Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[Help] VALUE - SKIP - NEGATE - GRANT

Hello Everyone,

This problem has been bugging me for about three days now. I can't seem to find a proper definition or example anywhere. I have read over the few TS3 Documents that bring up these options, yet the descriptions are lacking in information and application.

From my understanding: (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

VALUE:
    Boolean Return Value = (☑=1=True or ☐=0=False)
    Integer Return Value = [1,2,3...] or [0=False] or [-1,-2,-3,...]
    (-1 can be infinite in some cases)

SKIP:
    The "Skip" parameter can be set within the "Server Groups" and "Client Permissions" category only. When selected, the "Client Permissions" or "Server Groups" permissions cannot be modified by the "Channel Groups" and "Channel" permissions.

NEGATE:
    The "Negate" parameter can be set within the Server Groups category only. When selected, the Server Group permission will check the same permission in other permission categories ("Channel Groups", "Client Permissions" etc.) for the least greatest return value. (FALSE=0 or n<=x). This means that no single permission category has overwrite power stronger than the other categories, instead the category with the least return value will be selected as the dominant permission.

GRANT: (I KNOW NOTHING OF THIS PARAMETER)
    From what I understand, the "GRANT" value is a conditional value that will give certain clients the ability to modify a given permission. I have no idea how this works or how to apply it, so this is my primary reason for posting.

Please correct anything you see here, I want to be able to edit this post with all the correct information to help others. Thank You!
    Last edited by dante696; March 21st, 2017 at 09:35 AM. Reason: corrected some false information

Hello,

To make simple :

- Permissions are for the possibility on the server

- Grant is for the possibility to change the permissions in server or channel group.

What you don't understand in the permission.txt documentation ?

So can you give me an example as to how to use grant. Say I had something like:

Permission Title - [Value][Skip][Negate][Grant]

"i_group_member_add_power - [45] [] [] [60]"

What does the grant of "60" do in this situation? What does it indicate?

A grant power of 60 would allow you (or a server group) to grant this permission up to a value of 60.

To answer the ski/negate question

http://forum.teamspeak.com/showpost....76&postcount=4

Ok,

As you understand, in this group, the members have a power to add an other member (power = 45).

And now, to change the value of this permission you must be have a power equal or better than 60 (this is the grant permission)

At this moment, to change the permission of this group, your members must be have i_group_modify_power equal or better than 60.

Imagine, this is the server admin group.
    You have 3 server admin users in this group. You want that can change the permissions of this group except modify power.

You set the permissions like this :
    "i_group_modify_power [45] [] [] [60]"
    "i_group_needed_modify_power [45] [] [] [60]"

And you set only for you i_group_modify_power [60] [] []

At this moment, your members can modify the permissions of this group except this 2 previsous permissions. Only you can change this.

To conclude :
    Value - SKIP - Nagate are used to manage permissions on a server.
    Grant is used for the permission to change the permission (value-skip-negate) in the group (to manage the permission system).

Quote Originally Posted by poisonpanik View Post
    A grant power of 60 would allow you (or a server group) to grant this permission up to a value of 60.

Thanks for the quick response!

Alright that makes sense, so how does a group or a client actually change the permission? So you can think of "Grant" as a maximum value limit that clients with permission edit capabilities cant surpass?

Thanks for the help and information, I will try implementing your examples and see how it goes. It's starting to make sense now!

Can somebody explain me plz the need of existance of the "Grant" value plz?

Value Skip Negate Granted
    If i have: Permission Modify Power 20 75

Then i would be able to modify permissions that have a Needed Permission Modify Power of 20 or less.
    Ok so far.

But why would i set the Granted Value to 75?
    This would mean that someone would be able, THO the low Permission Modify Power of 20, to change THIS permissions settings and set the Permission Modify Power to 75 and become kinda admin.
    I somehow dont see the need for this granted Option.
    On one hand, only users with Permission Modify Power of 20 or higher can modify powers With a Needed Permission Modify Power of 20 or less BUT theyre able to change this permission that keeps em low and give themselfes more power than needed.

This granted is somehow obsolete and makes the permission syste in my eyes more complicated than neccessary

Hello

Example :

Your are an hoster and you rent a Teamspeak 3 server.

You give your customers the privilege key to admin their server. So they are server admin with a power of 75. Of course they can change the permission of their server group.

Welcome message
    Group by default
    etc

But he should not have permission to change the number of slot server.
    So you delete this permission of their server admin group and you set a grant permission to 100, for they can't take this permission.

Alright, that sounds valid
    But when somebody, like in my example, has the Permissin Modify Power 75 (like admin) and he has granted 75, what would he be able to do?
    He can still modify Permissions up to needed 75 AND he is not able to set a higher value for himself than 75?

To be clear, the grant permission is mainly for ATHP or AAL Hoster.
    Read the faq :

http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=faq&c...ecommendations

To set a higher power at 75, you must be Admin Query.

