is required to be actually able to use the ServerQuery.

This would enable you to create TS Viewers (for only your TS3 Server of course) provided you have sufficient permissions to query the stuff required for TS Viewers (ChannelList, ChannelInfo, ClientList, ClientInfo, ServerInfo just to name the most important ones) and your TS Viewer is coded correctly. You would even be able to automatically create stuff, change serversettings, kick/ban/move Clients, etc. (if you can do it manually using the Client of course)

So there is no problem at all and no point in changing anything for this.

Feel free to point out if im wrong.
    Last edited by SilentStorm; July 7th, 2010 at 01:53 PM.

Oops. I meant virtual servers.

The host I'm using is hosting one instance, and multiple virtual servers (for other customers.) They're denying server query since each virtual server can access all the others. My suggestion, make a permission, or restrict server query to each virtual server.

Yeah I figured that you meant VServers

Anyway either you didnt read my Post carefully (or at all) or you didn't get what I was saying...

Quote Originally Posted by SilentStorm View Post
    If Guest Server Query has restrictive Permissions set (like ...) nobody can do anything with any server unless they login in which case they would only have permissions on their own server...
    Anyway to extend my Post and add the (obviously required) missing paragraph:

tl;dr

There is no need to change anything since its already possible!

As Storm said, ServerQuery Logins are bound to the selected Server, unless you are in a QueryGroup (which probably no hoster, not even a free one will give to customers...).

Quote Originally Posted by SilentStorm View Post
    Yeah I figured that you meant VServers

Anyway either you didnt read my Post carefully (or at all) or you didn't get what I was saying...

Anyway to extend my Post and add the (obviously required) missing paragraph:

tl;dr

There is no need to change anything since its already possible!

I get what you're saying. Must have missed that part. not sure why they told me I can access other virtual servers. I'll make another request to them.

Thanks for your help

Thread Information