Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Lock file conflict on shared hosting

I recently moved my teamspeak server from a home system to a shared webhost platform.

When attempting to launch the server it gives the following errors (cleaned up a little for readability):

Code:
    [...]| Server Version: 3.0.0-beta23 [Build: 11239], Linux
    [...]
    [...]| Unable to find valid license key, falling back to limited functionality
    [...]| local accounting reports an already running instance, instance will shutdown
    [...]| Server() error while starting servermanager, error: instance limit reached
    I am not running two copies of the server but after poking around the host, I found out that another ts3server_linux_x86 process was running (owned by a different user and bound to a different IP).

As best I can figure, the server places a lock file in /tmp on the host to prevent multiple copies from accidentally being spawned.

I have two questions:

(1) Is there a way to tell TeamSpeak where to put the lock file (like ~/tmp instead of /tmp)?

(2) Would registering a non-profit license avoid this whole problem entirely?

Any input appreciated,

- Dark

Quote Originally Posted by darktyph View Post

Code:
    [...]| server version: 3.0.0-beta23 [build: 11239], linux
    [...]
    [...]| unable to find valid license key, falling back to limited functionality
    [...]| local accounting reports an already running instance, instance will shutdown
    [...]| server() error while starting servermanager, error: Instance limit reached
    update your server quickly
    The reason here :
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthread.php?t=55655

After the transfer, they you may need to wait nearly two hours, the time that the license server to update.

Woah, ok... completely clean new instance of the server in place.

The previous one was not running since I couldn't get it to load but thanks for the heads up.

Attempting to start the server still yields the same result though (except for version). Not sure what you mean about the license server, I don't currently have any licenses, I'm just using the unregistered mode right now.

Code:
    2010-07-29 08:44:15.243257|INFO    |ServerLibPriv |   | Server Version: 3.0.0-beta25 [Build: 11421], Linux
    2010-07-29 08:44:15.243526|INFO    |DatabaseQuery |   | dbPlugin name:    SQLite3 plugin, Version 2, (c)TeamSpeak Systems GmbH
    2010-07-29 08:44:15.243559|INFO    |DatabaseQuery |   | dbPlugin version: 3.6.21
    2010-07-29 08:44:15.243862|INFO    |DatabaseQuery |   | checking database integrity (may take a while)
    2010-07-29 08:44:15.273760|INFO    |SQL           |   | db_CreateTables() tables created
    2010-07-29 08:44:24.931986|WARNING |Accounting    |   | Unable to find valid license key, falling back to limited functionality
    2010-07-29 08:44:25.444406|ERROR   |Accounting    |   | local accounting reports an already running instance, instance will shutdown
    2010-07-29 08:44:25.444986|ERROR   |ServerLibPriv |   | Server() error while starting servermanager, error: instance limit reached
    Thanks

- Dark

it is not possible to start more than one teamspeak3-server on a machine, without using a license. If there is a Server on the same host, also without a license, then you have the problem, you described.

Applying for a NPL-License will solve your problem. After that, there is no more need for the local accounting-file, so the other server won't be a problem anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Master_D View Post
    Applying for a NPL-License will solve your problem. After that, there is no more need for the local accounting-file, so the other server won't be a problem anymore.
    Have applied for my NPO license. Will post back once I have installed it and verified the setup is working properly.

Thanks!

- Dark

[Solved] Lock file conflict on shared hosting

Got my NPO license and attempted to start my server up.

It failed to bind, not on the voice_ip (which I had specified) but on the file manager and query ports. Turns out another user on the box had bound their voice_ip but didn't bother to bind the file manager or query ports and subsequently they defaulted to 0.0.0.0:10011 and 0.0.0.0:30033 respectively.

I mentioned this to the hosting company and they said they'd look in it since that effectively blocks the use of those ports as a shared resource. In the mean time I shifted my own ports for those listeners to other unused ones.

In summary (for anyone else that is running on a shared host):

For a TS3 sever deployed on a shared host, make sure you get an NPO license (or whatever is appropriate) and make sure you bind all three services to your IP and not let them default.

On my box I achieved this with the following addition to my ts3server_startscript file:

Code:
    BIP="XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX"
    COMMANDLINE_PARAMETERS="voice_ip=$BIP default_voice_port=9987"
    COMMANDLINE_PARAMETERS="$COMMANDLINE_PARAMETERS filetransfer_ip=$BIP query_ip=$BIP filetransfer_port=30033 query_port=10011"
    The firewall rules were:
    INCOMING 9987/udp
    INCOMING 10011/tcp (this should match whatever is specified for query_port )
    INCOMING 30033/tcp (this should match whatever is specified for filetransfer_port )
    OUTGOING 2008/both (not sure I needed both)

I know much of this already exists elsewhere on the forums but these are all the steps I needed to get up and running on my shared system. Hope this is useful to future users...

- Dark

Thread Information