Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remove the flag

About country flags

First, TS3 is very good program. Thanks.

Question:
    How to be, if the person does not want to give the information on that in what country he lives? In my opinion, it is the confidential information.

Sorry for bad English

TS3 determines the country based on a clients IP address which is not private data to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by poisonpanik View Post
    TS3 determines the country based on a clients IP address which is not private data to begin with.
    Exactly. If you want to hide your country flag, then I suggest you hide your IP as well as its 'exactly' the same.

I do not know any audio-chat programs, any forums where it would be defined automatically. Everywhere the person himself defines what information it wants to show. Or it not so?

Sorry for bad English

You can identify (roughly) what country a user if from based on their IP address. There is nothing you can do about this but change your IP address. Teamspeak just matches an IP address with the geoIP table to determine what country that IP is from.

Not sure why you are so worried about this... Anyone who sees your IP could identify what country it is from if they wanted to.

Friends, I know as it works. And I do not worry. Simply, I want to have possibility to choose, show my flag or not. I wish to have adjustment in the program.

Sorry for bad English

I highly doubt this feature will change but you are more than welcome to make a suggestion in the suggestions forum.

I know, that no option to hide your flag will be included. I requested that before the flags where released and now I don't care about these flags anymore.
    It's no security risk and for me as an admin it makes it much easiar to sort some disturbing users, before I grant them Talk power.

What I missed in this discussion is the fact that the IP address isn't visible for simple users, so the country flag does includes information normally not available. (Not that I personally would care...)

Quote Originally Posted by Baraan View Post
    What I missed in this discussion is the fact that the IP address isn't visible for simple users, so the country flag does includes information normally not available. (Not that I personally would care...)
    As long as you have your permissions set correctly

Well, thats implied of course.

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    It's no security risk and for me as an admin it makes it much easiar to sort some disturbing users, before I grant them Talk power.
    +5, yes I agree that much.

Remove the flag

I 've seen people appearing without a flag, I do not think are connected in an unknown galaxy or on a deserted island. Please help i need to know.

You cannot hide your flag from other people since it is based on your IP, only hide it in your own client. If you are hosting a server on your network you will not have a flag since your IP is a non-routable IP address.

Th IP is jsut not registrered by the service we use. thisi s the reason, why the Ip does not appear. Official it i not possible to hide your flag.

Thread Information