Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Ability to run multiple Virtual Servers different IPs/Hostnames with the same port

Hi,

there is one point in the design of the TeamSpeak 3-Server that really bothers me. I know that this would be a major change and will most likely require to rewrite the whole network stack but I would really appreciate if you consider it. And after reading some of the threads in this forum I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.

1. The TeamSpeak 3-Server is not able to listen on multiple IP addresses, therefore it's not possible to run multiple virtual servers on different hostnames.

Imagine you've got just one server (hardware) with two IP addresses one TS3 daemon running on it but you need a second (virtual) server and don't want to change the default port. This is simply not possible without running a second daemon.

I think it's a bad behaviour to tell the IP addresse of a server to other persons you want to invite to your server. It's even simpler to give a domain name (if you got one). So if it would be possible to bind the virtual servers within one daemon to different IP addresses it would also be possible to use subdomains for the different virtual servers. For example ts1.domain.com, ts2.domain.com and so on.

2. Another nice feature, maybe in addition to the ability to bind to multiple IP addresses, would be to select the correct virtual server by hostname. This would make it possible to run just one daemon with multiple virtual servers, each with it's own hostname/subdomain, on just one IP.

These features would be a real advantage. I would really appreciate it if you would implement these features or at least one of it.

Best regards,
    wyldphyre

Hello

You have the TSDNS server for that (currently only RC1 pre-release version).
    Be patient for a release.

About same virtual server port on different Teamspeak instance, that not depend of Teamspeak.
    You can't open a port 2 times on a same machine.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by florian_fr40; April 29th, 2011 at 08:34 AM.

Multiple virtual servers on the same port would be possible if the daemon would accept all packets on one port and just route it to the correct virtual server by using the hostname. That's what i meant by "rewrite the whole network stack". This is just a major flaw in the protocol implementation.
    I was thinking of something like virtual hosts in web servers.

I thought you could open port a on adapter 1 for one app then on adapter 2 open port a again for a different app. Maybe wrong as I've never tried.

In any case, the upcoming TSDNS feature mentioned will work and remove the need to provide port numbers to users, even if it is 1337.

The TSDNS looks good. That will solve some of my problems.

But what I originally thought of was a vhost-like implementation like every webserver got. One port for the daemon, and the daemon decides, based on the hostname, which vserver to use. Without need to use multiple ports and delegate the packets through a special DNS service.

@Screech: That would work, but it is not possible to bind the virtual server to another address. You can only bind the whole daemon to an address. And that includes all virtual servers running within this daemon. so If you want to run servers on different IPs you have to run a second daemon (or fiddle your firewall routing).

Quote Originally Posted by wyldphyre View Post
    @Screech: That would work, but it is not possible to bind the virtual server to another address. You can only bind the whole daemon to an address. And that includes all virtual servers running within this daemon. so If you want to run servers on different IPs you have to run a second daemon (or fiddle your firewall routing).
    I understand that one instance of TS3 server (daemon as you call it) can only bind to 1 or all adapters on the PC. IIRC, if you leave the bind IP as 0.0.0.0 it will bind to all adapters. Once TSDNS is available to the public you can run one server instance bound to IP 0.0.0.0 and then in the tsdns_settings.ini have some server addresses use one IP and other server addresses use the other IP. Just remember that anyone using an old address:port bookmark or link will use the *=<ip>:$PORT entry and be on that IP, even though you may want that server using the other IP.
    Last edited by Screech; April 29th, 2011 at 07:35 PM.

Question One Machine/Multiple IP's / Connectivity Failure

Okay I've got this problem,

Currently we have 2 virtual servers running under one daemon using ports
    9987/1337/1338. We have one main machine (hardware) with multiple IP addresses (5) but once we enable the IP's, some clients are unable to connect and report connectivity issues.

When we enable the additional IP addresses to run on our server, some clients are unable to resolve the hostname/ip and fail to connect, while others have no problems.

The ports have been properly binded in each virtual server instance but we're unable to resulve this connectivity issue once the additional IP's are enabled. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thread Information