Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[Client API Request/Question] Access to main TS3 FMOD Thread

Hi guys -

So, I've ran into a bit of an issue. Currently I have a independent thread (for obvious reasons; TS3's main thread calls into the callbacks). This independent thread needs to play a sound.

Considering FMOD is not thread safe, this thread will, on occasion, cause FMOD to hang.

So far - I have not been able to come up with a solution to this problem. My question/request is:

1. Is there any way to accomplish this? I cannot see a callback that is consistently called. My best bet was injecting into a DSP - but that (could) block all sound playing.

2. Is there the possibility of the next API version having a onFMODSystemUpdate(FMOD::System *) that is called right before the actual update call is performed?

Hello there,

we are currently removing fmod from our code base, so this issue will be fixed automatically by this. Please let us know how things to with our new sound system once the next client is released.
    You think my answer is stupid ? Read This:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

In a world without fences and walls - who needs windows and gates ?

I'll tell you how it will be, it will be ruined.

Our plugin extensively uses FMOD to do what it does, removing it will destroy our plugin.

Beta36 will be the "stable" version of TS3 for some time to come for the ArmA2 community if you remove FMOD.

I'd also like to mention that our plugin is the highest rated plugin in your addons section as well.

I've seen what this plugin can do. For the love of all that is gaming related, don't pull FMOD. This is a major plugin for the ArmA community, and if you pull it, nou is right, it will ruin the plugin, and then odds are the ArmA community won't update. Please do not pull FMOD.

Quote Originally Posted by NouberNou View Post
    I'll tell you how it will be, it will be ruined.

Our plugin extensively uses FMOD to do what it does, removing it will destroy our plugin.

Beta36 will be the "stable" version of TS3 for some time to come for the ArmA2 community if you remove FMOD.

I'd also like to mention that our plugin is the highest rated plugin in your addons section as well.
    yes, i can second this. if you remove fmod , that will break the best addon for the arma-community.

it doubles the fun for communication and teamplay. so donīt rip that apart.

greetz
    masty

I hope that the developers will develop a new interface to the new soundsystem, so you can interact with it as well(perhaps a developer can confirm or disclaim it!?).

So if FMOD is not the best solution for TeamSpeak, one plugin should not be the killer phrase to keep FMOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    I hope that the developers will develop a new interface to the new soundsystem, so you can interact with it as well(perhaps a developer can confirm or disclaim it!?).

So if FMOD is not the best solution for TeamSpeak, one plugin should not be the killer phrase to keep FMOD.
    I would definitely like a confirmation/denial on this. Specifically, how much from scratch are we going to have to re-implement the following. Also, will it even be possible?

1. Dynamically updating speaking output channels/streams in real-time while speaking
    2. DSP functionality?
    3. 3d World simulation? Geometry?
    4. API Access for all of this from a plugin?

Or at least knowing how much functionality will be accessible from a plugin so we can start re-writing some of this functionality. I know from the plugin API perspective, the TS3 dev's already do not consider real-time changes to the channels using FMOD. Will this just become worse with a hand-written system? Thats the whole reason this ticket popped up.

Lastly - RE "So if FMOD is not the best solution for TeamSpeak". I doubt it has to do with 'best solution", and more financial. FMOD requires commercial licensing.

The best game add-on for TS3 ... especially considering that the ARMA community is relatively small compared to other FPS... ( I know it is a tactical sim...) It shows just how nice this addon is.. I hope we find a solution to this problem. Can the new system run in parallel to FMOD to see if it is very hard for the guys to convert over... thx
    Last edited by gonk66; December 6th, 2010 at 03:35 AM.

Do NOT remove FMOD from the codebase without giving the developers alternate methods of integration.

Otherwise don't remove FMOD at all!

ACRE makes ArmA (along with ACE) the best damn sim out there.

That's a real shame!

More so that this has obviously come as a complete sideswipe to plugin devs, such as the ACRE team.

If you have never used it you might not understand how much it improves the game we play. It is hugely used in the ArmA community and is without a doubt the most inovative and advanced plugin made for your piece of software. Instead of ruining it, you should be encouraging it. I wonder how many people have switched from Ventrillo or Roger Wilco to TeamSpeak just because of ACRE.

As already mentioned, I'm pretty sure this will mean that your current release of TS will be the standard for most of the ArmA community - at least until the ACRE team can (if they have the motivation left after this move) find a way to get it to work with your new version. If it doesn't work, I'd dare say that 90% of clans/units playing ArmA2 will be using Beta36 and nothing else.

Our group has a history of using TS, since the early days of it. However, right now our only reason for staying with TS is because of the plugins it supports that others do not.

I'm wondering what your motiviation of the "best plugin" poll is...considering you're removing the key component of the plugin that has received the highest praise.

Totally gutted about this!

Edit: anyone else find it sadly ironic that TS dev think they're fixing an issue Jaynus brought up by removing the one thing that Jaynus' mod needs to work?
    Last edited by nhedge; December 6th, 2010 at 12:22 PM.

Hi guys,

first things first: Please calm down, all is going to be fine . I am sorry that removing fmod will mean some plugins will need some extra work done, and it appears that this plugin is affected. Sorry about that.

Now to the good news:
    Not only do we fix many bugs/issues that we could not properly fix due to having our hands tied by using an external sound library like fmod, but we also add much better support for any plugins/tools/programs that use our SDK or Plugin SDK framework and wish to customize the sound system. With the nofmod version, it will be really easy to add filters or positional audio data to each individual client stream. You are really in control of how each single audio stream is processed.

So guys, please just hold back your doubts, and give this new version a fair chance. Probably some coding work will have to be done by this plugin's author when updating to the new interface, but I would not be astounded if the plugin would emerge better and more powerful after this rewrite is complete.

Will there be any possibility of getting an API preview, or perhaps at least some documentation on it, or even just the header files - so we can begin doing any re-designing we need?

Not asking for a full up pre-release of your next version, but at least some information in case we need to start re-designing any of our major components (since we have some rather interesting designs to get around the way TS3 handled FMOD to begin with).

We hope to have a beta channel release (via our updater) available in 2 weeks, I will make a forum post then detailing on how to get the new version.

Hi Peter -

Any movement or word on this? I saw some posts on you giving it sneak-peaks of the new beta on the official TS3 server - it seems like you took it down before I could get to it though.

Any sort of API preview or even just a header file I could get would be amazingly helpful.

Thanks.

Bumping requesting more news...we've held our release cycle for over a month now. Any word would be nice

Thread Information