Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

[Request] Real Overlay Plugin

I'd really love to see a real overlay plugin that would work like Ventrilo's overlay for example. It's goal will be stability and compatibility, because it would not depend on what type of graphics backend a game is using. Overlay would just work system-wide allowing to use it without running game at all. That would also reduce a code base and make it really simple and easy to use without loads of configuration options (check ini file of official overlay plugin).

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_lmd View Post
    It's goal will be stability and compatibility, because it would not depend on what type of graphics backend a game is using.
    How should this work? Afaik most games open an exclusive screen, you have to change the output of the game for an overlay.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan1200 View Post
    How should this work? Afaik most games open an exclusive screen, you have to change the output of the game for an overlay.
    Ventrilo does not hack into games to show overlay and it works perfectly. More info on how it works is on this page: http://www.ventrilo.com/overlay.php

because it would not depend on what type of graphics backend a game is using
    Funny, because if you do look down that page that you provided ...

However, there are some caveats to this mechanism.

1) Vista support. Click here for more details.
    2) Not all video cards support it properly. See the following list.
    3) Some games will not allow it to work. See the following list.

I'd really love to see a real overlay plugin that would work like Ventrilo's overlay for example.
    So, you have one, then stick to it.

Quote Originally Posted by willy_sunny View Post
    1) Vista support. Click here for more details.
    2) Not all video cards support it properly. See the following list.
    3) Some games will not allow it to work. See the following list.
    1. Vista is too old.
    2. Two very old video cards had issues with hardware overlay support in their drivers. Probably fixed long time ago.
    3. Four games known to do something really bad making hardware overlay not showing up (no crashes, no other issues, it just didn't show up). Most probably, video card driver issues, which were fixed long time ago.

Now, do you really believe that hack-style implementation that only has a list of few semi-working games, and not working outside games at all, is better? Seriously...

Now, do you really believe that hack-style implementation that only has a list of few semi-working games, and not working outside games at all, is better? Seriously...
    But there is still no documentation how they really do it. Currently we can just guess.

Might it be something that could help?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

And this is MSDN article that is mentioned on Ventrilo's overlay page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa916217.aspx
    Last edited by florian_fr40; September 7th, 2011 at 08:56 AM.

i tried the ventrilo overlay and it seems to have a lot of drawbacks. For example it doesn't work with fullscreen dx10/11 games and it blocks part the screen.
    But I'm trying to implement this kind of overlay into TSNotifier as an option.

You are my hero! <3

And yeah, I read up on MSDN that it requires application to be in windowed mode, but I remember Ventrilo's overlay worked for me in full screen. It was in WinXP/dx9 times though. Gonna try WoW/dx11 fullscreen mode on my current system (Win7 32-bit) and see if it works for me.

I just uploaded a rc-version of TSNotifier with hardware overlay support, you can download it using this link http://cfxxl.de/beta/TSNotifierBeta146WithHWOverlay.zip. This is not an installer, just a zip file. Extract it somewhere on your computer and run tsnotifier.exe. This version is not an official release and only for testing the hw overlay support.

To activate the overlay you have to right-click the tray icon and select General - Hardware Overlay - Enable. There is also an entry General - Hardware Overlay - Edit overlay.ini... that opens the overlay.ini file and let's you change some settings. You have to disable/enable the overlay or restart TSNotifier for before the changes take effect.

Works great! Found a little glitch: if I set width lower than 200 (tried 100 and 150), it appears messed up. Apart from that, everything is good.

Two feature requests:
    1. Can HW overlay be implemented as part of TS3 plugin dll itself?
    2. An option to only show overlay when someone is speaking.

1. For TSNotifier the plugin is only for collecting data and preparing it for TSNotifier itself. I don't want to change that. And there might also be problems with 64bit TS3.
    2. I can't promise but i'll try to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by cfxxl View Post
    1. For TSNotifier the plugin is only for collecting data and preparing it for TSNotifier itself.
    Yeah, I know. Was just hoping it wouldn't be hard to move HW overlay stuff into plugin and probably make a separate project. The problem with current implementation is that I have to start two programs instead on one. And it's hard to convince people to use it, because it's too complex for some.

Here is another rc-version: http://cfxxl.de/beta/TSNotifierBeta1...WOverlayV2.zip

I did some bugfixes and added 2 new options for the overlay.ini file:
    Code:
    overlay.border=(0|1) 
    ;draws a border around the overlay

overlay.showonlywhenspeaking=(0|1) 
    ;the show the overlay when someone is speaking (you have to deactivate General - Show others for this to work)

Thanks a lot! Works fantastic!

Thread Information