Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Solved How to set Password after missing first chance

I didn't want to complicate my initial setup so I left the password blank but now I want to add one so we can have a private section for different games etc. How can I set the password so all the clients need to use one to keep outside hackers or troublemakers out?
    Thanks,
    schemer

Hello

I assume you talk about the server password.
    Tools > Edit Virtual server >

Thanks florian_fr40. I figured it out. I must say that anybody new to this should watch the most excellent videos as they answer most all of the questions. I just installed the TS3 server yesterday on a spare pc and was using it within an hour (would have been sooner but my helper/tester made a mistake entering the ip address). Great software.
    schemer

Schemer,
    Did you know that you don't need a helper/tester to test most things? Of course you need one to test access from outside your network but to test permissions you can join with multiple identities in separate tabs, at the same time or individually, to test these things. Then you know it gets tested exactly as you need

I figured I could test that way as I used to run a BBS years and years ago and would test permissions that way. But thanks for the tip. I do have another password question though. If I am on my LAN connected pc and log on to the server, it seems I do not need to enter a password to connect. Is this normal as I am the server admin? I had my testers try to log on without using the password and they could not get in without it.
    Thanks,
    schemer

I'm happy to see, that you got a solution for your problem, but setting a password for the Server or Channel is not the best way to protect tham in my oppinion. The problem is, that you can't get the password out of someones mind, when she or he shuldn't have access enymore. If it becomes nessasary that someone cant'n access enymore, you must change the password and inform all the others.

The better way is to use the permission-system, so you can grant and revoke acces like you need. On my Server I changed the Default Channel by setting the "needed_talk_power" higher than the talk_power of the group "guests" an the "channel_join_power" of guests are lower than the needed_channel_join_power of any channel. So everyone can connct to the server but is restricted to the lobby where no talkpower is given.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry.Fox
    that you got a solution for your problem, but setting a password for the Server or Channel is not the best way to protect tham in my oppinion. The problem is, that you can't get the password out of someones mind, when she or he shuldn't have access enymore. If it becomes nessasary that someone cant'n access enymore, you must change the password and inform all the others.
    To avoid this with a server password, read this :
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...cess-Explained

Quote Originally Posted by Harry.Fox View Post
    I'm happy to see, that you got a solution for your problem, but setting a password for the Server or Channel is not the best way to protect tham in my oppinion. The problem is, that you can't get the password out of someones mind, when she or he shuldn't have access enymore. If it becomes nessasary that someone cant'n access enymore, you must change the password and inform all the others.

The better way is to use the permission-system, so you can grant and revoke acces like you need. On my Server I changed the Default Channel by setting the "needed_talk_power" higher than the talk_power of the group "guests" an the "channel_join_power" of guests are lower than the needed_channel_join_power of any channel. So everyone can connct to the server but is restricted to the lobby where no talkpower is given.
    Harry.Fox,
    Thanks for the info on this. I currently have a small number of users so it is not a problem ... yet. At least I can plan ahead now for this problem.
    Thanks,
    schemer

Quote Originally Posted by florian_fr40 View Post
    To avoid this with a server password, read this :
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...cess-Explained
    Thanks Florian_Ffr40,
    That is a good read, especially for us noobs at this.
    schemer

Thread Information