Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

[Pulseaudio-backend] Tagged audio-streams, option for deactivating

In Reference to my Bugpost, i'Ve identified the Problem.

The audio-stream, which is send to pulseaudio is tagged with somehing like "voice", so all streams with tags like "music" or something like that, will become muted when running (when teamspeak connects to the first server and initializes the audio-streams) or starting (while the audio-streams of teamspeak exists)

Ubuntu, and maybe other distributions, have patched this behaviour out of pulseaudio, so it does not appear on every distribution. To solve this problem for all Linux-teamspeak-user, add a configuration-option to deactivate this tagging, so music-streams will not become muted.

A way to test this on ubuntu, activate pulseaudio-module "cork-music-on-phone"
    Add or decomment the line "load-module module-cork-music-on-phone" to /etc/pulse/default.pa and restart pulseaudio.
    Last edited by Master_D; May 8th, 2011 at 06:50 AM.

Any news on this? It's pretty annoying to unmute some applications every time I start the client.

TeamSpeak does tag the sound stream as voice but this is just using pulse audio capabilities.
    This will not be changed.

OK, in case we got a little misunderstanding here, I'll try to give more details:

Tagging the sound stream as voice is OK (I don't see the advantage, but I guess there is some), but it would be great to let the user decide wheter it should be tagged or not (with an option in the settings dialog for example).

Currently this is my procedure of using TeamSpeak:
    Start the TeamSpeak 3 client -> Banshee (the music player) will be muted -> start pavucontrol -> unmute Banshee -> now I can use TeamSpeak and Banshee at the same time.

As I said above, I don't see the advantage of tagging streams, but if the only consequence I get (or see) is, that TeamSpeak effects other applications (I know, it's not directly), I don't like this feature.

I can't find any configuration option in pulseaudio, so I guess recompiling from source is the only option to "fix" this in pulseaudio, but that could be a little bit difficult for some people.

From a logical point of view, the music player should only be muted when there actually is an audio stream from TeamSpeak and resume once the talking stops, that way this feature of pulse audio would make perfect sense and could even be desirable (still should be able to be turned off though).

What might be the problem here is that pulse audio does not ignore silent audio data and thinks there is something going on when in reality there isn't, which should probably be declared a pulse audio bug rather than anything else.

OK, sounds logical.

I'll see if I file a bug at pulseaudio.

In the meantime, I found the configuration option in pulseaudio:
    simply comment out "load-module module-role-cork" in /etc/pulse/default.pa.

In another forum the module is called "module-cork-music-on-phone".

Thread Information