Forum

Solved [solved] Permissions forced by providers

Can someone that actually knows and doesn't just believe they know tell me what exact permissions have to be set by providers....the absolute set....I know they have a set of "Recommended" settings...but "Exactly" what is allowed and what is against the ATHP. The settings i am looking for isn't on the End Users Lic. and I don't believe they are on the MLA either. I'mjust looking for the black and white here...either yes or no list.

Thank You,

Every provider is different... In general a client will not have access to things like

-change max clients on server
    -server query
    -file transfer quota settings (depends on if they charge by data or not)

I am sure there are other settings but these are the 3 that stand out when I think about this. Pretty much any setting under the GLOBAL and many settings under VIRTUAL SERVER in the permissions window.

There is no "forced" permission set. If you are an ATHP you may set it any way you want.
    You think my answer is stupid ? Read This:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

In a world without fences and walls - who needs windows and gates ?

Ok,
    so just to be 100% sure here, when i ask something simple like this:

"Can you please enable the i_max_icon_filesize and the b_icon_manage for my TS3 server please."

and their response to me is this:

"We do not enable this option on our servers. It is a violation of our ATHP agreement with Teamspeak to do so."

This isn't a true statement.

No that statement is not true... My current provider has those enabled for our server. We are not allowed to adjust icon file size but we have the permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Ok,
    so just to be 100% sure here, when i ask something simple like this:

"Can you please enable the i_max_icon_filesize and the b_icon_manage for my TS3 server please."

and their response to me is this:

"We do not enable this option on our servers. It is a violation of our ATHP agreement with Teamspeak to do so."

This isn't a true statement.
    TeamSpeak 3's file transfer can be a traffic consuming feature so many ATHPs do not provide this in their hosting packages or limit the bandwidth. I think this is perfectly understandable, but no reason to lie to a customer.

Of course we provide a set of recommended permissions to ATHPs, but these are just suggestions. We would never tell an ATHP how to set their permissions or handle their customers.

@Grendel
    Sounds like you guys might want to find a new provider. My clan just switched providers. PM me if you want the details.

Quote Originally Posted by ScP View Post
    Of course we provide a set of recommended permissions to ATHPs, but these are just suggestions. We would never tell an ATHP how to set their permissions or handle their customers.
    You wouldnt dare if you want to keep customers
    Like M$ doesnt say how you have to configure your Windoofs Server...

This is almost the exact reason we switched providers... They were obviously clueless about TS3 and felt that if they provided a server that was adequate. It wasn't and after trying to work with them for a month we just said screw it and found a new provider who is more than willing to work with us.

Quote Originally Posted by poisonpanik View Post
    This is almost the exact reason we switched providers... They were obviously clueless about TS3 and felt that if they provided a server that was adequate. It wasn't and after trying to work with them for a month we just said screw it and found a new provider who is more than willing to work with us.
    To be fair the beta phase has been pretty demanding on server hosters, with manual permission updates etc. necessary from beta1...beta22 it has been quite a challenge to keep things in a sane state. I am sure things will smooth out (are already smoothing out) and we will see less hosters that are obviously in the deep water and not so sure how the hell they can fix there stuff . In an ideal world every ATHP would be a TeamSpeak nut, but in reality there are many which are just not that proficient, don't read the forum every day etc.
    You think my answer is stupid ? Read This:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

In a world without fences and walls - who needs windows and gates ?

That's exactly why I gave them the benefit of the doubt. I told them repeatedly that I was a major contributor here and gave them plenty of links to answer all their questions but they kept saying things like "this might be a security concern" or "we're not sure we can do this because it might be bad for us..." After going back and forth for over a month to ease their fears and provide the needed info they just stopped communicating with me all together. Not very good customer service if you ask me! I was basically offering to help them make their business better at no charge to them but they didn't want the help I guess...

Thank you guys very much....I have passed this info off to them so the ball is now in their court. Thanks again.

Thread Information