Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ToDo List 3D Positional Sound broken in 3.0.0 - 3.0.5

Description:
    In the latest 3.0.0 final, a change was made where 3d positional sound is always sent in 5.1, regardless of sound card settings. This causes anyone in Stereo to completely lack 3d positional audio.

Headphones which do not have 5.1 (For instance, my logitech only has Stereo and Mono), have absolutely 0 3d sound now. Setting 3d positions basically has no effect, and sounds always stay centered. This should be changed to stereo mix appropriately for stereo sound card setups.

Repro Steps:
    Use a pair of headphones, change their configuration to Stereo in windows, then try to position another speaker in 3d. They will not move.

References:
    http://forum.teamspeak.com/showthrea...875#post290875

This post states that it will use different settings depending on OS and sound settings. Apparently it does, but not for stereo.

EDIT: Currently from testing we have the following results:
    Stereo: Broken
    5.1: Works
    7.1: Works

So title may need to be changed to "3D Positional Sound broken in Stereo Sound". Although, thats a good chunk of headsets
    Last edited by jaynus; August 11th, 2011 at 07:25 PM.

AN update to this. It seems "some" 5.1 setups are also broken. A player with 5.1 headphones and using 5.1 works fine, but another play with 5.1 X-Fi card needed to change it to 2.1 to work correctly.

Stereo is still completely broken. So this comes down to:

Stereo: Broken
    2.1: Works
    5.1: Usually Works
    7.1: Works

Our temporary fix to this, since there was no feedback, was to re-mix stereo sound on our own in ts3plugin_onEditPostProcessVoiceDataEvent
    http://www.pastie.org/private/mtbipv9ob6sgwdmxmvopg

We then allow TS3 to perform mixing for 5.1 etc setups. However, now we have ran into people who's 5.1 setups also do not work, and they must change to 2.1 for 3d sound to work correctly.

There is already a hotfix for this issue in the Beta Channel, and it would be nice if you could test it to give us some feedback

Just update the update.ini in the TeamSpeak 3 Client install folder to the following and i think your problem will be gone

Code:
    [Channel]
    beta=true
    Last edited by MuhChy; August 16th, 2011 at 10:25 AM.

I'll have a few of my players update and test.

We've already coded a work around, moving away from allowing TS3 from doing any 3d mixing; we do it ourselves instead now. But I'll make sure to have them test and give you feedback regardless to make sure its fixed for other things.

This issue is still present in the current version and beta.

It is a problem for plugins I am involved in developing.

ThX for your report Browning, i just added your issue in our Bugtracker.

Internal TicketID: TS-752

An update:

The nature of this bug has changes a little in 3.0.2
    There is now some positional sound changes with stereo on, but it is erratic and does not properly correlate to the sounds position.

The feature still works as it should when 5.1 sound is on.

This has made the problem a little worse in 3.0.2
    Last edited by Browning; November 11th, 2011 at 08:24 PM.

Jaynus, are you jayarma2lib-jaynus ?? I got a problem with your plugin. When i use voice activation on TS, it's broken. I used VA all the time, cause i don't wanna bind a key for stock talking and one for radio..with new version of your addon and new TS , its broken

The issue its still there(3.0.2)... some sound cards/usb headphones don't position the 3D audio when configured at 5.1 or 7.1 you must change it to stereo to make them work . It worked all well on rc2 :S , how could rc2 work better than final release?

We try to release a new beta version this day and it includes a fix for Headsets in stereo mode.
    Note: This will only work, when Windows detects your playback device as an Headset.

There is a know problem, when your device was not recognized as an Headphone on Realtek HD soundcard.
    One of the speaker sounds like it is off, when you move some users to special positions.
    Fix: Please enable Virtualization for headsets on your Realtek HD Manager.

We cant solve it on uor own yet, we take what windows sends to us and this only works, when it got recognized as an Headset.

Get the Beta here

Please leave some feedback for our developer

update
    Currently this only work for USB Headsets with Stereo Speakers. On most Audio cards it does not get detected as a Headset/Headphone.

We have an report, where soudn could not be heared on XP, we try to fix that problem :-(

update 2
    We fixed the problem on XP, but a new beta release is needed. This won't be released the next days.
    Last edited by dante696; April 5th, 2012 at 02:13 PM.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    We try to release a new beta version this day and it includes a fix for Headsets in stereo mode.
    Note: This will only work, when Windows detects your playback device as an Headset.

There is a know problem, when your device was not recognized as an Headphone on Realtek HD soundcard.
    One of the speaker sounds like it is off, when you move some users to special positions.
    Fix: Please enable Virtualization for headsets on your Realtek HD Manager.

We cant solve it on uor own yet, we take what windows sends to us and this only works, when it got recognized as an Headset.

Get the Beta here

Please leave some feedback for our developer
    When can we expect better handling of 5.1/7.1 headsets? We currently do our own stereo mixing for 3D sound in ACRE (which works really well, I hope this doesn't break that...) but there seems to be problems with TS3's ability to communicate to the headset devices.

This fix is for Stereo Headsets only! The whole thread is about that :-/ and i already said i don't have any problems with 3D sound.
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Quote Originally Posted by NouberNou View Post
    When can we expect better handling of 5.1/7.1 headsets? We currently do our own stereo mixing for 3D sound in ACRE (which works really well, I hope this doesn't break that...) but there seems to be problems with TS3's ability to communicate to the headset devices.
    Just use 2 channel mode. Sounds the same on headphones when properly down-mixed. 5.1/7.1 is a waste if you can't turn you head a little and really isolate the direction. As mentioned before, you have 2 ears, if you fix the sound stage orientation to your head (headset) it moves with you so more than 2 channels is worthless.

OK you go tell all the users of ACRE that Screech.

The problem is that a good chunk of my user base likes to use 5.1/7.1 headsets, especially with Arma 2. If they set it to stereo mode they lose the "surround" effects in the game as well, since there is no way to force TS to be stereo out, while the game continues to use 5.1/7.1.

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    The whole thread is about that :-/
    No, the second post by Jaynus clearly states that there are bugs in some 5.1 implementations. Creative X-Fi has very random performance with TS3. Users seem to magically move around in 3D space when people enter or leave a channel.

Even though we do all our own custom mixing now for 5.1/7.1 when ACRE is active, 3D surround sound seems to be affected by the "Always set clients 3D position when available" option in the playback settings. This doesn't seem to be the case with the Logitech G35/G930 "virtual" surround headsets, even though they are being fed the same surround data.

Also clients muting and unmuting, disabling or enabling speakers, or a number of other events tends to break surround sound on the X-Fi.

Also on a pair of G930 headphones with the "Always set clients 3D position when available" option enabled it is impossible to center clients in a channel (this is with out ACRE running any processing on audio data). Clicking "Center All" in the 3D positions window for a channel tends to put the speakers hard left or hard right, even though their 3D position is 0,0,0.

On top of all of this, in Direct Sound mode in playback settings surround sound devices are never recognized as anything more than stereo headsets even though windows is set to 5.1/7.1 mode. I am not sure if that is a windows issue, but it seems consistent across multiple computers. Not to mention there are a number of incredibly odd Direct Sound bugs in TS3 (like the sample data in the playback events in the SDK being corrupted).

Also I am able to create some sort of memory corruption in TS3 by feeding surround sound data with the LF sound being redirected to the LFE channel in a 5.1/7.1 setup. That might be an X3DAudio issue though, I am not sure.

So yea, there are a number of compatibility issues with surround sound in Teamspeak still. It is very unstable.

Thread Information