Forum

Question No connection (SDK to SDK) via Internet - LAN works (Linux), Win-Client works, too

Hi,

we were issued a non-profit SDK-license and work with two partners who have non-profit licenses themselves in a research project. One partner hosts a server (windows); one partner connects with windows clients; we want to connect with linux clients.

I started the ts3_server_sample locally on one machine, the ts3_client_sample on another machine and had them connect over our LAN: worked. I wanted to connect to our partner's server (they use the server_sample from the SDK like us): no answer from their server.

So I set up a server myself. If I want to connect over the Internet, though: no connection. Let's have a look at the datails:
    I started the server (server_sample from the SDK on openSuSE Linux 11.x, SDK Version 3.0.0-beta6) on a machine with a public IP. I tried to connect to it using the client (client_sample from the SDK, same Version, same OS v11.4) from our network which is behind a firewall and NATed. So I used port forwarding for the relevant ports to mak sure UDP-packets find their way back to my machine, but I didn't receive anything.
    So I traced the UDP packets and it turned out they were delivered to the correct port at the server machine, but the sample_server didn't answer. If I use exactly the same configuration in our LAN I get an answer from the server.
    Just to make sure NAT is not the reason for my problems I tried with server and client on two different Linux-machines, each with public IP-Adresses and no NAT or firewalls -- to the same effect.

To make things more complicated yet: I borrowed the windows-client from our one partner and tried to connect to their server (from behind our firewall without port forwarding and active NAT): worked like a charm.

So is there anyone who has any idea what I am missing?
    1) Why does a server answer to my client over LAN and if I try to connect to the same server over the internet it doesn't answer?
    2) At startup, the server says: (INFO Accounting) licensed to: my company; type: SDK-Offline - So does the server refuse to answer on purpose? My contact at Triton CA did not tell me anything about such restrictions.
    3) Why can the windows client connect via the internet and all without difficulty while the I can't with Linux? Are our two licenses different and is the software incompatible?

Any help is appreciated a lot! Thanks for reading this right to the end.

Hi,

offline SDKs intentionally live in their own world. Both client and server
    used must come from the same offline licensed SDK. You cannot mix with
    online SDKs, or with other peoples offline licensed SDKs.

Hi Peter,

thank you for your reply. The description of our project I sent to the salesperson at TritonCA stated very clearly that we had to interface with the project partner's server/clients over the web, who in turn applied for licenses. Given that the licensing process with TritonCA took several weeks and a million of ping-pong mails for each of the partners, you would think they could've mentioned the fact that the licenses don't allow interconnection.
    Anyway, now that the damage's done, there's no use crying over spilt milk.
    I guess we can use the libs of one of the partners. So after a test I will mark this thread as solved.

Hi Phoenixx,

I am Director of Sales for TeamSpeak, and ensuring that TeamSpeak USA Inc. (formerly Triton CI & Associates, Inc.) addresses the needs of our customers in a timely *and* accurate manner is very important to me.

I see that you chose not to identify your company name here, nor to contact us directly for sales and licensing support, although we have a pretty good idea who you are. If we are correct in identifying the company you represent, we have every indication and documented email history on our end which shows that the information you provided refers to a private LAN environment, and nowhere in our history was there any mention of "interfacing with project partner's servers/clients over the web". We also have documentation to show that we issued you your Offline SDK license within a few business days (just as we said we would), yet we did not hear back from you in over 4 weeks later, despite at least one additional email on our part to make certain you received everything you asked for in a timely manner.

If you have proof or indication otherwise, I would be happy to hear from you directly. You may contact me directly by creating a ticket in our Business Development department (please address it to my name) via our ticket system at http://support.teamspeakusa.com and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you.

- Florence

Hi Florence,

you are right. This was totally my bad! I should have re-checked our correspondence before writing that post in a moment of frustration. I am very sorry that I didn't. I found the information that stated that we were being issued an offline-license, which I missed. And I would like to add that I enjoyed the contact with your staff at Triton/TeamSpeak, which was indeed fast and (in retrospection) absolutely correct.

No problem Phoenixx. Thanks for the updated comments.

- Florence

So the question is, does the SDK work over the internet out of the box? I can't get it to connect. Only over LAN. Was there an internet key provided with the basic 1VS/32 slot provided? or is it just supported when a key is not found?

Thread Information