Forum

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by olewales View Post
    Please think about switching to this simple, elegant and already tested (SIP, XMPP) solution while its still possible.
    It is already planned to add SRV DNS record support after the 3.0 final as an addition to the TSDNS service. So later, maybe 3.1, you can decide which way you want to use.

But currently you are able to do a DNS A record to the server where the TSDNS service is running and add this TSDNS address there.
    Example: you have the domain example.com which points to a website (including the www subdomain).
    Add a DNS A record for ts3.example.com to a TSDNS server. Now you can add ts3.example.com to the TSDNS service which points to the TS3 server and port.

It's all about shared servers. Lets say i have a domain example.com which points to a shared hosting server. I can't run TSDNS there for obvious reasons. I also have ts3.example.com subdomain pointing to unix server with one public ip shared between few users. Even if nobody is running tsdns already and port is free (which is unlikely), i really shouldn't run it there for reason i gave previously. It is simply not possible to use TSDNS in this case. With SRV record support i could easily add a record on example.com (which I fully control) and run ts3 anywhere without additional deamons running.
    Btw: It should be also possible do add few SRV records with corresponding priorities. It would be simple way to provide backup if main server goes down.

Count me for SRV records (in case that matters)
    I already expressed my opinion on tsdns in another thread (sorry, i overlooked this one) and basically i agree with chibisuke. It's pointless.
    Last edited by florian_fr40; September 26th, 2011 at 06:09 PM.

@ olewales: Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against adding SRV DNS support in TS3, I like that idea too .

I just provided an alternative solution for your situation which already works now with TSDNS (DNS A to a TSDNS service and add the address to the TSDNS service). You just need someone running this TSDNS service for you (I already know one public TSDNS service where you can use your own domain address using DNS A entry).

Hello everyone.

I would strongly recommend you to switch to SRV records instead of the proprietary TCP/IP interface.

I really wonder why you are reinventing a "DNS"-service instead of just _using_ existing DNS features.

I think the intention behind this custom service was, that if you _own_ a TS3 server, you can easily enable the feature and essentially manage your ip/port combinations in your own TS3 server interface. I understand that this is a little easier for administrators of TS3 servers.

But this is really the ONLY advantage of this whole approach.

Lets assume you rent a server and want your existing domain point there. You do not run the server yourself. You only have the nameserver of your domain provider, and a rented TS3 server.

Nothing would be easier as just add a SRV record to your nameserver, and be happy.

I mean ofcourse, I can use a service like ts3dns.com, and then add a CNAME to my nameserver to point to subdomain.ts3dns.com, and live with it. But really: What is easier? To add a CNAME, plus subscribe to that external service (wich is essentially an additional point of failure), or just add a SRV record?

Another problem with this feature is, that is not well documented. Ofcourse if I inspect the TCP packets I see that I have to send the domain name and then get a ip/port or 404. But if I want to run this on an external server I have to implement this service myself. Using BIND, with all the advantages of DNS (secondary DNS servers, caching, distibution, fail-safe-ness, ...) would be _way_ easier.

Also another issue: I cannot use my second level domain because I have to point a 3rd level CNAME entry to the external service. This external host (better: dns entity) has now full authoritive control over this zone. So I cannot run other services on this 3rd level either.

Please use internet standards wherever they are suitable! Thats what standards are meant for.
    Last edited by Nappyz; June 22nd, 2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Nappyz View Post
    But this is really the ONLY advantage of this whole approach.
    ... and it's exactly what we wanted to achieve with TSDNS.

Listen guys, the devs already stated that SRV records are on their TODO list... but not instead of TSDNS. TeamSpeak 3 will support both systems and people will be free to decide the setup they prefer. There's no need to discuss the advantages of SRV records...

If you call it TSDNS, the DNS in it tells me, that you also want to achieve it to be like the real DNS, which is not the case, because its not a distributed, redundant system RFC 1035 (chapter 2.1) at all.

But anyway, I am glad to hear that devs are planning to implement the standard way also.
    Last edited by Nappyz; June 22nd, 2011 at 05:43 PM.

I just hope that real dns will have priority over tsdns for reasons given above.

I would also suggest to resolve the SRV record first, then TSDNS, then default port.

I also want to add, that a TS3 server administrator, who is running multiple instances, should be able to configure a DNS nameserver. To be fair: Some hosters do not allow to add SRV records in their webguis (sadly).

As an administrator which administrates 3 roots (with ts3) and a third ts3 i like the TSDNS feature: one edit (without the normal dns time delay) and the user are connecting to another ts3.

ps: i can also edit the dns entrys from (only) 2 of them ... but i have to wait that all dns servers are up to date!)

sure, because tsdns isnt distibuted, nor uses any sort of caching. I think your point is valid, but please look at the drawbacks also.

Exclamation

I've come here having seen TSDNS mentioned on serverfault.com.

Part of my day job is writing RFCs. You guys really, really need to implement SRV as soon as possible. Inventing your own homebrew protocols for stuff like this is a road to hell.

In particular your use of the three most significant domain name suffixes used to attempt to connect to the TSDNS port is a massive abuse of the DNS and the internet and is incredibly poor protocol engineering.

In many circumstances A records do exist for the second level and top level domains and as a result those hosts will be receiving unsolicited connection attempts on the TSDNS port. THIS IS BAD!!
    Last edited by alnitak; September 8th, 2011 at 12:31 PM.

Eagerly awaiting SRV records support with TeamSpeak 3.

You got my hopes up when I got the email, I thought for a second that the number was a patch because it was a link on my iPhone. Only to find it was something that the iPhone thought was a phone number.

Anyway. SRV support. It's a really good thing. You guys should do it.

So Lets be honest here, What is the time scale for the SRV support for TS3? Because resources are limited with a VPS and do not come magically out of thin air. I've already got two DNS servers configured and working as they should. Here I was thinking a simple SRV record and bam, my second TeamSpeak server instance is now linked to a domain I can give people.

You honestly don't want to know the amount of people who simply don't use TS3 because of the need to do IP/DOMAIN:PORT when not on a default port. And looking into TSDNS, in the trials I've run it consumes more resources than I'd care to throw at it because a DNS server is already running. In addition TSDNS is in no way redundant out of the box. I run something, I want it stable and redundant for when it does go offline due to (insert what ever reason here).

Any update on this? TS3 is now out of beta, and such a feature would literally take on the order of minutes to implement, and if no DNS SRV record is found, searching TSDNS/etc after causes no degradation in prior functionality.

Thread Information