Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Change default server group - have I misunderstood warning?

Hi all,

I want to change the default server group from Guest to another. When I attempt to do this Teamspeak warns me that all users in this group will be removed.

Am I right in thinking that they'll be removed because they just don't need to be there (since it will be the default group)?

Don't want to have to go through the list & add them all again.

Guest ServerGroup can't be permanent.
    If you want to change this group to another group, you should do it temporary. If permanently erase all users.
    But to change the group empty-temporary to empty-temporary, perhaps it would be easier to rename.

Not sure I fully understand your answer ( see note below). The group I want to make default is already a permanent group with members attached to it (if that's the right terminology).

Are you saying that if I make this the default server group it'll become temporary? Not sure what the implications of this are.

Note: You mention Guest Server Group, but I'm talking about Default Server Group, two different things in my opinion.

Normally, Default (ServerGroup) = Guest (ServerGroup)

Default ServerGroup is a temporary group. And if you assign a permanent group or semi-permanent goup, such as Default, will become temporary and delete all users.

Ah ok, but anyone connecting (who isn't already a member of another group) will automatically become a member of whatever default / guest group I've set?

Default goup, is where are grouped all new users and those who have not been assigned to any server group.

Ok, thanks for the help Jordi. Based on what you've said I think it's safe to change it to what I want.

I would NOT do a Permanent as Default.
    You're going to delete all registered users in that group.

But I do not know the reasons you have to do it.
    If you going to do that, first makes a copy of the permanent server group, in case you later regret.

By my understanding, there's no such thing as 'registered' in TS3, so I'm guessing if I do change the default server group, all members of that group, if deleted, would just be automatically made a member of that group when they reconnect.

My reasons for changing are that when I first set up my server it was without password, because I wanted to make it as easy as possible for members to connect. To stop uninvited guests running riot I restricted the default group to the Guest channel and a VERY restrictive permissions set. I now have a password set on the server and want the default group to have elevated permissions, the easiest way I thought of doing this was to set the default group to one I'd already set up with the right permissions.

Hope I've made sense!!

Yes, you're right.
    If you make this group Default, all users who are in the group will be deleted.
    But each time they connect, will reappear in this group, until reassigned to another server group.

Thanks again Jordi, I'll look at making the change tomorrow (been drinking tonight!!)

Changes made, and after some testing with 'dummy' accounts it seems to have gone ok

Thread Information