Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Separate Channels for Separate Groups

I've been searching the forums looking for ways to do something like this

I could make this a little less complicated, but i'm just going to give you the exact scenario that I have.
    I have 3 groups. Call them groups X Y AND Z.

Group X is a normal member of the Teamspeak server and I would want said member to be able to join channel A, but not channel B or C.

Group Y is an officers group, and I would want said officer to be able to join channels A and B, but not channel C

Group Z is a separate group altogether, and I would want said group to ONLY be able to join channel C

The question is, is this possible? As far as I know, no, it's not. That seems a little ridiculous. Teamspeak 3 has a very advanced permissions system, yet it's not being used to it's full potential. Every other post regarding something similar to this issue was locked and the people requesting such a feature were sent to other threads that contained people complaining about the issue, then being told that it doesn't work and they should pretty much just get over it.

But this is a SUGGESTIONS forum. I'm SUGGESTING that the Teamspeak 3 dev team take a good hard look at their permissions system and take requests and suggestions from their users and beta testers, so that they can cater to the needs of all the Clans, Guilds, and Communities out there with more than 1 or 2 groups.

Thank You, NivexQ.

Edit :: I forgot to mention that putting passwords on the channels is just not possible. It's too much of a hassle for the amount of people that we would be dealing with. Besides, with this type of permissions system, passwords seem obsolete, and unnecessary.

Edit 2 :: I realize now that I should've been more specific. By groups, I mean SERVER groups. While this task could be accomplished using channel groups, I believe it would be much simpler if it could be accomplished using only Server groups.
    Last edited by NivexQ; February 22nd, 2011 at 11:07 PM.

Hi.

There are a few ways to tackle this. I will show you one way the above can be accomplished. It may not be the most efficient or easiest way but it will be one way you can do it.

METHOD 1
    You can make 2 server groups
    Group "x" with join power say 30
    Group "y" with join power say 40

Channel "a" with needed join power of 30
    channel "b" with needed join power of 40

Assign appropriate groups to each user that needs access to channel A and B

Now for C you can accomplish this by CHANNEL groups. You can make a channel group "z" with join power of say 50 and the needed join power of channel "C" to 50. You will need to put the users into the channel group 'Z' in channel C. These users will not be able to join A or B because this channel group is limited to channel C. They will not have join power to join A or B.

Now that is utilizing server groups + a channel group. It is also possible to just do ALL channel groups.

METHOD 2
    You just make 1 channel group with join power (say 10). Put needed join power on Channels A,B,C. Then you'll have to drag each user to the channel they are allowed in and assign them the channel group.

So basically If user X can be in A + B then you will have to assign channel group to user X to channel A then assign the same channel group to user X in channel B.

I lied and ended up typing out two methods. Each method has advantages and disadvantages. You can choose your poison. Like i said there are also other ways to go about this but maybe you get the gist now. You can also use the permission ignore channel password and put passwords on the channels. You will not need to know the password or even give it out.

I get all that, and that's how I did it in my situation. I'm just saying that this should all be able to be accomplished using Server Groups in my opinion. This is so because if I now wanted group Z to be able to join ANOTHER channel i'd have to get everyone in the channel group for that channel now, and that's a pain. It could be much simpler, and that's just my suggestion.

Hello

This thread can give you some ideas : http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...up-join-power)

Quote Originally Posted by florian_fr40 View Post
    Hello

This thread can give you some ideas : http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...up-join-power)
    You don't get what i'm saying. Re-read my post. Hopefully a dev will understand my suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by NivexQ View Post
    ... i'd have to get everyone in the channel group for that channel now, and that's a pain. It could be much simpler, and that's just my suggestion.
    They dont have to be online... Can just go permissions->channelgroups->Clients in your Z Channel Group->Choose new channel and add everyone by Database ID or Unique ID

Quote Originally Posted by SilentStorm View Post
    They dont have to be online... Can just go permissions->channelgroups->Clients in your Z Channel Group->Choose new channel and add everyone by Database ID or Unique ID
    You're all missing the point. Just let the devs take the suggestion.

Thread Information