Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Voices on TS3 aren't real

Hello everyone, i've used TS2 for a lot of years, maybe 7 until now and i've used a lot of different voip/chat softwares and i know maybe "you all already know" but voices on TS3 are different from what they usually sound in other softwares. It's not about the codec, it's like the pitch is not natural, there's surely something wrong, like everyone has a younger voice.

Since i'm not the only one thinking that, will it be a chance to have an integrated equalizer (even if really basic!) on ts3 or something to get "real voices"?

Thanks!

I my opinion it sounds like I stand in front of that person. I already had meet with my co-workers and they sounded like Ts.

This is just my opinion. Ps this s a support forum, but thank you for sharing your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by d3stroyah View Post
    Hello everyone, i've used TS2 for a lot of years, maybe 7 until now and i've used a lot of different voip/chat softwares and i know maybe "you all already know" but voices on TS3 are different from what they usually sound in other softwares. It's not about the codec, it's like the pitch is not natural, there's surely something wrong, like everyone has a younger voice.

Since i'm not the only one thinking that, will it be a chance to have an integrated equalizer (even if really basic!) on ts3 or something to get "real voices"?

Thanks!
    Actually if you know anyone in real life that also uses ts with you. TS3 is more REAL then TS2. perhaps you got used to how they "sounded" on ts2. but it was not thier true voice. I know several of the guys I game with in real ife, and ts3 sounds more true to a Phone call and even talking to them without a device.

Hard to tell

There are about ten people I regularly talk to personally and via TS3. Some of them sound very natural, others -- well, I recognise their voices, but their real life voices differ more from their TS3 voices than with other people. Maybe voice transmission works better for some voices. Or it's a psycho-acoustic phenomenon. Or some people simply use better microphones than others. Would be worth an experiment, I think.

Microphone quality and codec quality play a huge role in this. TS3 can only transmit what it's given (aka, what the mic sends to ts3). Better quality mics sound much more like real life than microphones (such as web cams) that are low quality.

Then of course codec quality plays a role.

IMO, it sounds very close to the real voice.

No transmitted voice is the same as real life.

Enviornment - Humidity, Temperature, Atmospheric Pressure, Acoustics, Other Noise...
    Speakers Shape - Head, Tongue, Mouth, Condition...
    Speakers Tissue - Head, Tongue, Mouth, Condition...
    Speakers Orientation - Height, Direction, Position...
    Listeners Shape - Head, Ear, Condition...
    Listeners Tissue - Head, Ear, Condition...
    Listeners Orientation - Height, Direction, Position...

Oh I am sure I am missing some LOL suffice it to say, if you think you sound good and others politely tell you "you can't sing"... sing when alone (because how you hear yourself is not how anyone else hears you unless they are in your head).

Computer Hardware itself filters many of RL conditions due to frequency ranges of the Mic and the ADCs that are used on the senders sound cards. The CODECs again filter the hardware obtained information to lower bandwidth by a band pass frequency range and compression scheme (simplistically every 4th value dropped). The program that transmits this information has little effect on the quality. Then how the receivers sound card DAC's convert the information in to analog to effect the speakers/headphones and they too also are rated for frequency ranges.

I have tested the same CODEC family and class on many VOIP programs and found very little if any difference on quality of sound to my ear... (hhmmm maybe time to put my Oscilloscope to work).

That being said I have found CPU load and computer memory leakage using different VOIP programs and this can cause some quality issues, though IMO TS3 is one of the better in this reguard.

Thread Information