Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Question Stability & Security ?

Hi,

I would really like to open up my TS3 Server so guests could also join etc. while I have my own area where guests couldn't get to. I guess my older experience with public Servers is that there will be too many voice-spammers and a***** joining the server and p**** off the few that maybe would appreciate it. Since TS3 is still Beta, would you say that it is secure & stable enough to do that without a major issue, like a hacker that somehow can use some bug in TS3 to gain access to admin or such things ?

What things would I need to be aware of if I don't want to run into trouble ?

Just would like to know before I decide.
    Thanks.

Wolf

i would restrict all access the guest group and normal group have to the severquery function.

check out this thread for permissions? http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthread.php?t=56997

Also, we hope something like the Bug before Beta25 never happens again :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfseye View Post
    Since TS3 is still Beta, would you say that it is secure & stable enough to do that without a major issue, like a hacker that somehow can use some bug in TS3 to gain access to admin or such things ?
    IMHO TS3 is quite stable and secure, even though the bug before b25 was bad.
    If you really want to be on the safest side I would do the follwoing:
    • Never run the TS server as root! Just in case there is a really bad security flaw in TS3, it can only affect TS and not your server running it.
    • If you really are paranoid, we can the discuss worst case scenarios: If someone would hack your server and would gain server query admin rights, he could then change any setting of the TS server. The worst he can do is delete all your channels and ban your users. That might seem bad, but for most smaller installations it just isn't too bad, because there are no passwords or personal data on the server. You would just reinstall it. My point is: The worst thing he could do, is use filetransfer to use your server and your bandwidth for illegal sharing. So if you don't use filetransfer, just block the port in your servers firewall and you are quite safe IMHO.

Mh, I reread the post and I sound a bit negative here... I have a server without password and users on it I don't know. And I'm not afraid that something might happen. (And I don't block the filetransfer, but normal users don't have access.)

Wink

Thanks, I did all that. Hopefully it will work out. Its a first test to run the Server public, at least partwise.
    I always have a backup of my Server Folder and I can overwrite the server folder anytime with the last backup, and its all working again.

Wolf

Thread Information