Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

[SUGGESTION] Possibility to select DEFAULT/OS Audio Sources

--- Sound setup: Be able to define WINDOWS/DIRECTX DEFAULT ---

Win7 does have a nice sound system, and for the first time you can switch between your Speaker Surround System to your USB HeadSet by changing source in only one place (Sound Control panel applet).

Games and applications follow automatically. That is, if they can be set to use the DEFAULT Audio sources. In TS3 I can only see the actual soundcards I have (so Speakers OR HeadSet), meaning I must change it in TS as well, for both input and output. All other software I've encountered has this option, even Ventrilo. Please add that to avoid having to change Audio Inputs/Outputs in two places (TS will be forgotten, leading to problems inside games/matches... )

Otherwise an EXCELLENT new version.

(I usually use a separate pro noise cancelling michrophone while using my 7.1 Surround Speaker System, or a HeadSet with a built in michrophone when the wifey and neighbours so demand).

You already can change your audio input or output device/setting.
    Just create another profile, with different settings or different device and now you can have the choice to select another device.
    You can do it per hotkeys or right-click on current server tab.

Hello.

I know this, and that's a workaround, not a solution, I do have to change something, that's the issue. I request TS to change Audio inputs/outputs automatically as everything else does, when I change the OS setting. It's very likely a very simple thing to code, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was planned - just not implemented (in the beta) yet.

Besides, I already have 2 profiles, one for PTT and one for VA. To control Audio sources also, that means at least two more profiles just to to get the audio right. Feels cumbersome and excessive and not intuitive or productive.
    Last edited by Agrikaan; September 9th, 2010 at 06:50 AM.

Examples,

The following applications and applets change automatically and immediately as I change the Win7x64 OS settings, between 7.1 speakers with an external microphone, to USB headset with a built-in microphone. I have shortcuts/hotkeys for these system altering changes.

- All Windows 7 system sounds and alerts (duh)
    - Firefox and Internet Explorer, websites
    - Ventrilo, input and output
    - Winamp, audio
    - Spotify, audio
    - Audio extractor, tests
    - iTunes
    - Nero, alerts
    - Quicktime
    - Media Player (classic)
    - EVEmon, alerts
    - XFIRE, alerts and voice chats
    - Trillian, message alerts
    - MSN, message alerts
    - Firewall and AV, alerts
    - uTorrent, alerts
    - All games (some games will let you change audio sources, incl default).

The following applications does NOT change, and require manual and individual change of settings (several times per day for me), simply because they lack the option to use "default system device".

- Teamspeak

Skype I hardly ever use, voice chat in STEAM the same, as Vent/TS is used instead. Steam voice chat is also unreliable, but will change automatically after a (Steam or system) restart.
    Last edited by Agrikaan; September 10th, 2010 at 11:17 AM.

I also would love this function

Maybe this will be possible, when the whole sound system from the client got an overhaul. This is planned (before the final) and maybe will solve a lot of soundproblems with onboard cards.

I too would also like this function.

As a side note, Skype works just fine for me. In it's advanced options, you can pick and prioritize your mic/speakers, which I have set so that my USB headset takes priority. As soon as I connect my USB headset the mic and speakers instantly switch to it, and when I unplug, it switches to my motherboard.

Different way of achieving it I suppose, but it's automatic, and I don't like how teamspeak 3 I have to go in and fiddle with the source/output devices everytime I put my headset on or off -- really annoying while you are inside a game.

Would like to see "Default System Device" in the playback/capture settings too.

System default device

Yeah, seriously i would have thought that a "System default device" option in the playback and capture settings would have been an obvious feature.

Every time i disconnect my headset the Headset device is removed from Windows list of device and so TeamSpeak plays back on my speakers if i do not plug my headset before i start the application (all other application switch to the headset automaticaly because they use the default device), which doesnt allow me to add Teamspeak in my windows startup folder.

Come on guys, move on up a bit! Even Mumble supports this. And that for free.

Thread Information