Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Various server logging refinements

First of all, let me thank all developers for this great product, I love it.

My first suggestion is to modify the server logging when somebody is added/removed from a channel group.
    Currently, the server logs only who added/removed who to/from a channel group, but it doesn't log which channel the event occured in. I think this is VERY important when you need to analyze your logs.

Currently a channel group change log entry looks like this:
    Code:
    2011/3/17 18:14:43   VirtualServer   Info   client 'X'(id:XXX) was added to channelgroup 'Operator'(id:6) by client 'Y'(id:YYY)
    My suggestion is it should look like this:
    Code:
    2011/3/17 18:14:43   VirtualServer   Info   client 'X'(id:XXX) was added to channelgroup 'Operator'(id:6) by client 'Y'(id:YYY) in channel 'WELCOME CHANNEL'(id:1)

My second suggestion is an option to log when users join another channel. (User, source channel, destination channel)

My third suggestion is to log events when a user moves another user from one channel to another. For example, a server admin moves a user from the main channel to another channel. The server should log the user who performed the movement, the "victim" user, the source channel and the destination channel.
    The server should also log kicks from channels. I think these are the same events, so I guess these are the same topic.

My fourth suggestion is to log when a user starts to record the conversation.

My fifth suggestion is when somebody creates a sub-channel, the server should log its parent channel.

If any of these was suggested before, I'm sorry for opening the thread. I tried to search but didn't find anything.

first suggestion: with next server build
    fifth suggestion: with next server build

rest, we will talk after final release...

Nice to hear this, would also suggest first and last to be logged.
    As 2nd and 3rd (except channel kick), me thinks this is not necessary, some users / moderators here would cry
    "Teamspeak is not Spyspeak " again
    As for the 4th, could be nice, esp. if you have rules about recording.
    Last edited by Alcazar; March 18th, 2011 at 08:49 AM. Reason: typos fixed

Is chat logging being looked into (server/channel/private)?

Quote Originally Posted by Fujiwara View Post
    Is chat logging being looked into (server/channel/private)?
    I think so. The last time I checked, their response is "this is teamspeak, not spyspeak".

Quote Originally Posted by copper View Post
    I think so. The last time I checked, their response is "this is teamspeak, not spyspeak".
    That was also someone's opinion. I'm looking for an answer from the TeamSpeak Team.

That was also someone's opinion. I'm looking for an answer from the TeamSpeak Team.
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...stion-chat-log

I wasn't able to find it when searching, thanks for pointing that out. =D

I wasn't able to find it when searching, thanks for pointing that out. =D
    And if you are still not convinced that it's just someone's opinion, do a search on keyword "spyspeak" in the forum.

And we're way off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Ludwig View Post
    first suggestion: with next server build
    fifth suggestion: with next server build

rest, we will talk after final release...
    Any update on the other suggestions?
    Yesterday I had an incident on our public server which could be resolved easily if I had channel join logging... (User X joined channel Y (from channel Z))

Suggestions two to four will not be added.

Logging these events would serve no purpose, unnecessarily clutter the logs and make it harder to find the important stuff, kicking from channel is not really doing any harm, kicking from server and banning is already logged.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Suggestions two to four will not be added.

Logging these events would serve no purpose, unnecessarily clutter the logs and make it harder to find the important stuff, kicking from channel is not really doing any harm, kicking from server and banning is already logged.
    Yes, they would. It won't clutter the logs, because it could be an optional setting, off by default.
    I'm sorry to hear you wouldn't implement that. You have a strange attitude for logging.

Next there will be someone who requests that whenever someone goes away that should be logged in the server log as well (it is after all desirable for a server admin to know 2 weeks later if and when someone has been away...), not to mention when someone mutes their headset or microphone...

Seriously though, there is that thing called "too much", I'm all for adding features that make sense and that are beneficial but we cannot just clutter the app with stuff that makes little to no sense or that does little to no good, and it needs to have a certain balance between usefulness and generated workload.

Thread Information