In my Windows 7 install, I run the current Teamspeak 3 client, which I use on the system described in detail at the end of this post.

Lately I have had a very annoying problem, wherein the microphone becomes completely unusable, seemingly at random. I'll test the microphone right after starting up, and it works fine. But several minutes or hours later, when I join a TS3 server and try to talk to people, they tell me that my voice is heavily distorted.

Listening to myself in the TS3 voice activation test, or just by using the "Recording Devices" applet of Windows 7, I can hear what they mean. My voice sounds echoey, distorted, sort as if I were speaking underwater. It doesn't stop. The only thing that "fixes" the problem is rebooting (temporary), or restarting in Ubuntu (see below).

For the sake of discussion, let's assume:

-I have the latest drivers for my sound card (SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS).
-Windows 7 itself is fully updated.

because those things are true.

WTF is going on here? This is really driving me batty. Gaming is about the only thing I still use Windows for, so it's frustrating to not even be able to do that.

(Meanwhile, I have absolutely no problems with the microphone when running the Linux TS3 client in Ubuntu. Since it's the same hardware, I'm pretty sure the trouble in Windows 7 isn't hardware-related.)

Promised system specs:
ASUS P5E3 WS Pro motherboard
4 GB DDR3 1333 MHz (PC 10666) RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 CPU
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX+ video card
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card
Altec-Lansing VS4221 speaker set w/Plantronics headset
Logitech MX310 mouse, Saitek Eclipse II keyboard
Various and sundry SATA hard drives