Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Channel bans

I was just wondering if it was possible to ban people from specific channels or sub-channels as opposed to just kicking them. And if so, how do i give that privilege to the channel admins?

You can create a channel group and set that channel group's permission such that their channel join power is less than the needed join power of the channel. Then they will not be able to join that channel.

So when they are in the channel, right click on them and set them to the channel group you created. Then you will need to move them out of the channel and then they will be locked out.

You could probably expand this to restrict other functions like messaging and poking and so on. If you want to "unban" the person you would need to drag them back into the channel and remove them from the channel group.

Worked like a charm, thanks for the help maggy!

Needed Function "Ban from Channel"

Need a function to ban people from channels but not but not from the server. I need it mostly for Channel Admins that want to remove an offending user. For Query, Server, and Channel Admins this channel ban should be permanent ban for the life of the room then it should expire once the room is deleted. If the room is permanent then obviously the user will be channel banned for life out that channel. Although since everyone runs their server differently adding this ability for "Operators" may be a good idea also. Just make sure this can be turned on or off as depending on what the Server Owner sets as an allowable default.

This function would work similar to the "kick from channel" but instead the offending user will not be able to re-enter that channel.

To be honest I feel it would be hard to find a person that wouldn't like this option added. I hope to see this in the near future. I posted here because it seems that Teamspeak Support watches this part of the forum carefully and I want this to be seen by them.
    Last edited by jayw654; January 17th, 2010 at 07:22 PM.

Something that you can do now with the permission is adjust all the current Channel Groups to have a Channel Join Power (i_channel_join_power) of at least 10. Add a new channel group call channel ban and leave the Channel Join Power (i_channel_join_power) undefined. Now on the channels you want to allow channel banning (not the default channel of course) set the Needed Channel Join Power (i_channel_needed_join_power) to 10. After you add someone to the new Channel Ban group, move/kick them from the channel and they can't rejoin.

I added a temp and perm version of this to my server and it appears to work.

--- Merged ---

Found a simpler way. Add new Channel Ban group and set the Channel Join Power (i_channel_join_power) to a negative value. No need to adjust all the other groups. By default this enables the channel ban function on all the channels. If a user is banned from the default channel they can still join the server, but can't move back to default channel once they leave.
    Last edited by florian_fr40; March 1st, 2012 at 07:24 AM.

Re-Request "Ban from Channel" Function

Any chance that they'll add an option "ban from channel" soon? To further explain this feature would ban a user from the channel but not the server, this allows the user that was banned from a specific channel to enter a different one. Why do i see it as a need? Well when opening the server to the public some people are simply vindictive and malicious and simply like to cause problems and with the current methods are a bit harsh. As is a guest user can simply walk in and create a channel and become chan admin then wait for an unsuspecting user to walk to simply up and ban the person entering the channel for no reason just because the lousy admin thinks its "fun". Yes, this have see this happen on other chats systems often but it doesn't matter that it happens because on those system the admin/moderator only has the power to ban the person only from that channel/room. This is the reason having a "ban from channel" function is needed. Well I hope this explanation is complete enough to understand the reason for the request of adding the feature "ban from channel". Also, I know that the server admin can simply ban the person being vindictive and malicious but the problem is that by the time i would find out many people would have been needlessly been banned from the server? Lastly, I'm not the only person that has requested this feature as tons of other people wish it was available also. I hangout on voice.teamspeak.com and many people wish they had the feature as there have been occasions where it was needed. Such as a user doesn't tuned there mic correctly and refuses to listen. Well banning them from the server is a bit harsh and simply taking the mic away only allows them to stay in the room and sit around. Granted they can't do nothing but still I rather not have a person in my room that can't talk.

*p.s. if you have already made the decision to add this feature then ignore. However, until it is added I will be making posts until feature is added.
    Last edited by jayw654; February 3rd, 2010 at 08:25 AM.

An easy way to do this is to create a permenet group called "Banned From Channel" channel group, with the permission i_channel_join_power to -1

so when the person come into the channel, set it up, and then kick them out of the channel and done. they can no longer join the channel.

Or if you want to take away the user's talk power (but they can still join the channel), you can create another group called "Silenced" group with i_client_talk_power to -1

hope this helps

This is a good idea.

If you have access to Serverquery, you can do this without waiting for the user to join and dragging him around.
    Just login to Serverquery and use "setclientchannelhroup".

Not good enough

tried this method, takes a bit for feature to work. Not very good for having the real thing. I'll pass on this and i'm still requesting the real thing.

Ban From Channels

I tought that if you could ban from channels it would be like a server for the channelowners on the server.
    You dont need so many servers just a channel for the users AND that is more efficient.

wow, that idea is very great! then you can put several clans/guilds on one server with a higher security. we often had the problem that if just one person left our clan or was kicked out we had to change our channelpassword - but why always tell everyone a new password if you just can ban him?
    awesome

Besides passwords you can work with permissions (join_power / needed_join_power).
    But this has been already requested in other threads, jsut do a forum search.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcazar View Post
    Besides passwords you can work with permissions (join_power / needed_join_power).
    But this has been already requested in other threads, jsut do a forum search.
    I am using that now but i thought it would be more efficient that you can ban from channels. the smaller clans only need a channel not a complete server for 32+ slots:P

Lightbulb ban user from channel

hello everybody,

a idea just came into my brain. here we go:

it would be a great feature to restrict access for some teamspeak users to a certain channel by banning them only from the channel instead of banning from the server.

let´s take a look at the teamspeak 3 public server:
    i often create a temporary channel without password because i enjoy talking to other users popping into the channel and having fun with them.
    but sometimes there are retarded ones recording and spamming all the time and the channeladmins have several possibilities to get shot of these retardeds: mute, something special, kick from channel, kick from server, setup a password or contact an admin/meta.

and finally my suggestion: ban from channel

In my opinion a new, useful and functional solution to get rid of undesirable teamspeak users.

Thread Information