Forum

Serversnapshotdeploy will not work

Hello everybody,
    before the question arises, yes, I have read page 15 in the serverquery manual about the two commands and successfully created a snapshot of a virtualserver.

What I want to do:

move a virtualserver from server a to server b.

I am using PuTTY to create and capture the snapshot. The output is a single line with no line breaks/new lines which is quite extensive, since the server has many channels and a lot of registered clients. The way I save the snapshot is that I log PuTTYs output into a textfile.

When I copy that single line from the serversnapshotcreate-procedure into the telnet connection to use serversnapshotdeploy, I get the following error message:

error id=1538 msg=invalid\sparameter

So, importing the server does not work as expected. Is this a known issue, and if so, are there any solutions? If it's a new issue, what can I do to help resolve this?

Why do I not just copy the server database to the from server a to server b? I want to migrate the virtualserver from server b to server a, which already has other virtualservers running. So, just copying the database is no solution since this would delete all existing virtualservers.

Both servers run the latest beta 30 of the teamspeak server software for windows.
    Last edited by eViLsTieFel; January 7th, 2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Added some information

Hello

With putty you haven't the entire line.
    You can use the ServerQuery console on the client (Tools > ServerQuery), but the line is too big.

You must use a script for that.

Or use the Psychokiller's web interface.

That is not the problem, I do have the entire line. As I have stated, I use logging to capture the output. The line starts with hash=I2jQF2vg and ends with end_flat|end_permissions, followed by the line error id=0 msg=ok. This is exactly what I get if I use psychokiller's interface to export. However, importing still results in the error message given above.

I assume before deploy the snapshot of the server a, you replaced the Hash, virtualserver_unique_identifier and key_pair parameters (to match of the server b).

Thanks for that comment, as I couldn't find any text about this being necessary. Although after fixing these three parameters, the error still prevails.

Just to proove that the snapshot logged by PuTTY is in the right format: when I "serversnapshotdeploy" the snapshot just created at the new "clean" target virtualserver, the process works.

But even when I try to deploy the snapshot of the virtualserver that I want to transfer onto itself, I get the error.

So I assume there must be some permission value, or general value in that virtualserver that is either

• unvalid as it is outdated
    • contains characters which break the process

I guess there is not much I can do about that

Quote Originally Posted by eViLsTieFel View Post
    Thanks for that comment, as I couldn't find any text about this being necessary.
    It's normal, because the snapshot is a backup function not a transfer function.

This is another reason to use a script with this function (not directly with putty or ServerQuery window).
    Last edited by florian_fr40; January 9th, 2011 at 06:00 PM.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I understand now what the problem was.

It had indeed something to do with encoding and characters, the editor I used (or, for that matter, any editor) changed some encoding settings so that characters mismatched with the stuff then pasted into PuTTY. The problem didn't occur with the "clean" virtualserver because there were no special characters included.

I got it fixed though and was able to transfer the virtualserver just now. Working like a charm.

Still think that that video would be quite helpful to other people and me included if I ever need to to it again the "proper way".

Thanks for the support.

Quote Originally Posted by eViLsTieFel
    I got it fixed though and was able to transfer the virtualserver just now. Working like a charm.
    Good news

would you might care to tell us the right encoding needed for this?

because I think I have the same problems with special characters

@rindorbrot

Info :
    Teamspeak use the UTF-8 coding.
    To avoid problems, use tools like notepadd++ if you copy and paste the server answer.

that's exactly what i'm doing

I use notepad++ with UTF-8

but it still doesn't work to deploy a snapshot.
    I still get the invalid parameter error

Is there any way to see which parameter is wrong?

Sorry for my "useless" solution report. What I ended, because I couldn't figure out proper encoding settings (and, weirdly enough, Notepad++ crashed when trying to open the document of the dump, as did Notepad2) was that I used psychos script and then copied text files from server a to server b, using the script again on the other server to update.

I have no idea as to why the characters would get mixed up, even when I explicitly saved the file edited in notepad (which could open it fine without crashing) in UTF-8.

Remember that this query command is for use in a script (best solution)

Thread Information