Forum

Thread: NPL won't work

NPL won't work

i've just setup a server, and im quite new to teamspeak
    i got the NPL.dat, and placed that in the same folder as the executable for the server
    but it still says that only 32 clients can connect
    what did i do wrong?

Hello

Have you stopped your teamspeak instance before add your licence ?.

ah, yes, forgot to mention that
    i've stopped (rightclick on icon>exit) it, rebooted whole PC, and even tried creating a new server (deleting everything and extracting the files again, and then placing the .dat there)

Did you try to edit your servers maxslots? If so what error did it give you?
    Also note that the slots don't get edited automatically just by inserting the license (Just pointing it out, although it should have been obvious).

as i said, im a TS newbie, so i didnt know/did
    in the instructions (video tut and email) it only said about drop the license in that directory
    so how would i do that? (gonna look for it, but might not find it)

When connected right click on your server name in the channel list and the option should be something like "edit virtual server". You can setup max slots there.

To change the max slots on the server:
    1. you join your server
    2. Right-click on your servers name and choose "edit virtual server"
    3. Change the number after "Maximum Clients" to what you want it to be and hit apply.
    (only works if you are in the serveradmin group or have the right set explicitly for your client)
    There is an alternative way via Server-Query but as you are a beginner aforementionned solution should be the easiest to accomplish.

Note that you can only change the max clients to a value below 512 slots. Otherwise your (virtual) TSserver will not start as the license denies it.

As to why the server does not edit the slots upon recognition of a license :

1. Keep in mind that with an NPL you can run up to 10 servers. If you wanted to create a second server you would have to reduce the slots on your first server before creating a second one.
    2. If due to a lack of bandwidth or ressources you would not want to host 512 slots and the server would reset its slots to 512 upon each restart, that would be pretty annoying
    3. In case you had another (commercial) license before or were trying to use a backup of another database with more than 1 server in it you would encounter license errors that would shut down all your servers if the slots of the first server were set to max.
    4. Due to how the servers are created and stored in the database it should be clear that the value has to be canged manually. (Although this one is only obvious if you know how SQL works and have seen a database already)

To me at least it was pretty obvious but if you disagree you could write a suggestion for the TS Team HERE and ask them to include it in their mail/tutorial.

this is odd, i can change the max clients, but it will only show it if i close/boot the client
    well, it works and that's enough
    thnx

Thread Information