Forum

This thread Address "client can kick/ban" issue and how to fix in detail.

FIRST:

Hi all i have been reading most of the threads here and i noticed the same issues again and again. The issue i will explain today is the "client can kick/ban as guest". One thing you must all realize is that TS3 comes set up like this as standard. Why? you ask would anyone make that this way? Well lets go into that, Teamspeak 3 server program is designed to run a voip server for games or what ever. Now the reason this config allows such potential abuse is because the program asumes you will spend sufficiant time to CONFIG your server PROPERLY! Also it asumes you want some degree of control of your server BEFORE THE SERVER IS MADE PUBLIC!

Again it asumes that you have made all the apropriate changes to ensure the potential for abuse is low by PROPERLY setting up your servers config settings. It also asumes that you have done all of the required reading and research NEEDED to understand how a server works and how to maintain it aswell. To close on this part of this thread this advice is paramount.

-PROPERLY CONFIG YOUR SERVER..To close and security holes that may be present due to lack of understanding of the settings or just incorrect settings DOUBLE check all settings to ensure they are RIGHT! Then and ONLY then is it appropriate to make the server open for clients to join.

HOW TO STOP CLIENTS FROM KICK/BAN ABUSING:
    Section#1

Step 1- Open the permissions dialog by clicking these steps listed.
    <Click> "PERMISSIONS" at the top of the teamspeak client. Then select "SERVER GROUPS" from the drop down menu.

eg...PERMISSIONS/SERVER GROUPS

Step#1-a This will open up another window called "Permissions Window". This window is divided into THREE sections LEFT/MIDDLE/RIGHT LEFT=server groups present on your server MIDDLE=Permissions for selected server group. RIGHT=Clients listed in selected server group. NOTE* this asumes you have selected the "SERVER GROUPS TAB" (selected by default)

Step#2- Select the "GUEST" server group after that is done all of the permissions for that group will be displayed in the MIDDLE window. **IMPORTANT** There is a search function USE IT!!! and search for these settings listed below:

"i_client_needed_kick_from_server_power" (Description)= This will be checked when a client try's to kick another client. If the person doing the kick is not authourized to do so then the "kick power" setting should and does prevent this from happening.

Lets say you dont want little timmy to be able to kick everyone here is what you set for "i_client_needed_kick_from_server_power"

i_client_needed_kick_from_server_power=100

i_client_kick_from_channel_power=(right click and "remove permission" so it appears GREY) by not setting a value for i_client_kick_from_channel_power this tells the server this person has no power at all and the needed power is 100 effectivly stopping "client kickers" as i like to call them from ever doing that again.

SOLVING THE CLIENT CAN BAN ISSUE:
    This is no different from the kick instructions above find this by doing a search in your "permissions Window" Listed below are the PROPER SETTING AND THEY WILL STOP 'Client bans" for good!

Search for these permissions and config them as you see here

i_client_ban_power=(right click this permission and select "remove permission" This setting should appear grey out after this.)

i_client_needed_ban_powerr=100 (100=the value needed to ban people if a user has no value or one lower then 100 they can not kick or ban anyone period.

Overview the listed settings are the correct settings to stop both "client can kick" issue and "client can ban" issue set the following values and you will not ever have this issue again.

i_client_ban_power=(right click this permission and select "remove permission" This setting should appear grey out after this.)

i_client_needed_ban_power=100

i_client_kick_from_channel_power=(right click and "remove permission" so it appears GREY) by not setting a value for i_client_kick_from_channel_power this tells the server this person has no power at all and the needed power is 100 effectivly stopping "client kickers" as i like to call them from ever doing that again.

i_client_needed_kick_from_channel_power=100

hope this helps FOLLOW THIS ADVICE THE LETTER AND YOU WILL HAVE NO ISSUES WITH KICK OR BAN!

Next time ill go into "my server is being hacked" issue this again is due to majorly improper server config.

NOTE** If you would like me to cover anything else that is SERVER RELATED post your suggestions here. I have a GREAT deal of xp in running ts3 servers and the config of them. My server is rock solid and no one can abuse anything we simply dont have any of the issues mentioned in any thread on this forum because we spent enough time to research and config our server to be rock solid and abuse potential free. GOOD LUCK ALL follow these instructions CORRECTLY and your issue will vanish!
    Last edited by Darkbolt; March 25th, 2011 at 05:20 PM.

