Forum

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

[Outdated] WalkieTalkie TS3 plugin (addon)

This addon reproduces walkie-talkie communication, beeps, noise and radio distortion. It makes TS sound like military radio so it can be used in shooters games or army simulators. The source code is also available along the topic, feel free to adjust or make it better.

Download Teasmpeak 3 WalkieTalkie plugin

How to install it:

Basically you just need to click on "Install now" link on the page above but here are all steps in case of problems:

1. Exit Teamspeak, remove any of previous versions from plugins folder (C:\Program Files\Teamspeak 3 client\plugins)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	remove existing items.png 
Views:	3534 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	5598

2. Run and install the plugin file (WalkieTalkieXX.ts3_plugin) from Teamspeak plugin page (link above)

Name:	plugin download.png 
Views:	2698 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	5600, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plugin install.png 
Views:	2828 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	5599

3. Start Teamspeak, go to Menu > Options > plugins, check "WalkieTalkie".

Name:	menu plugins dialog.png 
Views:	3828 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	5601

4. If the plugin fails to load you need to install one of the packs bellow:
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable win32
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable x64
    Last edited by cracker; December 7th, 2011 at 08:30 AM.

Thank's to share the source code

Don't forget to post your addon on the addon website : http://addons.teamspeak.com

I tried the plugin, its really nice, a good approach. But the distortion in the background is too much, WalkieTalkie's doesn't usually sound with that much background noise. I used them many years ago, there wasn't that much interference. If it would be a bit less, maybe it would be better. Could you try make an update with less sound distortion for when others speak ?

This guy (http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...io-Talk-PlugIn) posted an example for that. And I think its much more understandable. But I think the biggest problem is that radio voices sound different, as you hear in that video. And switching the codec in a Channel to have lower quality wouldn't be the same, even if I would do that.

I guess I should make it configurable, since you can set the volume of noise, voice or distortion level.... Its one of the reason I made the sources public, its hard to test it and make it sounds exactly like an walkie-talkie. The signal quality depends on many factors tho, sometimes you can hear it awfull. Thanks for the video, it helps.

Hi, i was happy to see someone made a plugin like that. But i dont like the sounds, sorry =/

Also it seems, after thinking about it, it dont really work. Because there are ppl with low mics and some with very loud mics.
    Could be a problem.

About the click-sounds > try this: http://alliedtaskforce.com/index.php...47342#msg47342
    I use them since month and they work very well.

I took the sounds from real radio talk. Example: http://www.mediafire.com/file/7abv11...%20example.rar

About the plugin you made: i dont know how to create or modify plugins, but i could help, when i know how, to find the distortion-level (effects ect)
    Or if you need something else about sounds - just page me =)
    (my Xfire account: cottton (3 x "t"))

EDIT: i forgot - feel free to use my mic sounds in your plugin =)
    And for the distortion - if you can set something like that - try out a little bit distortion, bit filter, and an EQ "on telephone". Know what i mean?
    Last edited by cottton; March 29th, 2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: i forgot ....

In Program Files\Teamspeak 3 Client\Plugins\WalkieTalkie there are 4 sounds for plugin clicks. You can change them yourself with your sounds. Just rename your sounds and overwrite the ones there.

x64 build with debug symbols for you. Attached.

WalkieTalkie.zip

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    In Program Files\Teamspeak 3 Client\Plugins\WalkieTalkie there are 4 sounds for plugin clicks. You can change them yourself with your sounds. Just rename your sounds and overwrite the ones there.
    Like i said, if you want you can use my sounds. Just sayin.

And by the way - how it works, what you need to create a plugin for TS3?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaynus View Post
    x64 build with debug symbols for you. Attached.
    hehe, thanks Janus still need some tunning.....if we manage to make sound it like real feel free to use it.

cotton: I used Visual Studio 2008, C language, fmod libraries; If you have some C knowledge you can give a try, I can explain what is needed for tunning. That's the tricky part, the more we try the more chances to make it sound closest to real.

