Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    There is a ticket (TS-644) for that in our list.
    And the current plan says, we add this feature with 3.0.4 . But it does not mean, that it can't get delayed.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

i made a post about the tsdns and after reading this one i was wondering.

so if you add the srv/txt suport, then what? you will be able to set the ip/port at your domain holder?
    if that is the case, here is something i think is relevant:
    -some domain holders have cheap plans with limited number of records that you can add to your domain
    -in case you have a redundant system, if one machine fails, doesn't you need to change the ip from the domain record at your domain holder? in that case you will have a problem, for most ppl the dns gets cached and when some domain changes his ip it might take some time until you get the new one.

so i think the tsdns is a great idea, i just think we should have a different approach.

btw i don't see tsdns eating my vps resources, even when i was running my whole server under a vps with 200mb ram, it wasn't a problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    There is a ticket (TS-644) for that in our list.
    And the current plan says, we add this feature with 3.0.4 . But it does not mean, that it can't get delayed.
    <3 <3 <3

Quote Originally Posted by loest View Post
    so i think the tsdns is a great idea, i just think we should have a different approach.
    I no not believe TS will not remove tsdns support when support for SRV records are added. I'm guessing the behaviour will be similar to when TSDNS is not found it falls back to just using the IP address that the hostname points to.

The main use case for TSDNS is for automagic configuration of host names where a single TS3 server hosts multiple instances (ie, for a TS3 provider, etc) - not for redundancy, and usually the TSDNS server would reside on the same host as all the TS3 servers that it services.

For redundancy with TSDNS, I believe it is currently achievable (although I haven't looked into it much, so your mileage may vary) by setting say multiple A records to multiple machines, and on each of them running TSDNS on it with synchronised data (although I think one would have to manually sync the data as there is no way I am aware of to sync it automatically, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) to achieve redundancy - on the other hand, DNS is already rather redundant, so by using SRV records you gain this for free, as well as the ability to have fallback and load balancing options.

Assuming the fallback methods mentioned above, there is no reason not to implement SRV records - if you have suggestions on changes to how TSDNS works, you're probably best off creating another thread for it.
    Last edited by Neo-Vortex; December 7th, 2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Clarification

yeah well you can get some redundancy if you use like, ts1.ts2.ts3.mydomail.com to connect, them it will try to connect too all of them if some fails. but that is just not usable :P.

but hmm i don't think you can set more than one ip for a cname record, in that case you would need to have a priority for each of them, like we have at mx records. which is basic my whole idea, make the tsdns use cname records as if they were mx ones. so the client can check for more than one ip in case it fails.

in my opinion i think tsdns should check only some subdomains for ips, so you set at your domain 3 records, like
    ts1.mydomain.com
    ts2.mydomain.com
    ts3.mydomain.com
    each one can point to any ip, where there will be a tsdns server running, and after that the tsdns checks for the clan-name.mydomain.com, on the domain.

And the current plan says, we add this feature with 3.0.4 ....
    If I remember correctly, there won't be a 3.0.4 release...

Quote Originally Posted by ScP View Post
    If I remember correctly, there won't be a 3.0.4 release...

Opinions and plans can change and the current plan says it'sa 3.0.4 feature.
    We use the client version in our system, even when server version will be 3.0.2 or 3.0.3.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

Just wanted to say thank you for your work on supporting SRV records, I can't wait! And dante696, I love you man, I just don't have any teddy bear pictures to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Dygear View Post
    Just wanted to say thank you for your work on supporting SRV records, I can't wait! And dante696, I love you man, I just don't have any teddy bear pictures to share.
    be more careful, for bears - ban

Amazon Route 53
    WRR + TTL=0

DNS SRV records support

This was asked many times in various threads and I decided to create a dedicated feature request thread for it.

A lot of real system administrators need a proper way to set up virtualhosting. And support for DNS SRV records is a solution. All you need is to query _ts3server._udp.example.com (i.e. host -t srv _ts3server._udp.arts.bsrealm.net) and if the record exists, use information from it. If record does not exist, proceed with TSDNS method. This should be really easy to support since it's just an additional dns query on a client side, no server side modifications needed.

It's already on the TODO as per http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...TXT-SRV-Record

Still waiting on that one myself personally too.

Unhappy

And the current plan says, we add this feature with 3.0.4 .
    Client 3.0.4 was skipped and was never official released
    This is just so sad... (and looks like ScP was right..)
    So, what version does the plan (for ticket TS-644) say now? 3.0.6? 3.0.7? (... 3.99.999? xD)

And, can I bribe you guys with bacon?

Thought about the same when read that notice about 3.0.4..

Was my full answer to this feature.

All ticket get moved into the next client release automatically, when a ticket wasn't touched
    It's still on our todo and currently as 3.0.6 > My answer stays the same. It can get deleayed.

How much longer are you going to delay a request that only requires 2-3 lines of code and max 15 minutes of work? 3.0.6 is out on beta channel and still doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_lmd View Post
    How much longer are you going to delay a request that only requires 2-3 lines of code and max 15 minutes of work? 3.0.6 is out on beta channel and still doesn't have it.
    Now now, it hasn't even been a year yet since it was added to the TODO! 2-3 lines of code most likely require massive testing to ensure it won't make things explode. (Anyway it's probably more like a dozen odd when you consider proper formatting, a single if statement with one line of code in it is 4 lines if you have opening braces on their own lines for example - 2-3 lines of real code perhaps, but a dozen considering formatting like braces and whitespace...)

Thread Information