Forum

Solved REQUEST: Forced nickname / nickname prefix

Hey everyone,

Here's a thought i wanted to share with you and the developers.

On our server i have seen people taking other peoples nicknames for fun and i have also seen other people complain about this on these forums. Imho this is quite undesirable.

It would be awesome if there would be a client permission where one would be able to force a nickname for the client (and just suffix a number if the client logs on more than once).
    Besides that it could also be nice to have a forced prefix or suffix for users or groups (sorta like a clantag) in a similar manner.

This could be a nice solution for a pretty nasty problem and i think it's quite easy to implement. The reason to implement it this way is so ServerQuery users can also setup forced nicks if they sync teamspeak with a forum or any other external user database.

Your thoughts please!

Prefix & Suffix is already possible. See the i_group_show_name_in_tree Permission in Server & Channelgroups.
    So in order to have a Clantag displayed you would create a Servergroup named after your Clantag and enable said Permission in that Group, then stick all the people in your Clan in that Group and you are done.

Thanks for your reply! I will be playing with that later on. But then people in the same group will still be able to impersonate others, so this request for a forced nickname setting/permission still stands

And it was rejected before you wrote it down :P
    We had such a request and it won't be build in.

But i like SilentStorm's idea, to solve it
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    And it was rejected before you wrote it down :P
    We had such a request and it won't be build in.
    That's really unfortunate... So, how do you guys plan on preventing people from impersonating others? I dont recognize users by their unique id, only by their nicknames. Perhaps you can make it so people can add people to their friend list and set a personal nickname there, so it will take that nick instead of the nick the user connected with?

We do not plan, to stop imposer, because it is not possible to fake someone as long he does not own the UID from that user.
    To your new request: You can set the personal "custom" nick already, please try our contact manager"
    When sending me private messages: Please make sure to include reference link to your forum thread or post.

TeamSpeak FAQ || What should i report, when i open a client thread?

Quote Originally Posted by dante696 View Post
    We do not plan, to stop imposer, because it is not possible to fake someone as long he does not own the UID from that user.
    To your new request: You can set the personal "custom" nick already, please try our contact manager"
    I understand that taking someone's nick doesnt give you his permission etc... But like i said, i do not recognize people by their unique id, only by their nickname. So if a guest connects, takes the nickname of an admin, im sure it would allow social engineering.

It's nice at least that i can prevent this from happening for me locally tho, i can just add all my friends and give them a personal nick.

Giving anyone Permission without talking to them / hearing their Voice is a bad idea anyway, as is giving permissions to any stranger coming around. Most people you can recognize by their voice anyway, so the possibility of this kind of impersonating having any success is quite low.

Two users with the same name

TeamSpeak3

How to keep two users from having the same login name?

Users are not able to have the same Nickname.

If the person name Cat that has an ID, is not login to the server, Someone can login to the server with that name and the server well give them an server ID, and add them to the All clients list. how do I stop this

You cannot. All you could do is ban that Nickname on your Server and give everyone who you want to allow to use one of the reserved Nicknames the permission to ignore bans. However there are several Drawbacks: 1. You cannot ban any of these Users anymore! 2. All of them could use any of the reserved Nicknames. So A can use the nickname from B without any trouble.

You could just add the Users to your Friendlist and would know instantly if someone is a Faker or not. Could also use the Description for that.

Thread Information