Here is the distortion code in the last version, looks like the High Pass filter adds a very good "nosey" effect. Still the distortion becomes a bit too strong... So its all about adding filters, seting volumes, filter's order etc..... It's more like a matter of luck I guess....

Code:
    // main channel distortion plus tremolo voices
    CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_System_CreateDSPByType(playbackSystem, FMOD_DSP_TYPE_HIGHPASS, &userData->dsp1); );
    CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_DSP_SetParameter(userData->dsp1, FMOD_DSP_HIGHPASS_CUTOFF, (float) 720); );
    CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_DSP_SetParameter(userData->dsp1, FMOD_DSP_HIGHPASS_RESONANCE, (float) 2.7); );
    CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_DSP_SetBypass(userData->dsp1, 0); );
    CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_Channel_AddDSP(userData->channel, userData->dsp1, 0); );

CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_System_CreateDSPByType(playbackSystem, FMOD_DSP_TYPE_DISTORTION, &userData->dsp2); );
    CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_DSP_SetParameter(userData->dsp2, FMOD_DSP_DISTORTION_LEVEL, (float) 0.995); );
    CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_DSP_SetBypass(userData->dsp2, 0); );
    CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_Channel_AddDSP(userData->channel, userData->dsp2, 0); );

// noise on secondary channel
    CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_System_CreateDSPByType(playbackSystem, FMOD_DSP_TYPE_OSCILLATOR, &userData->dsp3); );
    CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_DSP_SetParameter(userData->dsp3, FMOD_DSP_OSCILLATOR_TYPE, (float) 50); );
    CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_DSP_SetParameter(userData->dsp3, FMOD_DSP_OSCILLATOR_RATE, (float) 9001); );
    CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_DSP_SetBypass(userData->dsp3, 0); );
    CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_System_PlayDSP(playbackSystem, FMOD_CHANNEL_FREE, userData->dsp3, 0, &userData->noiseChannel); );

CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_System_CreateDSPByType(playbackSystem, FMOD_DSP_TYPE_DISTORTION, &userData->dsp4); );
    CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_DSP_SetParameter(userData->dsp4, FMOD_DSP_DISTORTION_LEVEL, (float) 1); );
    CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_DSP_SetBypass(userData->dsp4, 0); );
    CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_Channel_AddDSP(userData->noiseChannel, userData->dsp4, 0); );

CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_System_CreateDSPByType(playbackSystem, FMOD_DSP_TYPE_LOWPASS_SIMPLE, &userData->dsp5); );
    CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_DSP_SetParameter(userData->dsp5, FMOD_DSP_LOWPASS_SIMPLE_CUTOFF, (float) 601); );
    CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_DSP_SetBypass(userData->dsp5, 0); );
    CHECK_FMOD( FMOD_Channel_AddDSP(userData->noiseChannel, userData->dsp5, 0); );

FMOD_System_Update(playbackSystem);

EDIT: Updated the first post with the last version, , WIN64 version plus latest source code available.
    Last edited by cracker; March 29th, 2011 at 09:27 PM.

FYI if your planning on doing any further work, you'll have to use a different filtering library once 3.0.0 final gets released. FMOD go bye bye. For ACRE mine is a collection of DspFilter++ and mdaDSP filters.

Yep, good to know, thanks. I will keep tunning/updating it for a while, since I am also interested in using it. Once a Teamspeak stable version is released I probablly stop the development, if everything is ok.

updated to 1.03 (first post)
    Last edited by florian_fr40; March 29th, 2012 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    updated to 1.03 (first post)
    Any info whats changed in the update ?

I got an Error with 64bit Version -> Plugin konnte nicht geladen werden: Failed to open plugin.

You need to update to the last version of both plugin and Teasmpeak 3 client. The win64 version is not compiled on my computer, it seems that sometimes the plugin fail to open, I suspect it is the update you should make (working on this).

The last version contains some tunning reducing the background noise, too many people claimed is a bit too loud. I will put an unpdate log in package starting with the next version. Untill then, any feedback is very welcome Thanks.

Both, Client and Plugin are up to date. The dll File is much smaller than the 32bit version... is this right?

Thread Information