Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

Hotkey Request: Priority Speaker

So, I use TS3 to play EVE Online and frequently command fleets of 200+ people in one channel. Sometimes it's nice to chill in a channel even though I'm commanding the Fleet and not talk over anyone - sometimes what I have to say is urgent.

I'd like the ability to toggle Priority Speaker via hotkey. As far as I can tell, it's not an option right now. You have to access it through the right-click menu, which is cumbersome and slow. Not that it's bad - there are times that I leave Priority Speaker on for long periods of time, but sometimes I just want it accessible but not on 24/7.

If this is already done and I just missed it, please let me know

Also, fixing the "auto-scrolling" of the window would be nice - IE: if you select yourself via highlight, the window will stay fixed on you regardless of how many people join/leave any channel on the server. Right now, depending on how many people are in which channels, the window has a tendency to "auto-scroll" around to where you have to search for yourself and/or others by re-scrolling frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by blitz933 View Post
    So, I use TS3 to play EVE Online and frequently command fleets of 200+ people in one channel. Sometimes it's nice to chill in a channel even though I'm commanding the Fleet and not talk over anyone - sometimes what I have to say is urgent.

I'd like the ability to toggle Priority Speaker via hotkey. As far as I can tell, it's not an option right now. You have to access it through the right-click menu, which is cumbersome and slow. Not that it's bad - there are times that I leave Priority Speaker on for long periods of time, but sometimes I just want it accessible but not on 24/7.

If this is already done and I just missed it, please let me know

Also, fixing the "auto-scrolling" of the window would be nice - IE: if you select yourself via highlight, the window will stay fixed on you regardless of how many people join/leave any channel on the server. Right now, depending on how many people are in which channels, the window has a tendency to "auto-scroll" around to where you have to search for yourself and/or others by re-scrolling frequently.

Bump this; I want hotkey for priority speaker too

We won't add a hotkey for this. Either you are important and should always be heard or not.

Are you sure you won't add it, I mean I can see your point slightly but there are still plenty of times that people are switching in and out of the leader role in <insertgamenamehere> where it would be useful. Also sometime people want to half of the time make jokes and only at one or two times say important things and announcements.

It would be extremely useful for this function to be added in more than one situation, I know this issue has already been rejected but it would be great for it to be reconsidered. Please do add it if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by SentinelX101 View Post
    Are you sure you won't add it, I mean I can see your point slightly but there are still plenty of times that people are switching in and out of the leader role in <insertgamenamehere> where it would be useful. Also sometime people want to half of the time make jokes and only at one or two times say important things and announcements.

It would be extremely useful for this function to be added in more than one situation, I know this issue has already been rejected but it would be great for it to be reconsidered. Please do add it if you can.
    I agree completely.
    Things of this nature are not black and white, and thus why would the solution be?

I dont know who the original target customer was for Teamspeak is/was, but I do recall Teamspeak at Gamescom advertising the product for gamers.

One thing we need as gamers is flexibility.
    And heck, when are options a bad thing? - You dont need it, don't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by coden1ke View Post
    I agree completely.
    Me too!

Example Situation: During a boss fight in <insertgamenamehere>, I have to make an important announcement to the channel for a few seconds, but the rest of the time my teammates are annoyed by being dimmed down every time I make a noise.

I believe that this feature would be a real enrichment for the gaming community and I appeal for this to be re-evaluated.

You can add this feature using my CrossTalk plugin.

Hotkeys -> Show Advanced -> Plugins -> Plugin Hotkey -> CrossTalk -> Toggle Priority Speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Philosound View Post
    You can add this feature using my CrossTalk plugin.

Hotkeys -> Show Advanced -> Plugins -> Plugin Hotkey -> CrossTalk -> Toggle Priority Speaker.
    I love you man! #nohomo

But it's a shame that the devs don't see the usefulness of this feature.
    Last edited by Exceff; December 18th, 2014 at 12:41 AM.

Social issues can not be solved by technical means.
    You can sort this problem by establishing rules of communication.
    I.e. http://www.agony-unleashed.com/wiki/...cations_in_PvP

The utility of prioritizing someones communication is already there, it was merely requested to make it accessible by other means, not requiring to leave full screen.
    Your argument attacks the very functionality itself, and with it stuff like moderation, so let's remove all that shall we and with it the permission system. Folks that don't trust each other obviously also have social issues to solve!

There's no such thing as an "important" entity, importance is a relationship description, in those cases to an event. Events take place in the time domain, otherwise there wouldn't be an extra option in the context menu for toggling PS at all and could live in permission setups. It makes sense there, and as a hotkey it's suddenly the request of some crazy folks?
    If a utility allows a less restricted communication, I don't see any reason not to use it and rather solely rely on human behaviour. However, it's hardly to be argued that simultaneous attempts to talk can happen no matter what. Someone may be saying sth. that's not stupid chatter and nonethelss a leader may need to talk over that. A leader might start talking simoultaneously to someone else. That's why things like PS got developed in the first place.
    I also don't see any reason to make it less accessible than people feel comfortable with.
    That's punishment for zero gain. The client doesn't get bloated by this:
    I highly doubt the hotkey functionality of switching ones soundpack is a less rare event to be used.

Providing this functionality has cost me about 5 minutes and a dozen or so lines of code, the request has thereby be fulfilled by a third party.
    No need to imply social issues in a usability request that's already been solved without years of drama.
    Last edited by Philosound; December 19th, 2014 at 12:23 AM.

Thread Information