Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Whisper: What is "Reply Hotkey" used for?

I tried to find it out through forum search and also looked for documentation but either it's not there or I missed it ... and I don't see the use of this intuitively or through experimentation.

Whispering works fine for me - but I have not set "Reply Hotkey" ... and I wonder what that would be used for. Any ideas/explanations?

This key is used to reply to any user whisper ..
    This is useful if you reply to someone you don't have a preset key.

Ah, okay ... so, maybe this already got changed in the RCs (I'm still on beta36) but shouldn't the "Reply Hotkey" then be a setting "above" the whisper lists?

Or is there an actual use case for having different reply hotkeys for different Whisper Lists? I think it still makes sense to keep it on the Whisper Lists screen, though (because that's really where I'd look for it).

You can use this key always for reply the last whisper.

I'm not sure I'm really fully getting this, yet, sorry - and thanks for explaining this ... so ... when I have two Whisper Lists, one with Reply Hotkey "A" and the other with Reply Hotkey "B". Someone who's not on any of my lists whispers me; I press "A" - and should reply-whisper, right? I press "B" - and should also reply-whisper, shouldn't I? And the way I understand it, when that person is on one of my whisper lists, for replying, it wouldn't make a difference, I'd still press either A or B.

So, as far as I can see, there wouldn't be much use in having two different Reply Hotkeys in different lists (except for if you maybe want to assign multiple hotkeys for some reason ... but they wouldn't really be related to the lists).

Well, Reply Hotkey is unique, if you change it, changes for all list.

Quote Originally Posted by jashan View Post
    I'm not sure I'm really fully getting this, yet, sorry - and thanks for explaining this ... so ... when I have two Whisper Lists, one with Reply Hotkey "A" and the other with Reply Hotkey "B". Someone who's not on any of my lists whispers me; I press "A" - and should reply-whisper, right? I press "B" - and should also reply-whisper, shouldn't I? And the way I understand it, when that person is on one of my whisper lists, for replying, it wouldn't make a difference, I'd still press either A or B.

So, as far as I can see, there wouldn't be much use in having two different Reply Hotkeys in different lists (except for if you maybe want to assign multiple hotkeys for some reason ... but they wouldn't really be related to the lists).
    Mostly correct. Please note that it whispers the last person that whispered you. It does not matter whether they are on your list or not. And given your example, if someone on list 'A' whispers you, you do not have to hit 'A' to whisper them back, you can use 'b' as well

The Whisper History Reply has no association with what is on the whisper list at all. I believe it is there for ease of access and because that's where people would probably expect to find it. I myself have a whisperlist just for the whisper history reply key.

There are cases where people would want more then one key assigned to the same function (in this case, whisper history reply). If you play one game that uses the hotkey A, but not B, then you might want to use B to reply to history and not A. Then the same user switches game and now hotkey B is used for an in-game action so the user may use A to whisper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi View Post
    Well, Reply Hotkey is unique, if you change it, changes for all list.
    Ah, ok - that solves it. Thank you!

Thread Information