Forum

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I'm only using this VPS for hosting my Teamspeak server, although I got some interesting results when scanning for open ports with nMap and http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

None of the ports that Teamspeak use are open. They were open yesterday though when I performed the exact same scans.

Port 9787 is closed on xx.xxx.xxx.xx.

^ That is the same with every port that Teamspeak uses. Query, file, voice.

Either they are closed due to firewall, or the virtual servers died...

Each time I restart the VPS (which takes about 15-20 minutes) the TS server stays up and running. After a few hours, the TS Server will crash, and I'll have to restart the VPS.

Never saw any server (or any OS for that matter) which takes 15+ Minutes to reboot...

Also ever considered restarting the TS3 Server?

Also post the latest Server Logs... both the _0.log the one for the Virtual Server you cannot connect to anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentStorm View Post
    Never saw any server (or any OS for that matter) which takes 15+ Minutes to reboot...
    Some (cheap) providers delay server rebooting to up several minutes. As part of an "premium" (and therefore more expensive) service, this delay disappears.

The logs don't show anything interesting, I posted screenshots on this thread earlier.

And yeah, 15-20 minutes to boot and it's Windows Server 2003

Quote Originally Posted by PhilWhite View Post
    The logs don't show anything interesting, I posted screenshots on this thread earlier.

And yeah, 15-20 minutes to boot and it's Windows Server 2003
    Unless your provider (as has been suggested) is delaying the boot process, it shouldn't take more than a minute or two on a Windows Server 2003 VPS. How much memory does it have and are there any errors in the event viewer after a reboot?

Also, if memory is limited, Window will shut down services to stop the system dying altogether.

Actually I think that the main problem is dynamic IP. It shouldn't be dynamic, so I don't know what VPS provider you have but probably that's the reason.

When you start TeamSpeak it's running fine because users can join through IP, but after some time IP changes and it's not working anymore.

That's just my solution, I'm not sure if it's right but it looks like that's the problem.

Check your server IP f.e. at http://whatsmyip.org - it must be public IP, not private one. After TS3 server stops "working" re-check if it's the same. If it is then problem is somewhere else. If it's not - that's the reason.

In any event, the problem seems to be with the host service and not with teamspeak. Also, if you are only using the VPS for teamspeak you may consider just renting a teamspeak server.

Teamspeak runs fine on any VPS which contains at least 128 mb of ram and ~1 ghz processor. Bandwidth depends on users but f.e. mine server uses 1-2 megabits / second with 70-90 users online. But hey... if you're using windows environment then it's not enough... I don't even know why anybody needs GUI on server at all o_O
    Last edited by ARCHI; July 9th, 2012 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maxi1990 View Post
    Some (cheap) providers delay server rebooting to up several minutes. As part of an "premium" (and therefore more expensive) service, this delay disappears.
    Oh yeah thats true, almost forgot about this... but this Delay (which many of them actually advertise as Feature since hey if you decide you didn't really want to reboot (after confirming you are sure about 5 times) you can still abort the reboot. -.-) is only present when using their web interfaces... you can always just shutdown -r -t 0 / shutdown -r now on shell without the delay.

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHI View Post
    I don't even know why anybody needs GUI on server at all o_O
    You know how it is... You can just click something, no need to remember 50 different commands and about 20 parameters for each of them... you can just click it.. sooo much easier and faster u know
    [/sarcasm]
    PS: no I dont use GUIs on Servers...

Quote Originally Posted by Air SeaTac View Post
    Unless your provider (as has been suggested) is delaying the boot process, it shouldn't take more than a minute or two on a Windows Server 2003 VPS. How much memory does it have and are there any errors in the event viewer after a reboot?

Also, if memory is limited, Window will shut down services to stop the system dying altogether.
    The startup isn't a problem, and it's not closing any of my processes.

I'll try to explain... It's a bit of a confusion.
    Keep in mind the OS is Windows Server 2003

Let's say I just started up the VPS and started the TS server. Most of the time, it works. People are able to connect, chat, and do the normal actions. After about an hour or two, everyone is disconnected. After this happens, I log into the VPS and start checking logs and the normal things. I right-click on the TS3 icon and scoll over WAN IP and it shows no IP. Instead it says "Needs to be requested". I click the request button and the TS3 doesn't respond anymore; I don't think this is important. What I find to be interesting is when I scan the default ports for Teamspeak3, they're all closed... But when I restart the VPS, the ports are open and things run perfectly.

A summary: After an hour or two of use, the VPS no longer accepts any connections whatsoever. nMap scan shows that absolutely no ports are open after TS3 disconnects, but right after I restart the VPS and scan, several ports are open.

I think it's a security issue... But I've no idea how to fix it.

If I had it my way, I'd have CentOS instead of Windows, but I didn't pay for the VPS...

I think you may be misinterpreting what nMap is telling you, when TS3 is running the ports will show as being open because TS3 is able to respond. When TS3 shuts down there's nothing to respond on those ports so they're shown as closed.

Out of curiosity, how are you running TS3 on the server? I also run a Windows Server 2003 VPS & set the TS3 server up as a service using srvany & instsrv, it's probably because of this I don't see the icon you mention.

I mentioned already possible solution. Check if you have static or dynamic IP on your server...

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHI View Post
    I mentioned already possible solution. Check if you have static or dynamic IP on your server...
    If a VPS provider is issuing dynamic IP's I'd find another provider, dynamic IP's should never be issued on these sort of services

Thread Information