I issued the kick problem, then tried to fix it in the same way you described, but nothing works, these permissions keep to be unchangeable for any server admin.
    I always get "insufficient permission modify power"

yea m2, and i used the server token and im server admin now.
    From of the begin i can't understand the teamspeak permissions!
    please work on that?

Same Problem. and Guest kick is set to -1.

Cant edit other kick permissions from other groups aswell.

looking into this problem

i will look into your specifiv problem and try to have something soon stay tuned. As for the permission being hard,Yes they are a first and it was confusing for me at 1st but now its easy very easy and you will get there too but for now i will try to find a good way to explain how to get FULL control of your server. this of course will involve server query stuff so i will try to come up with a way to simplify this so i can explain it and not confuse you more lol. Hang in there people im working on it check back soon.

Thank you, I will patiently wait

I want to patiently waiting but i can't i want to solve this problem

Unfortunately, this post is not that great in a few ways. First off the main reason people are having this problem in the first place is because with the latest version TS3 by default is not allowing us to have permission to change the permissions. (This is even using the starting key on a fresh boot of the server). So while this would be a decent post if we had absolutely no clue how to change permissions. It isn't fixing the problem.

Secondly the Server Groups Permissions window has a search function, but its purpose is to search through client names in the selected group on the right hand side. It does not search through commands as this post says, so we cannot "USE IT!!!".

I apologize if I seem a bit irritated at this point but so far I have gotten zero help researching this issue for 2 days while I'm also trying to live my life each day.

Please let me know if anyone can actually help me. I'll try and make a detailed post of the issue when I get time.

Edit: Didn't see your second post. Ahh so to fix it we need to use Server Query? That would explain why I'm having difficulty. I'll turn my research to that and see what I can do from there. Hopefully, you'll have some time to help us out too. Thanks for the post.

crazyivan - I was in the exact same boat as you till I worked out, that by default you are not given advanced permissions access. This is true no matter if your a server admin since day 1, via a token, or because another admin has made you an admin. Luckily there is a simple way to fix this.

Inside your teamspeak client (Yes the client!!!): Go to Settings -> Options -> Application (on the right) -> half way down under misc - tick the "Advanced permissions system". Now if your a server admin you should be able to follow the steps outlined by Darkbolt in his original post.

Yes this has got to be one of the stupidest default settings, considering if you are not an admin you are unable to access it anyway, so I dont know why they disabled it in a default install

Quote Originally Posted by goldi_k View Post
    crazyivan - I was in the exact same boat as you till I worked out, that by default you are not given advanced permissions access. This is true no matter if your a server admin since day 1, via a token, or because another admin has made you an admin. Luckily there is a simple way to fix this.

Inside your teamspeak client (Yes the client!!!): Go to Settings -> Options -> Application (on the right) -> half way down under misc - tick the "Advanced permissions system". Now if your a server admin you should be able to follow the steps outlined by Darkbolt in his original post.

Yes this has got to be one of the stupidest default settings, considering if you are not an admin you are unable to access it anyway, so I dont know why they disabled it in a default install
    Oh for cruds sake, that was the issue. Thanks I appreciate your help. Maybe Darkbolt should edit this step into his original post as something you should check to make sure is enabled first?

Thanks to everyone for their help in this thread. This is a much more useful thread now that I have that right :P

His original post was made prior to the release of RC1.

This issue is about permissions, not about how to get to advanced options, I got trouble since version 3.0.0-beta30 and the arrival of RC1 and his new interface does not matter about the original post.

Sorry folks im back i was on holidays and i will now look into making a tutorial on this subject asap stand by.

Keep in mind folks this tutorial was writen PRE rc-1 and does not account for the so called "simplifyed permissions" but as the man said simply check the "advanced options" in your ts3 CLIENT. And yes there are several threads about that so USE SEARCH LOL and stuff

hope it helps BTW if using your client does not work GET PUTTY (dont know what putty is?) GOOGLE
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...400#post286400

QUOTE:Secondly the Server Groups Permissions window has a search function, but its purpose is to search through client names in the selected group on the right hand side. It does not search through commands as this post says, so we cannot "USE IT!!!".
    "crazyivan1745"

There is in fact a search function for settings and it is located in the CENTER window or "permissions: window however there is the search function you speak of but it is located in the RIGHT window or "clients window". Just thought i would clear that up i know its there because i use it everyday

Thread Information