Forum

Solved [solved] Permissions; hacking?

i noticed in the logs today that someone connected, added themself to one of our custom groups, removed themself from the same group, then left, all in less than one minute. obviously looking for security holes.

the group they joined has no permissions, so no harm (i use it as a placesetter for uids) so i have their uid but dont see any use for it to diagnose this issue (except it is now banned of course)

trouble is, how did he do it? i logged in with a fresh id (no permissions) and when i tried the 'right click/set server group' i saw the groups, but they were all greyed out (like they are supposed to be)

the permissions in this group were very simple:
    i_group_meeded_modify_power 75
    b_group _is_permanent

After that test, i added i_group_needed_member_add_power 75, but that seems irrelevant if the selections were greyed out - or dont i understand how this works if a permission is missing? in other words, even though it was greyed out, since there was no permission/definition for add/subtract power, is it possible somehow to join that group other than via the right click menu? or what happened in this case, ie how did he do this?

thanks,

mark

i_group_needed_member_add_power should always have a value when you make custom groups. the best way to know if you are setting a group up correctly is to compaire it to template groups such as " Normal "

i_group_needed_member_remove_power should have a value too.

Quote Originally Posted by azzy101 View Post
    i_group_needed_member_add_power should always have a value when you make custom groups. the best way to know if you are setting a group up correctly is to compaire it to template groups such as " Normal "
    it does now but i didnt even think of it at the time since there are no rights attached to the group, AND the set server groups were all greyed out, so i figured no problem.

hence the question

[edit] i just tested a million things to see what might have happened. still no clue, but i did find this out:
    unless the group the user is in has SOME member_add rights granted, the lack of needed_member_add_power is irrelevant to the group in question for that user.
    Last edited by markgm5; August 3rd, 2010 at 08:32 PM.

Thread Information