Read the documentation :

TeamSpeak 3 Permissions Guide.txt

Hey,

the grant value has nothing to do with how high you can set a permission, to quote the relevant section of the docs:

Adding, Removing and Editing Permissions
    ----------------------------------------
    All of the following questions need to be answered with "Yes" when adding, removing or editing a permission on any layer:
    (1) Does the editing client have a Grant-Power for the concerened permission with a value that is not zero?
    (2) Is the editing clients i_permission_modify_power greater or equal to the Grant-Power for the concerned permission
    of the editing client?
    (3) When editing i_group_modify_power, is the new value smaller or equal to the i_group_modify_power of the
    editing client?
    (4) When editing i_permission_modify_power, is the new value smaller or equal to the i_permission_modify_power
    of the editing client?
    (5) When editing a i_needed_modify_power_* permission (also called Grant-Permission), is the new value smaller or equal to
    the editing clients Grant-Power of the permission in question?

Depending on where this permission is edited one of the following checks is made:
    Editing Permissions in a Server Group (Tier 1):
    - Is the editing clients i_group_modify_power greater or equal to the i_group_needed_modify_power of
    the group being edited?
    Editing Client Permissions (Tier 2):
    - Is the editing clients i_client_modify_power greater or equal to the edited clients i_client_needed_modify_power
    Editing Channel Permissions (Tier 3):
    - Is the editing clients i_group_modify_power greater or equal to the i_group_needed_modify/_power that is
    configured on the channel
    Editing Permissions in a Channel Group (Tier 4):
    - Is the editing clients i_group_modify_power greater or equal to the i_group_needed_modify_power of
    the group being edited?
    Editing Channel and Client Specific Permissions (Tier 5):
    - Is the editing clients i_client_modify_power greater or equal to the edited clients i_client_needed_modify_power
    - Is the editing clients i_group_modify_power greater or equal to the i_group_needed_modify_power that is
    configured on the channel
    So, say I want some client to be able to edit the permissions system, specifically the permission i_client_kick_power, but only for one specific server group called "SometimesKickers". We now check the above points from the docs:

(1) He needs a grant value on the i_client_kick_power permission that is not zero to pass (1), so lets give him 10.

(2) Next is the check of the clients i_permission_modify_power is greater or equal to this grant power. So in our case this client needs an i_permission_modify_power of at least 10. This is the only place where the value of the grant value matters (apart from not being zero). So, we give the client i_permission_modify_power of 10 also.

(3) This client can not edit i_group_modify_power (because he has no Grant power on it), so this step does not apply

(4) This client can not edit the i_permission_modify_power (because he has no Grant power on it)

(5) The client can not only set the value of i_client_kick_power, but also the grant value. When doing so step (5) ensures that he cannot set it to a higher value than 10.

For the last step we only want the client to be able to edit for one specific server group, so we give the client a i_group_modify_power of e.g. 10, and the "SometimesKickers" a i_group_needed_modify_power of 10 also. We then check the other groups to make sure all of them have a higher value at i_group_needed_modify_power to make sure only this one group is editable. To ensure no client or channel client permissions can be set we make sure the i_client_modify is not set (or lower than all clients i_client_needed_modify_power). To make sure no channel permissions are edited we make sure every channel has an i_group_needed_modify_power that is higher than 10 also.
    You think my answer is stupid ? Read This:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

In a world without fences and walls - who needs windows and gates ?

I have a question. I didn't search for the answer, so excuse me if it is answered elsewhere

In TS2, if you didn't have a certain permission (e.g. kicking rights), this option would be grayed out in menus. Is this feature going to be implemented in TS3 as well? Now it looks like I can kick as a guest, but in fact I can't.

Also, I would strongly suggest to have a good look at this permission system. I really appreciate all the hard work you put into this new version, and it's awesome how many options there are. However, it is so complex now, and counter-intuitive sometimes, that I think there will be few people who will understand how things work.

What would be a waste, is if TS3 would flop because of this. I'm sure you're aware of what I'm saying already, but I just wanted to state my opinion on what I experienced when using TS3 for the first time.
    I don't know if this is a temporary permissions set-up, but I do hope it will be a lot simpler to use, and above all, understand, in the future!
    Last edited by -----DASH-----; July 23rd, 2010 at 02:49 AM.

Question to Right Granting

I have only an german teamspeak 3 server, but i try to translate my question to english ...

Can someone please explain this:

Under Rights-Server Groups, you see an table with 5 rows.

Rows are called "Right", "Value", "Skip" "Negiate" and "Granting"...

What does the number in the 5th row "Granting" stands for and for what it is used for ?

Yo u mean Grant?

This is power, that is needed to edit this permission (needed permission modify power).
    It must be equal or lower as your i_permission_modify_power in your group or client permission.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Thread Information