Forum

Notice to all users

We are migrating towards a new forum system located at community.teamspeak.com, as such this forum will become read-only on January 29, 2020

server setup using domain name help.

I want to run a Ts3 server on my windows 7 computer. I know how to set it all on the Ts3 but i dont know how i can make it work thought my ISP connection.

I have a dynamic connection to my ISP.
    I have a domain name and a website hosted though a web hosting company. They also allow DNS hosting with this plan.

I want to use a sub domain name for my TS server as i can not use the public address from my ISP i was wondering if this was possible? and how i could possible do this?

You're looking to setup a Dynamic DNS. Who is your web host? Most, if not all (that I'm aware of), offer Dynamic DNS.

Also, if you can't use your external IP, then it is not possible for people to connect to you. The DNS entry will resolve to your IP address. That is where Dynamic DNS comes in and will update your DNS entry for you every time your IP changes. Although, be aware that DNS updates can take up to 24 hours.

a good website to look into is no-ip.com i have used them for years

more questions

Quote Originally Posted by Soljia View Post
    You're looking to setup a Dynamic DNS. Who is your web host? Most, if not all (that I'm aware of), offer Dynamic DNS.

Also, if you can't use your external IP, then it is not possible for people to connect to you. The DNS entry will resolve to your IP address. That is where Dynamic DNS comes in and will update your DNS entry for you every time your IP changes. Although, be aware that DNS updates can take up to 24 hours.
    ok i have an external IP address that the ISP has but its a public one for i guess everyone in my area.
    I am using dyndns.org for my dynamic update. What ip should i use there? the public ip of my ISP or the static private ip of my server hosting the Ts3 server?

btw when i am trying to connect an external person to my server what should i use for the hostname? would it be the name i used for the dynamic Dns site?

Yes they HAVE to connect to your external IP address. They can also connect to your hostname.hostingsite.com address. As long as that address is a "A" record and points to your IP. And yes, the CNAME record should point to your external address. Also make sure you are forwarding the correct ports (9987,10011,30033) to the computer running the server. Search the forums for that, there is most defiantly a few posts on it.

Thread Information