Forum

Teamspeak 2 Windows client Vulnerability fix

Yesterday a proof-of-concept memory corruption of the TS2 client was posted on the Bugtraq mailing list.
    http://seclists.org/bugtraq/2010/Oct/271

A malicious user can send a specially crafted packet packet to the server that will cause a memory corruption on all the All the clients receiving the voice transmission.

The vendor is not supporting TS2, since 's a legacy version. Users are instructed to upgrade to TS3.
    Oh i see; no support for TS2 anymore i guess fixing the bug will require too many man-hours? right...?
    and we are most likely safe because:
    a weaponized exploit has been developed but will not be released to the public.
    right...?
    wrong
    It took me 40 minutes to a write a full exploit of this bug.
    http://tldr.me/2hk68.png

By disabling the "CELP Windows 5.2 Kbit" codec on your server this 'Vulnerability' is rendered to void.

Can't believe TS2 devs won't even do a effort into disabling that 1 codec to extend the lifetime of their product.

Not sure whats gonna happen with ts2 (don't want to use it myself ever again ), but great work! And with this workaround it seems as usable as before.

TeamSpeak 2 isn't under development. The developers won't start working on any bugfixes for TS2 . They are fully concentraed on theire current product TS3.

Thread Information